Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do some people here advise against getting the 285/75 rather than 265/75? I like how my X looks with the stock 265/75 but i dont know if the tires will look small later on if i get a 2" lift.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It all started with people blowing diffs. The thought is that the larger tires put more stress on the diff. This is true to a point, but seeing as how people with 265/75R16's have blown diffs, I don't think it matters.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I think the bigger concern for most people was that their dealerships wouldn't honor the warranty in the event of a blown diff(s) because of 1" oversized tires.

I think someone determined that there was an official "Nissan approved", if you will, list of aftermarket tires that you could order through your dealership, and that there was a 287/75R16 BFG AT/KO on that list. I don't know if anyone has successfully used that in their defense.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
OregonX said:
I think the bigger concern for most people was that their dealerships wouldn't honor the warranty in the event of a blown diff(s) because of 1" oversized tires.

I think someone determined that there was an official "Nissan approved", if you will, list of aftermarket tires that you could order through your dealership, and that there was a 287/75R16 BFG AT/KO on that list. I don't know if anyone has successfully used that in their defense.
EXACTLY! The gas mileage concern is a distant second to me. I think it was USMC that posted about the 285's being on the dealers okay list, but that sounds like it may be a dealer specific item, and I've never actually verified this report.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
As far as the drivetrain is concerned, tire weight is a factor, not just diameter and width. Toyos (Open Country MT) in 285 75 16s are a whopping 68 lbs, more than 10 lbs more than comparable BFGs or Goodyear MT/Rs.

I like the look and traction of the slightly bigger 285s. And the 3/4" more ground clearance is well worth the gas mileage for me. And with the X's powerplant, I can still pass like the wind on the freeway.

Look at the new Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains. Great on the highway; excellent on the trail, not too heavy.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
mcampana said:
Muzikman must have magic tires. Or just drives ont he free way alot. Everyone ive talked to w the bigger tires says they lose on average 3 to 4 mpg.
I'm losing that much, no doubt, but I put the bigger tires on with everything else, so I don't know where the tires end and the winch, bigger fenders, etc begin as far as mpg loss.

My buddy who went to 285s and nothing else yet says he's losing 2.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I lost a total of 6 MPG after all my mods. And although it's not up to date, I'll show you the kind of record keeping I maintain that gives me these numbers.

http://jbeamphotos.com/users/jbeam/offroad/05Xterra/MileageBook.htm

My guess, the people you are talking to did not account for the inaccuracy of the speedometer/odometer as well as the fact that I went from 265/75R16's (32") to 285/75R16 (33"). If you just from the S/X model tires up to 285's, you will throw your speedometer/odometer off even more as well as hurt your MPG even more.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Good clarification, Jason. Yeah, if you've got an S you're going up almost 3" in diameter with the 285s. The web is filled with conversion charts: you're going more miles than your odometer is showing since it's based on wheel revolutions per mile and the rev number is set. Now it's less revs to go a mile so you have to control for that from the get-go.

Also, it's important to see the care that you need to take to get accurate mpg comparisons. There are many variables.

Jason, like you, I've probably lost more like 6 when all is said and done.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Correct me if I wrong. And I'll apologize up front for already being pissed and sounding like it. It's not aimed at you all so don't don't take it personally.

To the point. I don't recall a rash of blown diffs on the gen 1's when people went with bigger tires. The rear diff on the next gen has issues. Period. Nissan can try to deny it all they want. I have 2500 miles on my truck with stock 265/75R16's and the rear diff is being replaced. It was wrong the day I drove it off the lot. No off roading , lifts, skids, or bigger tires had anything to do with it.

Now maybe adding the bigger tires accentuates the problem but it's there to start. Maybe they are having a problem from the factory with inconsistent set ups of the diffs. Maybe that's all it is. I duuno. Hopefully they get it figured out. Other than that I love this truck and it's more than I could have asked for.

I just get hot when I start hearing how Nissan wants to make blanket statements about bigger tires and denying warranty claims on the diffs. OK, rant over. You can all ignore me now and go back to your normal constructive posting! :)

EDIT: BTW, most if not all of you don't know my automotive background. I used to be an engineer at FoMoCo. I did a stint in the factory as part of a product development team solving electrical production problems. Part of my job was taking dealer calls for approval on warranty claims. I never denied one. Not one single one. I never had a situation where I felt it wasn't justified. If I worked for Nissan in that capacity, they would fire my ass because after enough calls I'd be approving new diffs left and right! For the most part, the poor mechanic in the shop is trying to help the customer and That's who I was looking out for. The guy who bought the car. He's the guy that will keep you in a job.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
dezurtrat said:
I just get hot when I start hearing how Nissan wants to make blanket statements about bigger tires and denying warranty claims on the diffs.
You're 100% right though. And you have every right to be mad. If an offroad truck can't go to 33s, much less have a more or less dependable diff on stockers, then it's the manufacturer's fault.

·
on line
750 Posts
Definitely. The speedo difference going from 265/70/16s to 285/75/16s has been about 3mph for my X as measured by Garmin Legend Cx which has actually proven to be pretty accurate in the past at steady rates of speed.

The fuel gauge is about the most inaccurate POS I have ever owned. At halfway between 1/4 tank and empty I filled it up with 7.6 gallons??? So basically, it's about 4-5 gallons off.

Averaged about 16.15 MPG on an 800 mile roundtrip from Flagstaff to Sierra Vista this weekend. Half of the distance is level, the other half..hilly to very mountainous so not too terrible.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Not to try and get too off-track here, but for us guys who have the bigger tires is there a way to get our odometers & speedometers re-tuned so they're more accurate?
My scangauge tool that calculates fuel economy will take into account different diameter tires than what came on your vehicle stock and recalculate the mph and mpg's IIRC.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Not to try and get too off-track here, but for us guys who have the bigger tires is there a way to get our odometers & speedometers re-tuned so they're more accurate?
Currently there is not. It's all controlled inside the ECU so you would have to reprogram it, which Nissan says they can not do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts