Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Quick question and opinions needed. I'm currently looking at tires. Cooper Discoverer ATP to be exact. My Xterra is a DD. I work out of town all week and drive 150+ miles (depending where current project is) to work site Sunday night and then back home Friday. Currently the weekday driving is minimal, averaging less than 20 per day.

Now, taking her off road has been done mildly in stock form and will do so a bit more heavily when parts come, but nothing too extreme.

Between the two, I love the aggressiveness of the 285. I know both are capable off road. But, can I get some opinions or experience to help me decide between them with factoring in the mileage driven and the DD factor? Thanks! :help:

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I lost about 2mpg going from 265 to the 285's but i believe a larger factor than the size is the weight of the tire. The ones that came off the X weighed 35lb each and the new ones are 54 lb each.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I changed from P rated Hankook ATM 265/75 to Hankook MTs LT285/75 and went from 14.8mpg to 14.4 (mixed driving, 38-40psi). As long as I keep stay on top of air pressures, the mpg drop isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I lost about 1.5 - 2 mpg going to 285's. Mine is a DD.

The problem with 265's is ground clearance. I hit way less stuff when wheeling with the 285's and even less now with the lift. Plus, the added grip and flotation makes getting to where you're going that much easier and more fun.

Like it or not, we're driving a truck. It's going to get crappy mileage. Until auto makers finally step up and offer a med duty diesel in vehicles like we have in the US, we're stuck.

Reactions: Leonard4X4

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Slightly off topic here, but I would avoid the Discoverer ATP. They are extremely loud, as loud as the BFG M/Ts on my Rubicon, and I've had to have them rebalanced 6 times in 15k miles. I'm extremely disappointed in them. I've ran like 10 different A/TS over the yrs and while some are better than others, these are COMPLETE JUNK.

Btw, they have only had a decent balance a few times and are currently out of balance again. My Dest A/Ts were completely silent and never needed to be balanced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. With the clearance issues and manhood being called into play with the Prius comment haha. I will go with 285's. Also thanks for the heads up on the coopers.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yeah, the Prius comments were immature and uncalled for.

Its possible that I have a bad tire, but Discount tire swears up and down that I don't. If that's the case, then they are just poor quality tires. They are wearing very well and have good traction. I actually wish they weren't wearing so well so I could justify (to the wife) replacing them sooner. Lol.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yes, we know that Xterras are not mpg friendly but that doesn't mean that anytime someone makes a comment about the cost of gas or mpgs people should jump right away with the Prius comments. While true, the comment does not belong here as the Prius have been around for a while and people knows about them, and under that train of thought, it is why the Prius comment is seen as immature (I also think so). If someone wanted a Prius, don't you think they would have already gotten one?

We may or not have the money you have but regardless saving a buck or two in gas is great, especially when you have other responsibilities.

I really like driving my truck and I am not happy every time I need to put gas on it, because I wished I was able to drive longer without putting that amount of gas that often. I am doing whatever I can to save in gas but I also want to have the 285 tires and the 2" lift.

Am I going to get a Prius, no.
Do I like them, no.
Do I expect someone to tell me about the Prius, no.

I (like others) just want to tell what we would like out of our trucks, but that doesn't mean we can have it. What we look is for someone that knows how to save a buck or two in gas in their modded Xterras by doing X or Y thing, not to hear about Prius.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Back for a minute to the thrust of the original post:

Are 33" tires worth the hit in mileage?

How about this word problem:

When a particular truck is rated at a combined 16mpg (such as an '05 Xterra 4x4 Off Road with auto), and the average driver drives 12,000 miles per year, the average price for fuel in his/her area is $3.69/gal, a change from 265/75R16 tires to 285/75R16 typically results in a 2-3% drop in fuel mileage, and the larger tires cost on average $50/set more, what is the additional cost per year for "big meats?"

12,000 miles /16 mpg= 750 gallons per year x $3.69/gal. = $2,767.50 per year for fuel x 0.03 = $83.03 more per year in fuel.

$50 more for larger tires / 3 year average tire life (@ 12,000 miles/year) = $16.67 per year.

$83.03 + $16.67 = $99.70/year in increased cost going from 265/75R16 to 285/75R16, plus slightly more frequent brake/steering/suspension service due to the increased unsprung weight and rolling mass.

About a hundred bucks per year more? Even if my 6th grade math skills are completely bogus it doesn't seem like a lot to me in the total scheme of things, especially if I skip some other accessory that is more bling than function and can resist the temptation to add that $1,500 suspension or a Titan Swap to go with the new tires.

Did I just talk myself into 33s? :idea1:

·
Registered
499 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
^^^ lol.

With my 255/85r17 km2s I lost 2 mpg.
It appears with my 285/75r16 general at2s I appear to only have lost 1 although it is a bit early to tell.

It looks soooooo much better than my 265s! Well worth it and now I have a better excuse for volant and snorkle.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Back for a minute to the thrust of the original post:

Are 33" tires worth the hit in mileage?

How about this word problem:

When a particular truck is rated at a combined 16mpg (such as an '05 Xterra 4x4 Off Road with auto), and the average driver drives 12,000 miles per year, the average price for fuel in his/her area is $3.69/gal, a change from 265/75R16 tires to 285/75R16 typically results in a 2-3% drop in fuel mileage, and the larger tires cost on average $50/set more, what is the additional cost per year for "big meats?"

12,000 miles /16 mpg= 750 gallons per year x $3.69/gal. = $2,767.50 per year for fuel x 0.03 = $83.03 more per year in fuel.

$50 more for larger tires / 3 year average tire life (@ 12,000 miles/year) = $16.67 per year.

$83.03 + $16.67 = $99.70/year in increased cost going from 265/75R16 to 285/75R16, plus slightly more frequent brake/steering/suspension service due to the increased unsprung weight and rolling mass.

About a hundred bucks per year more? Even if my 6th grade math skills are completely bogus it doesn't seem like a lot to me in the total scheme of things, especially if I skip some other accessory that is more bling than function and can resist the temptation to add that $1,500 suspension or a Titan Swap to go with the new tires.

Did I just talk myself into 33s? :idea1:
I care a lot less about the hit in MPG than I do the loss in performance. That's why I didn't go over 32s. Mine came stock with 31s and I can tell a difference in power goign to 32s. 33s would be more of a power hit than I'm comfortable with. Also, it has to effect the handling.

I know I didn't buy it for performance, but the reason that I did buy it was because it offers reasonable power, handling, and performance while still having decent offroad ability.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts