·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alternator upgrade
Alternator: Mechman alternator 270 AMP 11256270
Belt: Dayco 5070862
M10 X 1.25 X 120mm bolt
This bolt is for upper bracket bolt. Mechman told me that the alternator stay is exactly same as OEM alternator. However, it is lie. OEM upper bolt is M10 X 1.25 X 110mm. This bolt is little bit short for the mechman alternator. So needed 120mm instead. Other than that, not require any modification at all. Even plug is 3 pins, not 2 pins like DC power.

8 foot for red and black 1/0 welding cable
I upgraded wires to 1/0 welding cable. Alternator to positive battery, ground negative engine block to negative battery, and ground engine to frame. Additionally, added ground alternator to frame too.
Hall sensor upgrade was pain, but not too bad. I used grease to let 1/0 cable pass through it, but needed patients a lot!

This alternator works fantastic now. When battery is low, it raises up voltage around 14.6 – 14.9. Indeed, the temp affects the voltage, but it never be over 15V. I live in north side of US.
When it is fully charged, it will go down around 13.2 when the car is stop. This alternator charges up very quick although I do not have much accessories now. The reason I upgrade the alternator was that I wanted to use power tools and air compressor like mobile work truck.
I tested 600W small heater for 10 minutes. The voltage did not change much like 0.2 V up and RPM slightly went up also like 750 RPM instead of 675 RPM. Hair dryer also worked too although I and my girlfriend will not use it… just tested how it works.

Thanks for Ghostmode for this

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Power inverter mod
Xantrex prowatt SW 2000 (up to 3000W) it is pure sine converter
15 foot red and black 1/0 welding cable (passthrough from passenger side firewall.)
It was not that bad also. I used metal hanger and pass through firewall from engine bay to inside first (I used grease before did this). Then, hook cable and fished it. it took me 1 hour for one cable. I asked my girlfriend to help where the tip of hanger comes from inside of passenger side. It took us just 15 mins. Lol……. So, I recommend do this way. Much faster!

Blue sea 7149 200 amp circuit breaker: continuous 200 amp and temporally up to 150 % for minute
This circuit breaker function as breaker, but also manually completely turn off power inverter. So you don’t need worry about killing battery overnight.
It is better option to buy circuit breaker and 200 amp continuous duty relay, but it cost more than double. This breaker costs me just $30. If I want buy reliable circuit breaker and relay costs me $80-100.

Digikey number: Q891-ND

Remote controller for the power inverter: Xantrex technology 808-9001
I installed this at the side of driver side console. So I can turn on converter by the switch. It is convenient since the power inverter is cargo area.

I don’t have this, but I might get this
Xantrex Prowatt SW auto transfer switch (8080915) :
Automatically toggles between AC power from the PROwatt SW inverter and AC power from another AC source such as utility or shore power to transfer to a single AC output such as a qualified load via a branch circuit
3 prong extension cord

Thanks for Surf and Snow and NUTSgoWEEE

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heated seat installation:
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/48326-how-install-heated-seats.html

Thanks for CroftonBilly
Currently I am using Exide 27 dual purpose marine battery.
• 575 cold cranking amps at 0-degree F
• 730 cranking amps or marine cranking amps at 32-degree F
• 160 minutes reserve capacity at 25-amp
• 100-amp at 20 hour (100 Ah) - reference rating

It is just $89 at homedepot now

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just ordered a 270amp alternator. Let me know how you like yours- mine's for air compressors, lights, tools etc though, not much stereo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Maverick;

I have used this alternator around 4 months now, and I am still so happy about this alternator. The other day, I used shop vacuum, minimum 120v 9amp = 1000w, for 10 mins or so. The voltage slowly went down to 12.5v from 13.5v, which was expected because the max vac wattage is estimated around 2000w. After finish using and driving around 15 mins or so, the battery was fully recharged. I really love this setting. So it should work without problem if you plan to use air compressor with this setting.

Currently, I am planning to install 300W pure sine inverter under the driver seat and the outlet with usb on back of the center console for back seat. This setting is for normal use or not heavy load usage to minimize non-load current usage. so I can leave on the 300w inverter all the time while driving. 3000W inverter will sips more non-load current than 300W so I leave 3000W inverter only for heavy load.

FYI, I highly recommend to get pure sine inverter instead of modified inverter because modified inverter could not turn on a lot of devices although pure sine inverter is more expensive than modified one. I got mine at pawn shop for $100. it is xantrex prowatt 2000W (3000W max).

let me know if you have question! good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

I have been using this setup for more than a couple months. The other day, I had to hook my 8A sander (120v X 8amp = 960w at normal condition, but it is going to suck up more than that at the beginning as you know) to the power inverter and did sanding for more than 30 mins with full power.
Men, this setting did not lower voltage at all. The inverter voltage meter shows between 14.1v and 14.2v. I am so impressed!
just update. I highly recommended if you plan to use X as mobile work truck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used a micro relay and a micro switch to cut the pwm signal to the alternator, this will allow the alternator to go full field on demand.
This way the computer will not cut the voltage down. It works awesome, and I have the same alternator. I have had zero issues with this.
I let the current flow to the alternator in the default state, when I energize the relay the pwm signal is cut, and full voltage is applied.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Ghostmode
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing