Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am told that 265/70/16 are the largest tires I can put on my x without doing a melt mod which is fine. Will the larger tires affect my gas mileage ? Just wondering-

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had 245/??/16 street tires, on the x when I got her, was getting 23 to 24 mpg.
I now have 265/75/16 of road tires on her and et 21 t0 22 mpg.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just yesterday I noticed I bought my X with 265/70/16 instead of 265/75/16. Obviously dealership put on her whatever they had when I asked them to put new tires on it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re:265/70/16

Thanks everybody- I basically want the bigger tires not only for the look- but also for handling and cornering- I have done this with previous SUV'S and it really makes a difference- just wanted some input- don't mind paying a little extra for gas!!!!:salute:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Dealerships are there to make money for their owners

Just yesterday I noticed I bought my X with 265/70/16 instead of 265/75/16. Obviously dealership put on her whatever they had when I asked them to put new tires on it?
Yes, they probably put on whatever was the least expensive tire that was an OEM type for an X.
If it had been a base model and the 265/75/16 was cheaper, they probably would have put those on it.
Unless you are very specific, cost and legal safety is the dealership's only goal.

·
on line
2,228 Posts
265/70R16 is the standard non-pro4x tire size.
265/75R16 is the larger size you get when you order the off-road/pro4x model. With that larger size you also get a lower final drive ratio to better match the taller tires.
Open the driver's door and read the tire pressure sticker, it lists the size tire that was installed when it left the factory.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes, they probably put on whatever was the least expensive tire that was an OEM type for an X.
If it had been a base model and the 265/75/16 was cheaper, they probably would have put those on it.
Unless you are very specific, cost and legal safety is the dealership's only goal.
Mine is 2007 off road, so should have had 265/75/16, not 70...Well, a lesson.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts