Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went to get an alignment at firestone, where all you guys seem to recommend and they do it but state that both camber and caster are right at the edge of in-spec. They recommend the camber kit for a grand total of $278 and change. I was like, aaaaaahhhhhhh, no. Why isn't that on the vehicle? Anyhow, they tell me that it does need it and i tell them i will call nissan to get them to cover. I call the nissan sm which of whom I have a good relationship with (he knows i don't BS) and at first he tells me it is not covered under warranty because it is an adjustment. I tell him, it will cost $300.00 total, he says wow, and puts me on hold, he comes back, states same thing and i tell him that the truck is missing a part that is necessary for an alignment to be done. SOrt of like missing a tie rod end. I tell him that nissan discontinued installing the kit in 2005 because it was not necessary. really?????????? Anyhow, I ask him if that's his final answer, he says yes, then I say, ok, I guess I will be emailing/calling corportate because this stinks big time. He then says, wait on that, i can help another way. Long story short, he is going to request a "good will gesture" kit/install. I shall see at my appointment next week. Anybody else need one of these kits on their xterra that didn't have alift??? I think it is total BS and nissan needs to have a recall or something......

last question:
who was the retard who thought this up????
* i mean no disrespect to the mentally retarded in the above statement.
I am applying that term to people who should know better and ACT like they don't.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
USArmyX said:
If your truck is truly out of alignment, than there is a TSB, that applies to you stating that they need to install the Cam Bolts http://www.mediafire.com/?eflsf93irnr I would take this with you to the dealer. He may know of this and that is what he is calling a "good will gesture".
awesome!!! here are my specs from firestone:

front

left right
after before range after before range

camber 1.1 1.2 -.3 -- 1.3 .3 .3 -.3 -- 1.3
caster 2.8 2.8 2.0 -- 3.5 2.8 2.8 2.0 -- 3.5
toe .15 -.10 .12 -- .20 .15 .33 .12 -- .20

front
after before range
cross camber .9 .9 -.8 --- .8
cross caster .0 .0 -.8 --- .8
total toe .3 .23 .24 --- .39

so it looks like all caster is dead on. toe was off a little and was corrected. camber is off a bunch more on the drivers side (left side) than the right side. I looked up camber being positive, which is what i have, and a cause can be a ball-joint. I have had some popping noises from the drivers side front sometimes, wonder if my ball joint is going bad?????? Anyhow, looks like they will install this kit and re-allign right??

·
on line
1,045 Posts
silverflash said:
Anyhow, looks like they will install this kit and re-allign right??
If you're talking about Firestone, it's a gamble....

I called one place, told them I was doing the lift and needed cam bolts, and they say they "would not install your parts". When I did the lift, I took it into a different place (still Firestone) and left them sitting on the passenger's seat and told them I had 'em if they needed 'em... they said no problem!

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Re: 20k miles - 4x4, NO LIFT or other mods - need the camber

silverflash said:
I call the nissan sm which of whom I have a good relationship with (he knows i don't BS) and at first he tells me it is not covered under warranty because it is an adjustment... Long story short, he is going to request a "good will gesture" kit/install...
Hmmm, seems like not as honest a guy as you might think, considering the TSB (or at best, clueless). This is why it is so important to be an educated consumer, and why places like this are so great! I hate to think of all the poor, uneducated folks out there who take their X in for an alignment and get screwed out of several hundred dollars like they were trying to do to you, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY!!! What a shame...

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 20k miles - 4x4, NO LIFT or other mods - need the camber

RockyMtnX said:
silverflash said:
I call the nissan sm which of whom I have a good relationship with (he knows i don't BS) and at first he tells me it is not covered under warranty because it is an adjustment... Long story short, he is going to request a "good will gesture" kit/install...
Hmmm, seems like not as honest a guy as you might think, considering the TSB (or at best, clueless). This is why it is so important to be an educated consumer, and why places like this are so great! I hate to think of all the poor, uneducated folks out there who take their X in for an alignment and get screwed out of several hundred dollars like they were trying to do to you, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY!!! What a shame...

exactly!!!!!! to me, if it needs an adjustment, and the parts are not there from the factory and those parts are required to keep car in spec, there should be a recall or tsb that is provided at no charge to the customer. if this falls through, you better believe I will :

a) install the things myself and pay 55.00 per side for the parts
b) take the truck back to firestone using my lifetime alignment.
c) white along email and certified letter to nissan corporate.

I have like 25 japanese sounding names that should get me somewhere, like the last time (oil change fiasco)...

I am also going to question why it is out in (camber is pos) the first place. ball joint???

and yes, thank god for places just like this!!! and i love the sm's response to when i tell him i read on the internet blah blah blah, he says " you can't believe what you read on the internet.. " well, i believe it over them (dealer who wants to make as much many as possible off of us suckers) anyday of the week..

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: just took the X to the dealer. The SM tells me if the cost is under $125.00 for the cam bolts, it will be considerd a good will and they can do it. I mentioned the tsb that is out there. He said it is an adjustment and it doesn't apply necessairly but he will look into it... ANyhow, I also asked about 30k miles service. $402.00 for a bunch of stuff i can easily do myself less the coolant flush. It does NOT include the tranny, diffs, transfer case. the Rep told me that the book is generic and the tranny fluid doesn't need changed out till 60k!!!!! Um, my manual says otherwise. Anyhow, the tranny flush will be, get this, $475.00!!!!!! What the???????????????????????????????????????

If in fact all we can use is nissans own brand of fluid and it has no equivelent as the manual states, shouldn't nissan do this for free? maybe charge for the labor? Doesn't the magnus warranty act state that the manufacturer cannot make you use their own parts/fluid unless they provide them to you for free?????? That just seems ridiculous almost 500.00!!!!!!!!!! I have the auto btw...

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and they didn't even offer me a jar of vaseline!!!!

well, i suppose i will check around to see how much labor would be elsewhere if i provide the trans fluid. To me, since nissan does not say "or equivalent" in their literature regarding fluid for the tranny for US customers (note they do have another listing for canada, why???) , they should provide the fluid free of charge because if they don't, it is a violation of the magnus (spelling is wrong more than likely) warranty act requiring customers to have to use their branded fluid with no other option. Ever hear of a monopoly??? I will see how that goes in another 10-20k miles....

:)

but first things first, i am anxious to see how they react to the cam bolt install. it should be a warranty item since obviously, my xterra needs the camber bolts...and i don't have any lifts or any other mods besides the bull-bar. oh wait, that might void the warranty out on the suspension due to the excessive weight.. ;-) it's funny, i mentioned the split second rattle on cold engine startup to the service writer and she told me that if i am not using a nissan oil filter, this will happen. I am like, it started on the second change with the nissan oil filter. I always use either nissans filter or a much better one, like the mobile 1 extended life.....

amazes me they think i am that dumb...

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE 2:

dealer just called, get this, their results are the complete OPPOSITE of firestones's. My toe is out and camber/caster are all within specs!!!!

WTF??? SO one of them doesn't have a clue, now which one???

All i can do now is go back to firestone and have then redo the alignment and try to match nissan's.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, here's the deal. back from the dealer and went o another firestone on the way back to work. the firestone place found toe to be out and camber fine. they adjusted it but the printout didn't print right so they didn't have before and actual numbers. the tech did fill in the before number from memory but they are way way off of the dealers numbers...

it seems to track better and ride better, do i care at this point or do i keep fighting the good fight? i can't see how 3 different alignment racks come up with totally differing answers...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts