Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
It looks good! Albeit just a Wrangler with a nearly unusable bed on it. I'd almost guarantee it'll start at $45k considering the base model 4door Jeep JL starts around $38k. Which is outrageous for how little comes in them. I'd pay the $35k for a base model 4Runner before I'd ever pay $38 for a base model Wrangler that comes with steel wheels and hand crank windows.

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Impressive features on the Rubicon. Dana 44 front/rear. 4.10 gears. 4-to-1 transfer case. Comes with 33" MTs. Would save us a lot of trouble of doing the modding yourself... however, I don't think it saves you any money. I'm guessing the Rubicon will be $60k plus?

Also Jeep is trolling by having it not share suspension with the existing JL lol. No swapping parts.

Still, it is cool and there is nothing else like it. I'll be excited to see it around.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
They are looong, like longer than the jku which already has a pretty long WB for offroading.

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
It will never see the dust of off roading on its tires.
Lies, it will have tons of off-road dust on its tires. Every time one of us in an Xterra pulls up beside them to take a picture for the Off Road/Not Off Road section, some of the dirt from our tires will get on theirs...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Here's a list of things on it that someone took. I've seen it thrown around that the suspension parts on it for the rear are similar to the Ram Rebel 1500. Dunno how true that would be. Also it seems that now only the front sway bar is detachable per this pic anyway.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
motor trend I believe had an article on it.

going to be stupid expensive, has its own unique suspension set up so no borrowing from the JL, and I fear its going to have the usual quality issues

but dam if it doesn't look absolutely awesome

·
on line
14,613 Posts
I will probably look at buying one.

The aftermarket will be amazing on release as opposed to what we have gone through with the Xterra.
And the fact that I like overlanding a little more now than rock crawling.

It will still get pin stripped in the desert and there will be a certain element that actually uses it for off roading, contrary to the opinions here.

The wheelbase will be 138 inches and the Land rover company will make a NEW defender made similar to an older model with 130 inch wheelbase(see bottom of post)

All-new 2020 Jeep Gladiator: The Most Capable Midsize Truck Ever

Legendary 4x4 Capability, Authentic Design Builds on Rich Jeep Truck Heritage, Best-in-class Towing and 4x4 Payload, Clever Functionality and Versatility, Advanced Fuel-efficient Powertrains, Open-air Freedom and Loaded with Safety Features and Intuitive Technology

Unmatched capability with Command-Trac and Rock-Trac 4x4 systems, third-generation Dana 44 axles, Tru-Lock electric front- and rear-axle lockers, Trac-Lok limited-slip differential, segment-exclusive electronic sway-bar disconnect and 33-inch off-road tires
Unmatched crawl ratios
Up to 30 inches of water fording
Best-in-class towing and 4x4 payload:
Up to 7,650 pounds of towing capacity
Up to 1,600 pounds of payload capacity
Crew cab configuration features a durable five-foot steel bed with covered external power source and strong integrated tie-downs, providing versatility for flexible cargo options
Modern, authentic design instantly recognizable as a Jeep:
Iconic keystone-shaped grille, round headlamps and square tail lamps
Rugged-yet distinguished design bolsters aerodynamics
Convenient fold-down windshield for off-road purists
The only true open-air 4x4 pickup truck with easy-to-use premium soft top and two hardtops
Dozens of different door, top and windshield combinations
Lightweight, high-strength aluminum doors, hinges, hood, fenders, windshield frame and tailgate help curtail weight and boost fuel economy
Suspension tuned to optimize on-road handling and ride comfort without sacrificing off-road capability, payload or towing capability
Advanced fuel-efficient powertrains:
3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine with Engine Stop-Start (ESS)
Eight-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission
3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 with ESS and an eight-speed automatic transmission available in 2020
Fourth-generation Uconnect system includes Apple Carplay, Android Auto and the choice of 7.0- or 8.4-inch touchscreens with pinch-and-zoom capability
Forward-facing off-road camera available on Rubicon allows obstructions on the trail to be easily seen
Packed with more than 80 available advanced safety and security features

Although if Land rover comes out with a new defender at the same time we will have to compare specs.
And as Land Rover has said this will be available globally and the USA is on the globe. :grin:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a19726898/the-grid-4-10-2018/
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2019-new-and-future-cars-land-rover-defender/

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180409/OEM04/180409752/next-defender-likely-to-stick-to-boxy-roots?profile=1657
This is a link to a custom defender 130 (inch wheel base)
https://ecdautodesign.com/custom-ecd-d130/

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I wonder how a RTT would fit over the bed, that with a set of pull out drawers under it in the bed this could be a pretty cool "overland rig"

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I wonder how a RTT would fit over the bed, that with a set of pull out drawers under it in the bed this could be a pretty cool "overland rig"
Similar to any Tacoma Crew Cab. I think bed length is nearly the same on both.

Honestly I'd be looking at these in 2020 with the Diesel option and outfitting them. The AM is a huge plus and I need a truck again but unlike some I don't need a "Super Duty" one. I don't do any hardcore offroading so a truck would suit my needs better considering what I carry. Not saying i'll get rid of the X but as another vehicle (Probably sell the LC since I can get more than I paid for it).

·
Registered
308 Posts
So after writing 2 very lengthily responses and the deleting them, I'll say this:

-It's a jeep (take that for what you will)

-it looks goofy to me in stock form but I'm sure it will have enough lift, wheel, and armor options to make it look amazing(or awful) in it's owners eyes

-It will be too expensive for me to ever justify buying one (thus rendering my opinions useless)

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
So after writing 2 very lengthily responses and the deleting them, I'll say this:

-It's a jeep (take that for what you will)

-it looks goofy to me in stock form but I'm sure it will have enough lift, wheel, and armor options to make it look amazing(or awful) in it's owners eyes

-It will be too expensive for me to ever justify buying one (thus rendering my opinions useless)
ditto on #3 haha! That's the size truck I wouldn't mind having. The bed is almost useless-ly small, but would suffice for what I'd need it for. But...to not get the strip down model it'll cost more than a Pro-4X Frontier or TRD Tacoma (TRD Pro Taco even...), so I'd never be able to justify it over one of those I don't think.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ditto on #3 haha! That's the size truck I wouldn't mind having. The bed is almost useless-ly small, but would suffice for what I'd need it for. But...to not get the strip down model it'll cost more than a Pro-4X Frontier or TRD Tacoma (TRD Pro Taco even...), so I'd never be able to justify it over one of those I don't think.
Yeah and if you are willing to buy a used vehicle, 38k could get you a well appointed fullsize truck with around 30k miles or less.

I understand that not everyone NEEDS a fullsize truck but dang for the same money it's nice to have the extra space, power, and towing capacity if things ever change (can tow a lot more camper with a titan than fronty) just sayin...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

**** even the Colorado zr2 duramax is in the 40s....

1 - 20 of 54 Posts