Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've been following it for a while and I have to say it's got everything people have been begging Toyota to put in the Tacos. Locking front diff (that allows you to use it in any mode from what I've read), factory sliders (though not sold on the bolted on body rather than frame) and a diesel option. Also comes with some nice tires factory.

I also read it was planned to come with electronic sway disconnects back when all the specs were out but now that it's been released I haven't seen anything to support that though.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Saw them at 50k at dealer, so imagine for fully loaded diesel...no thanks. Sure it's a nice truck and all, but that price is disgusting (what trucks aren't anymore though)

Had a 99 S10 ZR2 xtra cab, 5 speed, when they were still new...great little truck and affordable then...came with a lot you couldn't get in regular versions, incl frame, hd rear axle, etc and other than lobgwheelbase -being truck- and IFS, that thing did great off road, right outta box and decent power at time.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Saw them at 50k at dealer, so imagine for fully loaded diesel...no thanks. Sure it's a nice truck and all, but that price is disgusting (what trucks aren't anymore though)

Had a 99 S10 ZR2 xtra cab, 5 speed, when they were still new...great little truck and affordable then...came with a lot you couldn't get in regular versions, incl frame, hd rear axle, etc and other than lobgwheelbase -being truck- and IFS, that thing did great off road, right outta box and decent power at time.
I would say trucks fall under the luxury category nowadays as far as pricing goes. Cost of them has dramatically went up but job-pay has stagnated. I can buy some homes in my area for cheaper than a new truck nowadays abit single and double wide trailers. My dad way back when bought an 01 Taco Offroad model for a little under 20k and still drives it today with nearly 200k on it. He has no plans on trading it in for a new one due to the prices. It's starting to catch up as well as sales of trucks and SUVs has fallen though the cheap MPG cars have risen. 2016 was a good year though from what I've read though but that could be due to the sales and rebates I saw everywhere.

The real downside I think is people babying their trucks. I've known people who wouldn't haul anything in their bed for fear of scratching it....

·
Registered
147 Posts
If I were in a position to drop that kind of coin on a truck, I'd own a ZR2 with the Duramax option, by far my favorite truck out right now, unless of course Dodge decided to put a Cummins in the Power Wagon.

·
TNX Veteran
3,565 Posts
It's ugly to me (front lights are too round, the bumper in front of the front tire area looks weird) but for it seems like a "reasonable" price nowadays for a capable truck with front and rear lockers, skids, and sliders, and very advanced shocks from the factory.

Would you rather have this in a diesel or a new base-model Ford Raptor which is about a similar price?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I did stop and see one a month or so ago - after this thread and reading the reviews on Xpedition Portal. I looked at a normal trim version, as 50K for a vehicle is asinine. The materials used on the standard interior are worse than my 2011 Fronty (I paid much less for btw), but the seating was still comfy. The back seat in the CC was very narrow - maybe only 8 or 10 inches wide, my fat but barely fit on it. Its worse than a Jeep JKU - so you might as well just save the money and buy the extended cab since the CC back seat is worthless.

Having said that, its nice to see GM trying to at least compete with Toyota in the mid size market, and appearance wise I think its a winner. The diesel option is probably a hot button for some. Competition is good for everyone in the end.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
That can't be right can it? X nerf bars are bolted to the body and we all know how well they perform as sliders..
Yep the factory sliders are in fact bolted onto the body rather than frame. Saw the head designer talking about them on TFLTruck stating that they held up to all the testing they did and yeah until I see that in real world use I'm not sure on it. I've seen vids of various vehicle nerf steps that were attached to the body (The Xterra included) and one hit and smash right up but who knows maybe GM figured something out.... >:)

I've yet to see this truck in person but have see the regular Colorado quite a bit. I like all the specs on this thing and hope it helps to change the offroad truck market a bit. Maybe it will put some pressure on Toyota and Nissan to put in front lockers and have diesel options.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looked one over when I dropped my GF's Cruze off for service. Looks nice, but still quite large on the outside vs the space you get on the inside.

And I wondered what else other than the roof the "Roof Lights" light up? Kind of useless way back there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i had a 99 zr2 blazer until i traded it for my x. great truck off road, just needed more doors :)

in 10 years, i'll be trading in the x for one of these...

·
Registered
494 Posts
...My dad way back when bought an 01 Taco Offroad model for a little under 20k...
This is what has killed the market for anyone that doesn't make over $100k/year, IMHO. I remember not too long ago (maybe 15+ years ago) that you could buy a brand new truck (Frontier, ZR2, Tacoma, etc) for a reasonable $25k or less. Hell, you could even get a full sized truck for under $30k. Granted, they were bare bones compared to today's rigs with all of their electronic doodads. Everything now is so ridiculously over priced, it's no wonder sales are down for midsize trucks. A fully loaded F-250 runs north of $70k!!

Can't touch hardly anything for under $40k these days.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,441 Posts
This is what has killed the market for anyone that doesn't make over $100k/year, IMHO. I remember not too long ago (maybe 15+ years ago) that you could buy a brand new truck (Frontier, ZR2, Tacoma, etc) for a reasonable $25k or less. Hell, you could even get a full sized truck for under $30k. Granted, they were bare bones compared to today's rigs with all of their electronic doodads. Everything now is so ridiculously over priced, it's no wonder sales are down for midsize trucks. A fully loaded F-250 runs north of $70k!!

Trucks are the bread and butter of GM and Ford. With their profit margin, I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of that cost was profit. I wish they would use more cross-over components like they did in the past. Every model having unique dash, seats, trim, nav system and so on it a lot of the cost. Inflation has a big role to play too. Materials cost more, labor costs more, taxes etc etc... all that gets passed down to the consumer.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

It has nothing to do with making 100K a year - its about making people who can't afford it car debt slaves for the next 8 years. I heard on the radio the other day some kia dealer promising anyone making $450.00 a weak was "guaranteed" $30K in financing. Google subprime auto loans if you don't believe me.

BTW - I am one of those people making 100K a year, and I refuse to pay 40K for a taco, or whatever. The key to accumulating wealth is more about how little you spend, than how much you make. My 2008 Xterra, which I bought new, now has 283,000 miles on it and I like it fine.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I paid less than 30K for my rig and the upgrades (6-7k$). Paid less, better (IMHO), and I built it.

I have a '99 Silverado Z71 as a beater truck (hand-me-down, was my dad's.) It's a piece of ****. The frame, powertrain, suspension's all good, but the body and all those bells and whistles are crap and only half work. Materials are cheap in both feel and look. Maybe GM's gotten better after 18 years..... but I wouldn't pay $50k to find out.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
At some point in the last 10-15 years. The full size truck became a status symbol. Instead of people buying a truck for truck stuff, now everyone with money buys them for luxury status with no intent of doing truck stuff. Thus trucks are now all luxury, as fancy as a loaded Mercedes and cost nearly as much. Ruined it for everyone else who may actually need a newer truck for its original purpose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts