Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fast idle at start in the morning before it settles down . I idles at about 700 at first start .Idle is rough ....any thoughts as to cause and how to correct?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Any codes? Start by checking your plugs and coils.

Also define rough. Our engines aren’t exactly known for their smoothness. Both my X’s had a very high startup idle that dropped to under 1,000 after a few seconds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zanethan it is the same . Should the plugs and coils be changed at 70K ? Just got the Truck. So far its been a blast !

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thanks Zanethan it is the same . Should the plugs and coils be changed at 70K ? Just got the Truck. So far its been a blast !
Maintenance interval is 100k on the plugs but it’s possible there could be something leading to an early failure. I suspect it’s just normal operation start up. A video may help determine if it’s an abnormal startup idle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the carfax and the prior owner was religious with having everything done at the correct millage ...at he dealer . Will have it checked out at next oil chage at dealer so that I can get complete inspection....

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hmmm 2015 and only 68K miles and already having idling problems.. weird. There's got to be something loose. Like zanethan said, check your plugs or coils. While it's idling, wiggle your coil harnesses to see if the idle catches back on smooth.. this happened to one of my other cars and it turned out to be a loose coil wire. I just unclipped it and crimped it tighter and plugged the wire back in.. everything ran smooth after that. Easy check and fix if you're lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts