Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 2015 Xterra S 4x4 and am looking at possibly upgrading some options in the realm of suspension.

I guess my question has several parts. To start, I am not really looking to lift it. (But I am toying with the idea) I am, however, looking to upgrade the suspension. When I have my back full of gear or a bunch of friends I bottom out a lot. Therefore, I am looking at upgrading the suspension. What would be your choice of suspension system upgrades? I hunt out of my vehicle a lot and drive on 4x4 roads. I would not need to get lockers or anything at this point. Would the standard pro-4x stuff be the go-to options? or is there something else I should look at?

Secondly, are there any "must do" upgrades to an S trim for someone who is going to use it for off-roading/hunting? (other than suspension)

I had another question, but I forgot it since I was driving and did not write it down.

Thanks in advance for your advice/help!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
1. Order a set of rear leaf springs from General Springs. Your rear springs are weak and sagging.
2. Replace your rear shocks. Bilstein 4600s are a popular upgrade.
Look into a set of front struts which will allow some leveling to the truck.

Reactions: HanCholo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been doing more research, and it looks like if I wanted to upgrade the suspension to at least the PRO-4X stuff, it would cost around $1200-$1500 for parts.

I have found a lot of mentions of nisstec and their suspension/lift kits that are going for about $2200. That sounds like the best long term option. Anyone have any issues with these kits, or any suggestions on them?

Thanks again for any input!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have been doing more research, and it looks like if I wanted to upgrade the suspension to at least the PRO-4X stuff, it would cost around $1200-$1500 for parts.

I have found a lot of mentions of nisstec and their suspension/lift kits that are going for about $2200. That sounds like the best long term option. Anyone have any issues with these kits, or any suggestions on them?

Thanks again for any input!
My dealings with them have gone real well. Call and talk to them.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Nice kit

When the time comes, I will probably go with the
Rancho Quick Lift Struts (2" lift to level the X) apx $450 Amazon
Bilstein or Rancho 9000 rear shocks apx $200 for the pair
General Springs standard leaf springs apx $280 Online

Total Price apx $930 + misc hardware cost

I wouldn't save alot over the Nisstec package, but I would gain a new leaf pack rather than an add-a-leaf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Just a Hunter That's what I would do if I could do it all over again.

I called nisstec lifts when I was ordering to begin with. They seemed to be nice and helpful. However, they talked me into ordering their product. All the other kits I was looking at were out of stock and I was needing the items in a couple weeks and could not wait for items on back order. They told me they had it in stock and it would most likely ship by the end of the week or next week. (ordered on a Tuesday 8/18)

Since they said they were going to ship UPS Ground that Friday or the beginning of next week, I took off the first week in September and reserved a stall in a friends garage, offering to pay him to use his shop and tools to do the work myself. When I did not get a shipping confirmation I started to worry. After 13 days I called them to ask about the order. When I spoke to the same employee who "helped" me the first time he said they have some of the parts on order and they do not know when they will even be back in stock. Now I have taken a week off work for nothing and I possibly took business away from a friend's garage for nothing.

When I asked to cancel the order they said they would automatically have to charge me a 20% "restocking fee." You read that right, a RESTOCKING FEE on something they literally don't even have in their shop. They lied to me in order to get me to order their product, stating it was in stock and would ship in time, then tried to charge me a $340 fee for nothing. Not even an apology during the entire conversation.

I normally like to give my business to privately owned companies, but I was stay away from nisstec.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If you treat a customer correctly, you may earn a new customer through their referral.
If you treat a customer poorly, your likely to lose a dozen customers as they will let everyone know of their experience

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
295 Posts
Nice kit

When the time comes, I will probably go with the
Rancho Quick Lift Struts (2" lift to level the X) apx $450 Amazon
Bilstein or Rancho 9000 rear shocks apx $200 for the pair
General Springs standard leaf springs apx $280 Online

Total Price apx $930 + misc hardware cost

I wouldn't save alot over the Nisstec package, but I would gain a new leaf pack rather than an add-a-leaf
I would look closely at the RS9000 before ordering them.
I spoke with Rancho extensively on them when I was looking for new shocks on my F-350 and was considering either the RS9000 and Bilsteins. Since I only use my F-350 for towing and not off-roading they suggested the RS9000 because they are a low pressure gas shock mainly used for heavy loads and the oil would heat up off-road and being a heavy and stiff vehicle the adjustability would be helpful. Even the guy at Rancho said if it was a lighter vehicle and used for off roading the Bilstein would be better due to the valving and high pressure gas charge but would be stiffer on-road.
I will say that the first time out towing with the 9000's I set them to #8 clicker and the rode was so brutal my wife was complaining and w had to pull ove and turn them down to #4 and it was like a new truck. The ride was smoother and more comfortable than the stock FX-4 Rancho's. I will also say if you are in the rust belt the 9000's are notorious for the adjusters locking up and the shock is no longer adjustable.

On the X I wouldn't consider the 9000's and after the initial adjustment I don't know anyone that has ever touched the adjusters again.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
^^^^^
First hand advice is always appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I would look closely at the RS9000 before ordering them.
I spoke with Rancho extensively on them when I was looking for new shocks on my F-350 and was considering either the RS9000 and Bilsteins. Since I only use my F-350 for towing and not off-roading they suggested the RS9000 because they are a low pressure gas shock mainly used for heavy loads and the oil would heat up off-road and being a heavy and stiff vehicle the adjustability would be helpful. Even the guy at Rancho said if it was a lighter vehicle and used for off roading the Bilstein would be better due to the valving and high pressure gas charge but would be stiffer on-road.
I will say that the first time out towing with the 9000's I set them to #8 clicker and the rode was so brutal my wife was complaining and w had to pull ove and turn them down to #4 and it was like a new truck. The ride was smoother and more comfortable than the stock FX-4 Rancho's. I will also say if you are in the rust belt the 9000's are notorious for the adjusters locking up and the shock is no longer adjustable.

On the X I wouldn't consider the 9000's and after the initial adjustment I don't know anyone that has ever touched the adjusters again.
Yeah thanks for the reviews because I was considering exactly what Just a Hunter was considering. I've read from some user's that they put a dab of anti-seize on the adjusting knob so it doesn't rust up. Seems to be working for them.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
295 Posts
It's not the knob that freezes up, it's the actual plunger that the plastic knob pushes on that goes into the shock body. The best idea is to pull the knob of and use some waterproof grease once a year but honestly the clickers aren't something you mess with much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts