Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 6MT Metallic Blue
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thank you in advance for reading this post.

I was replacing the battery on my 2015 Xterra Pro-4X 6MT and when I turn the car over afterwards, the interior climate control fan was blowing at max regardless of knob position and all the climate controls as well as AC were non-responsive. I thought that I could have blown the Blower Motor Resistor or the Front Blower Relay, so I replaced them both without any change in status. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you again.

·
on line
2,243 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and hooking it back up?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Early 2010:

Thank you for the reply, sadly, I disconnected the negative battery lead and reconnected in 15 min, no joy, blower still goes full steam with a dead climate control panel.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Early 2010:

Thank you for the reply, sadly, I disconnected the negative battery lead and reconnected in 15 min, no joy, blower still goes full steam with a dead climate control panel.
So when you disconnect a battery you generally want to disconnect the Positive terminal first not the negative.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, thank you, for that, I disconnected the entire battery, waited 5 minutes and reconnected, still not working. Did not check fuses, but may just have to take it into dealership to hopefully get some answers.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Keep us updated

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello, thank you, for that, I disconnected the entire battery, waited 5 minutes and reconnected, still not working. Did not check fuses, but may just have to take it into dealership to hopefully get some answers.
If you disconnected the positive terminal first you may have shorted a relay/electronic component out somewhere. When reconnecting the battery you should reattach the positive terminal last.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you disconnected the positive terminal first you may have shorted a relay/electronic component out somewhere. When reconnecting the battery you should reattach the positive terminal last.
I've always done:

Disconnect negative then positive
Connect positive then negative.

Check fuses before you bring it in.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello, all, another thing I noticed that that when I start the car or put the key in the ON position all of the needles in the instrument cluster (eg. tachometer, speedometer, etc.) pulsate or quiver for about 5 seconds before dropping to their resting positions. Did not notice this before, but I thought I'd mention it in case it was somehow relevant. Thank you for the tip jcco regarding the fuses, will check soon and report. Take care all.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've always done:

Connect positive then negative.

Check fuses before you bring it in.
Interesting enough I've read articles that suggest opposing methods of connect/reconnect procedures. Although there seems to be some reasoning for both I think I am altering my method to:

Connect positive then negative

Live and learn I guess.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello everyone, quick update, I replaced fuses in positions 1, 4, 8, 19, 23, and 25 with correction of the instrument cluster needle flutter on startup problem. Also, power to the climate controls has been restored with almost complete resumption of operation though the fan still runs even when the fan control knob is off. So I may still take it to the dealership to get it checked out. I just hope it isn't a faulty/damaged Body Control Module (BCM) as that would be expensive. Anyway, will report back. Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good evening all, well I finally got the girl fixed. Following successfully replacing the aforementioned fuses, I went ahead and ordered a couple of replacement parts from AutoZone, namely new front blower motor resistor (Duralast JA1808) and a new front blower motor relay (Duralast 20228). I disconnected the both battery terminals just to be safe, let it sit for about two hours, then replaced the relay and the resistor and reconnected the battery (positive terminal first then negative) and voila, problem solved, climate controls are back to normal and the fan is working nominally. Thank you all for the advise, I am glad I figured this out on my own, but I would not have had it not been for all the contributors on this forum.

·
on line
2,243 Posts
Wow that was a lot of fuses that were all bad. Very strange. Good that you figured it out.

As for disconnecting negative first, if you swing the wrench and touch something by accident nothing happens. Disconnecting positive first you risk the wrench touching a ground (body, battery hold down, random bracket) and this can cause a nasty zap. Also it is possible to get a mild shock off 12V. Rare, I had it happen once, but a charged car battery can give you a little tingle. Especially if you are a bit sweaty and have some good conductive skin. I have never seen a good published document that says to unhook power before ground, it is always safer to pull the ground first. (maybe home AC power it would be better the other way around).

Reactions: notabiker

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow that was a lot of fuses that were all bad. Very strange. Good that you figured it out.

As for disconnecting negative first, if you swing the wrench and touch something by accident nothing happens. Disconnecting positive first you risk the wrench touching a ground (body, battery hold down, random bracket) and this can cause a nasty zap. Also it is possible to get a mild shock off 12V. Rare, I had it happen once, but a charged car battery can give you a little tingle. Especially if you are a bit sweaty and have some good conductive skin. I have never seen a good published document that says to unhook power before ground, it is always safer to pull the ground first. (maybe home AC power it would be better the other way around).
Yup, I ALWAYS d/c ground first for that exact reason! You wear a wedding ring or other rings and bump your hand against the body while the wrench is on the positive and touching your ring and the ground is still connected. That is a LOT of amps going through your ring, possibly melting it to your finger in the process. Always negative first then positive, common sense..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just picked up a new to us ...but used 14 P4X. Realized the AC blower wouldn't shut off. Replaced the resistor and then relay as suggested by this thread. Worked like a charm. Thanks to everyone who contributed to what became a quick fix for me!

UPDATE: It was fine for a day, now the motor blower is stuck ON all the time, again. UGH! I hate electrical.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts