Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently got an Atoto S8 Gen 2 to put in my X. I have the touchscreen nav OEM stereo so I wanted to clear up some misconceptions I've seen on forums and Crutchfield for the Atoto install for THIS specific OEM stereo.

1. You don't need the bluetooth bypass module that Crutchfield says you need. That is only for the non-nav stereo. On the nav unit Bluetooth is built into the head unit.

2. You can use the Metra 70-7552 or 70-7553 harness. I used a revised 7552 with the Scosche SLC4 line out converter. The 7553 with RCA connections to Atoto preamp out will work, but I wanted the ability to fine tune the gain. With the preamp outs you are stuck and I don't believe the amp output from the Atoto exactly matches the OEM unit. I also could not find a revised version of the 7553 with the SWC wires built in (See #3).

3. The revised 7552 harness that includes the SWC wires (2 keys plus ground):
You can use the Metra 7552 but you'll need to tap the OEM harness directly since the Metra harness does not have these wires (or install extra pins).

4. You don't need the Axxess SWC module. The OEM stereo uses the 2-wire SWC key setup the Atoto is looking for. Get the revised harness from #3 and wire directly to the Atoto. I fed all the ground wires (unit and harnesses) to one ground point behind the radio.

Hopefully this will save some people some time/money. I went through a few different harnesses not knowing that most people have the non-nav RF Stereo but assume its the same connections as the nav unit (as Crutchfield does).

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
88 Posts
I have an S8 in my Pro-4X. I added the extra pins but I don't have the upgraded 7552, just the original one.

To save even a little more money and time, bypass the factory amp so you won't need the Scosche line out converter. The volume is much louder since I bypassed it and ditched the Scosche. I leave my unit's volume on the 2nd or third lowest setting and it's pretty loud. I'm running an aftermarket exhaust with no rear cats and the third lowest setting will drown out the exhaust.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an S8 in my Pro-4X. I added the extra pins but I don't have the upgraded 7552, just the original one.

To save even a little more money and time, bypass the factory amp so you won't need the Scosche line out converter. The volume is much louder since I bypassed it and ditched the Scosche. I leave my unit's volume on the 2nd or third lowest setting and it's pretty loud. I'm running an aftermarket exhaust with no rear cats and the third lowest setting will drown out the exhaust.
How did you bypass the amp? Seems like that would take more time as don't you have to run wires from the S8 to the output side of the amp to the speakers?

Some posts said the LOC decreases sound quality but I don't notice any difference.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,469 Posts
midd, Are you running the factory speakers with new wiring to them (to bypass the factory amp)?

packpride85 - thanks for this tip. I'm about to do an install and wondered why I needed that steering wheel control adapter when the RF/Nav and aftermarkete android head units already have the capability to interface directly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
midd, Are you running the factory speakers with new wiring to them (to bypass the factory amp)?

packpride85 - thanks for this tip. I'm about to do an install and wondered why I needed that steering wheel control adapter when the RF/Nav and aftermarkete android head units already have the capability to interface directly.
A few other things I noticed:

1. I found that wired CarPlay does not work routing the USB connection through the OEM USB port (using the Metra AX-NIUSB-2 retention harness). It would work when bypassing the OEM retention harness. I kept the retention harness installed as I use the wireless CarPlay all the time and the USB port will still charge the phone.

2. If using wireless CarPlay on the S8, the connection will remain active for about 2 min after turning the car off. After that point it should automatically disconnect. I believe that is the timeout for the S8 when it goes into standby vs full off.

Very happy with the S8 so far.

·
Registered
'06 Off Road & '11 Pro-4X
236 Posts
4. You don't need the Axxess SWC module. The OEM stereo uses the 2-wire SWC key setup the Atoto is looking for. Get the revised harness from #3 and wire directly to the Atoto. I fed all the ground wires (unit and harnesses) to one ground point behind the radio.
I wonder if that harness will work on an '06 with the Rockford Fosgate system, despite being listed for '07 and up... Got an Atoto F7 Pro (8" screen) for the Xterra / my son, for Christmas, and it would be nice to avoid the extra cost of the Axxess module.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if that harness will work on an '06 with the Rockford Fosgate system, despite being listed for '07 and up... Got an Atoto F7 Pro (8" screen) for the Xterra / my son, for Christmas, and it would be nice to avoid the extra cost of the Axxess module.
The 2006 X with RF has completely different connectors. The only harnesses available are the metra or PAC:

The OEM harness is two separate connectors that carry the speaker wiring (to the amp), power, and lights. Its the two on the left here:

Per the service manual, the connector with the steering wheel controls is the 2nd from the right (top most) connector. Unfortunately I don't see a plug and play harness for that one. The good news is the SWC wiring is analog resistor style (same as mine) so you don't need the Axxess SWC module. You'll just need to tap the two SWC wires along with the SWC ground and connect them back to the Atoto harness (the ground wire would just go to chassis ground).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is actually not a preferred setup. The S8 was designed for 4 ohm speakers, not the factory 2 ohm so you are drawing 2x the current to drive the oem speakers. That's why its louder at low volumes. Cranking the volume up could eventually damage the speakers or the S8. You're also limiting the true power output of the S8.

If you're going to bypass the factory amp I'd recommend swapping the speakers out to 4 ohm to match the S8 impedance.

·
Registered
'06 Off Road & '11 Pro-4X
236 Posts
packpride85 said:
The 2006 X with RF has completely different connectors. The only harnesses available are the metra or PAC:
Thanks for the feedback. After an intensive and exhaustive search through the dark, dank and musty hallways of this forum's archives... I ended up ordering this Scosche harness:

https://www.scosche.com/nn07b

And will take a stab at re-pinning the SWC leads into the appropriate spots on the Atoto harness.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback. After an intensive and exhaustive search through the dark, dank and musty hallways of this forum's archives... I ended up ordering this Scosche harness:

https://www.scosche.com/nn07b

And will take a stab at re-pinning the SWC leads into the appropriate spots on the Atoto harness.
That one will work. A few things to keep in mind:

1. That will use the RCA preamp outputs of the Atoto at 4V. This is going to be a higher input vs what the factory amp is expecting. Not a game changer but your volume adjustability may be limited. I.e. low volume on the Atoto may be much louder than expected.

2. The SWC wires you'll need to tap directly from from the OEM harness. They come from a different OEM cable (not in the two plugs in the Scosche harness).

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
88 Posts
If and when you figure out the SWC wires, can you provide pics?

Honestly it's easier just to purchase the revised 7552 harness. In post 1 of this thread. No cutting or splicing into factory wires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Reviving this thread for a little help with install of an Atoto F7 XE. I have somehow convinced myself that some forum threads and you tube vids has given me the knowledge to install a stereo, even though I've never done anything like this.

I think I have purchased basically all the wiring harnesses IN THE WORLD for this project based on this and other threads. I have a 2012 P4X with non-nav RF system. I am trying to "simply" replace the head unit and retain the RF woofer and SWCs.

I purchased both the Metra 70-7552 (w/ swc) AND the Metra 70-7553 (w/ rca connectors for the speakers). To retain SWC, I have the BT bypass dongle thingy, and to avoid the popping I have a 4 channel ground loop whatchamacalit.

I thought the 7552 and 7553 would somehow work together, but obviously they don't, and now I have the age-old problem of too many female ends (99 problems...?). Sorry.

Anyway. Since I have these stupid things, can anyone help me understand how to merge the two Metras to make one usable harness? Would it be better to use the 7553 and harvest/ splice in the swc wiring from the 7552, or vice versa (harvest the RCA wiring from the 7553)? Do I actually use both 20 pin plugs somehow? If so which harness wires go to the Atoto harness? Should I just take all of this to an installer? I can change a motorcycle clutch out, but I feel over my head with this...

While I'm at it, on this RF sub being over-driven by the 4 ohm outputs, would the ground loop isolators I got do anything to combat this issue, or do I need to get YET ANOTHER device to cram behind this stereo? Would I use the Scosche SLC4 instead of the ground loop isolators?

Wood Electrical wiring Font Cable Networking cables

Circuit component Blue Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Cable

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just ordered an S8 gen2 Standard. Chinook1, do you really need the RCA outs to connect your amp — or does the 7552 harness connect to the OEM amp system via the main harness connection? I too am shooting to update the head unit but keep the rest of the factory system. I ordered a BT bypass, the revised 70-7552 harness, an antenna adapter, and backup camera retention adapter. The need for a ground loop isolator is new to me, but I may just look at that if it's needed. 2013 Pro 4X. My Bosch head unit with nav has no RCA outs, so the factory amp gets signal via the main audio harness connection.

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
I just ordered an S8 gen2 Standard. Chinook1, do you really need the RCA outs to connect your amp — or does the 7552 harness connect to the OEM amp system via the main harness connection? I too am shooting to update the head unit but keep the rest of the factory system. I ordered a BT bypass, the revised 70-7552 harness, an antenna adapter, and backup camera retention adapter. The need for a ground loop isolator is new to me, but I may just look at that if it's needed. 2013 Pro 4X. My Bosch head unit with nav has no RCA outs, so the factory amp gets signal via the main audio harness connection.
Somewhat depends on which truck you have. State year and model and what the exisitinmg system is... does it have an OEN subwoofer and amp?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts