Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a manual trans diff (M226) for a 2014 Pro4X they are willing to sell? If not, any suggestions on where to find one? Thanks. (Dealer claimed the failed diff was caused by a plugged breather valve blowing the oil out. That despite full front and rear diff service Jan 2020. Filed claim with Nissan NA but they refused to assist in repair.)

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
Go to an independent gear and axle shop and have the axle seals replaced.

The Nissan solution is to always replace the entire axle assembly. It is cheaper and easier for them than fixing it.

In the real world axle seals are replaced every day. Even if the bearings, crush washers, etc. have been damaged, all of it is easily replaced without discarding the entire axle assembly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to an independent gear and axle shop and have the axle seals replaced.

The Nissan solution is to always replace the entire axle assembly. It is cheaper and easier for them than fixing it.

In the real world axle seals are replaced every day. Even if the bearings, crush washers, etc. have been damaged, all of it is easily replaced without discarding the entire axle assembly.
Thanks. Best price so far on a used diff is $2000 with 62k miles. Could only find two in entire country!

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
85 Posts
This is a prime example of how any X owner should immediately do the diff breather mod. 15 buck mod prevents a 2k repair bill.

To the OP - sorry you are in this boat. If the diff itself did not grenade, tow the truck to an actual driveline shop. Last time I looked, I thought 4x4parts sold rebuild kits you could order.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I’m struggling to understand how the fluid leaked out at a rate so fast that it emptied the dif to a level that grenaded it but went unnoticed by the OP.

You should be able to rebuild the rear end for less than $2k + labor. Or this could be a good time to go with 4.10s!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m struggling to understand how the fluid leaked out at a rate so fast that it emptied the dif to a level that grenaded it but went unnoticed by the OP.

You should be able to rebuild the rear end for less than $2k + labor. Or this could be a good time to go with 4.10s!
Well, I certainly wished I had noticed it earlier. I didn't notice the leaking oil, but I did start hearing a slight whine, and my e-brake stopped working (due to leaking oil), and so I brought it in. To hear that the diff was shot was not great news. Another mystery was a milk chocolate color to the diff oil which was only 15,000 old, with no fording rivers, just highway driving. No clue how water might have gotten in.

Is there a link to the breather mod?

A rebuild might be cheaper, but I'm guessing the whine indicates permanent damage. Refilling the diff did not cure the whine. I don't see a rebuild kit on 4x4parts for the MT Xterra Pro4X diff.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well, I certainly wished I had noticed it earlier. I didn't notice the leaking oil, but I did start hearing a slight whine, and my e-brake stopped working (due to leaking oil), and so I brought it in. To hear that the diff was shot was not great news. Another mystery was a milk chocolate color to the diff oil which was only 15,000 old, with no fording rivers, just highway driving. No clue how water might have gotten in.

Is there a link to the breather mod?

A rebuild might be cheaper, but I'm guessing the whine indicates permanent damage. Refilling the diff did not cure the whine. I don't see a rebuild kit on 4x4parts for the MT Xterra Pro4X diff.
How bad is the whine? Lots of members on here have whining difs with no issue after thousands upon thousands of miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How bad is the whine? Lots of members on here have whining difs with no issue after thousands upon thousands of miles.
The whine is new, and more noticeable at low speeds as a low growly whine. At highway speeds its a high pitched whine that blends into the road noise. No clue what actual damage has been done, but seals are still leaking slightly despite clearing the breather. At this point, my brain is tuned to maximize the annoyance. On the bright side, when I turn Dire Straits up to 11, the diff whine seems to go away. :giggle:

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
442 Posts
If it was mine I would pull the diff cover and do a visual inspection of the gears and carrier for any signs of damage. Then pull the axles since the seals are leaking and inspect the axle bearings. A local machine shop shop change about $75 in bearings and seals and $100 labor to change them out per axle.
Then assess from there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The whine is new, and more noticeable at low speeds as a low growly whine.
I think the low speed growling is more concerning, perhaps bearing issues? You could lift the rear, put it in neutral and spin the wheels to listen for the source of the low speed noise. You might determine its the axle bearings at the wheel instead of bearings in the differential. Just thoughts.
My 2006 m226 has whined since about 35k miles on it. I Now have 91k miles and still whining, but its only around 65mph and only when my foot is on the accelerator, not coasting, which indicates ring gear issues. I have replaced both axle bearings and seals, verified the breather is clear, and changed fluid regularly. The only thing that helped was to line the cargo area with acoustic foam and install a new stereo :cool:
One day I'll open my pumpkin and see whats up in there....and be so bold to do this: Rebuilding My M226 Rear Differential

1 - 10 of 10 Posts