Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 months old and hatch rusting, + paint runs on a few place on car.
Anyone else had that issue ? Less than 10K miles.

Dealer & Nissan wants to repaint hatch under warranty. Will it last past warranty? Rust is coming from other then paint... I am afraid it won't last or will have other paint problems.

Any input welcomed...
Thx....
:)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Wow.. that can't be normal.

Posts pics soon cuz I want to know what to look for. I have a 2014 so hope I don't have the same problems as you do.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I had a similar issue on a Toyota. Was hand washing the thing and a quarter size chunk of paint came off the cab. There was a dimple under the paint, and my guess is it was wet when the truck got painted. Toyota refused to fix it, so did I. I gave it back to them when the lease was up, and gave them the paperwork stating they would not fix it under warranty(should have been covered) when they tried to charge me.

Good thing here is the dealer wants to fix it.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
6 months old and hatch rusting, + paint runs on a few place on car.
Anyone else had that issue ? Less than 10K miles.

Dealer & Nissan wants to repaint hatch under warranty. Will it last past warranty? Rust is coming from other then paint... I am afraid it won't last or will have other paint problems.

Any input welcomed...
Thx....
:)
There isn't any rust on mine even after 8 years, that sounds like a lemon to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know lemon it is I think too. The bad part is that there is no "lemon law" here in Canada.
I don't trust that a rust issue on a new car within 6 months can be fixed so it's good long term wise.

Is there anyway to post a picture here without pointing to a webspace ?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I know lemon it is I think too. The bad part is that there is no "lemon law" here in Canada.
I don't trust that a rust issue on a new car within 6 months can be fixed so it's good long term wise.

Is there anyway to post a picture here without pointing to a webspace ?
Have you thought about giving this a try?

http://www.camvap.ca/arbitration/agreement/

What I found is CAMVAP arbitrators can order the manufacturer to buy back the vehicle; repair it at the manufacturer's expense; pay for repairs already completed; or pay out of pocket expenses for items such as towing, diagnostic testing, rental cars and accommodation related to the problem with the vehicle. The arbitrator can also determine that the manufacturer has no liability.

Its also free to the consumer. Thats what I'd do anyway.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Sounds different, but fairly after new my 2008 started having a rust streak on the back hatch. It was rusting under the window seal and the rusty color residue ran down on the paint making a streak. Dealer removed the window and repainted. No issues since then.

However yours sounds different. Each panel is treated separately, before final paint. As long as it was only associated with one panel I wouldn't be overly worried and have them fix it. If it showed up on more than one panel I would worry, but really what choice do you have at this point? Also, I am pretty sure lemon laws only apply to vehicle function, not cosmetics. Might be different where you live, but I think thats the way it is here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, here is the latest :

Rust as continued to bubble on the hatch.
Rust as come out at the bottom of interior part of the door (where the rubber is).
Dealer is willing to repaint and fix rust, but I after discussion with Nissan, and expressing all of the other issues I had in 6 months, the have offered a "rebate" on a new 2014 model. It still will cost me 5K$ to replace for a new one, but at least I will not have a rusted new truck.

Now, my concern is that I get a new one and the same still happens (!)
I have checked a few Xterra in the area that were parked in parking lots and it varies from being not rusted to exactly what I have - rust on the tailgate -for various years.

Is the tailgate a common rust problem on Xterras ?
If so, I might reconsider the deal, as it's not signed yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't see why you would spend 5k to fix an issue that is covered under warranty. Let them fix it and keep your records in case rust appears elsewhere in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an '07 and my tailgate is starting to rust around the window as well. It's the only spot on the entire vehicle that has any rust, but I have 3 different small rust spots that are showing. Anybody have this kind of thing happen and know what it costs to have a body shop clean it up?

·
on line
77 Posts
My 05' has zero rust but I live in the SF Bay Area, however, I live 1/4 mile away from the Pacific Ocean. Not a drop of rust anywhere in 9 years.

I would get them to fix it, 5k for a one year "rental" is a lot, I would push harder, if you can get them down to $2,500 then it would be worth while. I don't think many others have had big rust issues with these. Mine (unfortunately) has to park outside too due to Q45 and 300ZX taking up my garage space.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about it. If there was a known issue (i.e. systemic problem) with the 2013, 2014s having rusting issues we'd know about it.

I would make them repair it and keep it. You have years to go before the warranty expires for the paint. Why spend an extra $5,000?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts