Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Pro4x (that I just bought last week) died randomly while going about 5 mph after a stop. It started right up again no problem. No check engine light. This was just as I was leaving my parking lot. It hasn't happened since. I checked the codes last night and there were none in the memory.

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to preemptively replace the camshaft and driveshaft position sensors? I understand they are known to fail. Just not sure if it is something that would happen with this low of mileage?

Should I just replace them? Or wait to see if dies again? I have no proof that it is the sensors.. I just don't want it to die at a bad time/place.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

·
TNX Veteran
4,447 Posts
Those 3 sensors are good to carry anyway just in case. It seems like it is inevitable. I just had my first crankshaft position sensor failure at 101k miles on my 2011.

It started off that while cruising the engine would just shut off for <1 second and turn right back on. It was doing this once every few days, and then a couple times a drive, and then it just wouldn't start. This happened over the course of a week.

IDK about pre-emptively doing it. That's gonna be $100-$300 that you may or may not need to spend. 46k miles does seem soon. Without codes it could be literally anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those 3 sensors are good to carry anyway just in case. It seems like it is inevitable. I just had my first crankshaft position sensor failure at 101k miles on my 2011.

It started off that while cruising the engine would just shut off for <1 second and turn right back on. It was doing this once every few days, and then a couple times a drive, and then it just wouldn't start. This happened over the course of a week.

IDK about pre-emptively doing it. That's gonna be $100-$300 that you may or may not need to spend. 46k miles does seem soon. Without codes it could be literally anything.
Very true. I might just drive it around for a couple weeks and see if it does it again or throws any codes. Looks like I can get all 3 made my Hitachi for around $115 which isn't too bad. I might just get them to carry with me like you mentioned. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
148 Posts
that is sound advice above. also, take a wrench to the battery cables to ensure they are tight.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
$115 is rather cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
At 46k miles, that seems very early to have those sensors go bad. I’d check the battery terminals to see if there are any corrosion or if they’re loose and also, see if you can get an alternator test. Rule those out and move on from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just had the right cylinder bank camshaft position sensor fail on mine at 170k miles, it was very clear when it happened, threw two lights on the dash and a clear code for that sensor. Another symptom is hard to start. I don't think it's that for your case from what you described.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The Hitachi ones from Rock Auto are under 50 bucks each, and the crank sensor is even less. Replace all 3, keep the old 3 for spares. Hitachi makes the OEM ones. They even have the Hitachi logo on them.

Or you can wait till it quits, then pay for a tow, then pay full boat at the dealer for the switch because you need it same day.

There is an old saying about a stitch in time saves 9, or in this case 3 sensors and 150 bucks saves much money in the long run.

Their hall affect switches. Their is no predictable failure time. I finally replaced mine at over 300,000 miles - no issues - but many here have had failures at a fraction of that time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts