Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
i am new to this forum but old to Nissan :D
i have my 2004 Pathfinder Platinum edition has many moods on it, 2" AC lift and pull bar with winch and ARP front diff skid plates and many more.
i am planing to upgrade to 2012 Xterra Pro-4x.
the question is the 2012 still suffering from weak drive trains?
any one can confirm to me if the front r180 and rear m226 still the same as early 2005 and 2006 or the 2012 has been enhanced?
i have looked to Nissanpartzone.com and i have notice some internal parts for the front and rear diff has different part number for the 2008 and up.
my concern is i do not want to spend my time and money upgrading the drive train.
i am happy with my pathfinder since i have never had any issue with the drive train even when i abuse it in the Rocky mounting, just want to upgrade for something newer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replay,
even with the 4 spider gears update i have seen many folks complain from oil seals and some internal failure,

for the M205 its still weak, it might be a little better than R180.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
you seem to know more than us about the subject so why ask our opinions?

beat on something enough and it will break.

I don't consider the drivetrain to be weak. there will always be the few that have unusual failures, and you will see that on the forums, as that's where people go when they have problems. you will never see someone starting a thread to report their lack of problems with their truck.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
As Noah said the m226 was updated to a 4 pinion E-Locker, however people have still had problems with random spider gear problems. Not nearly as much as the 2 pinion version, but still there. And you have to replace the entire unit if it goes (including if you were to break a sensor plug, pretty crappy). I just went through all this and I would suggest finding something with an ARB locker in it all ready if at all possible.

As far as the m205 the newer models (07+ correct me if I'm wrong) is much stronger than the r180. The proof we have is how many r180's get eaten up in moab/year compared to the m205. Personally IDK of one that has been blown up...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to who? I haven't seen many failures with it...
i have done research in titantalk.com and found two different version of M205 the early which has 2 ribs and the later 2007 which is the updated design has 3 ribs, folks there have reported many failure for the early 2004 and some off the 2007.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you seem to know more than us about the subject so why ask our opinions?

beat on something enough and it will break.

I don't consider the drivetrain to be weak. there will always be the few that have unusual failures, and you will see that on the forums, as that's where people go when they have problems. you will never see someone starting a thread to report their lack of problems with their truck.
Why i am asking because i cannot find any information regarding 2012 and 2013 most people complain was 2010 and older years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts