Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is the wrong section and feel free to move it.

Over the weekend my xterra was left with the key all the way on (without actually starting the vehicle) for a full day, almost 2 & completely drained the battery. Tried jumping several times with no success and ended up purchasing a new battery. Installed it and the vehicle still won’t start but the security light is blinking. The high beam dash light will start blinking as well until I try to start the vehicle then it goes away. No lights, no dash icons just absolutely no power when trying to start. Could I possibly just need to reprogram the key? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,151 Posts
I had the exact same issue and symptoms when my negative battery cable was loose.
Double check the battery voltage as even new batteries can be bad and both cables and connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the exact same issue and symptoms when my negative battery cable was loose.
Double check the battery voltage as even new batteries can be bad and both cables and connections.
funny you mention that because the negative terminal is pretty loose. I’ll replace them when I’m off work and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,151 Posts
My negative clamp was overtightened by the previous owner and deformed. Because of this even with the nut tight the clamp was still loose.

I had to bend it back and the little tab then with the nut snug the clamp was tight.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
funny you mention that because the negative terminal is pretty loose. I’ll replace them when I’m off work and see if that changes anything.
Check the condition of the cable (unless you're going to replace it anyway). The connection can be tight and the cable "looks" good, but can be corroded from the inside out. But on a 9 year old vehicle, replacing the cables wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure I found the culprit, blown fuse in the positive terminal box. Pretty corroded anyways, on my way to the auto parts store. I’ll update and hopefully this can help somebody in the future.

·
on line
238 Posts
You have to buy the whole assembly, at the dealer

been there, done that

youll be more careful next time you replace the battery

1 - 7 of 7 Posts