Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

2011 Xterra X

17K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  ccg1018 
#1 · (Edited)
I've since sold the X - hopefully the new owner finds it one day and is like... wait a minute!

Intro Comments: Base model but not basic.

Username: ccg1018

Xterra's Nickname: tbd

Make: Nissan
Year: 2011
Model: Xterra
Trim: X
Color: Avalanche White

MODS

LEGEND:

[+] Done
[*] Done but removed, upgraded or didn't work out
[-] Wanted
[/] In Progress

OWNERSHIP
[+] TITLE IN HAND (completed Feb 2020, purchased Feb 2017 - don't finance folks it is stupid)

Suspension:
[+] 2.0 PRG Aluminum Frontier/Xterra Coilovers setup for SPC UCA's and 700lb springs
[+] PRG 2.5 Dual Leaf AAL Pack
[+] SPC Performance UCA - 25540
[+] Bilstein 5125 Shocks
[+] PRG Ubolts
[+] Moog K80276 Cam Bolts

Wheels/Tires:
[+] 16” Vision 375 Wheels
[+] 285/75R16 GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac ordered 5/13/19
[*] 265/75R16 GoodYear Wrangler A/T + Kevlar - on vehicle when purchased

Engine/Misc Mechanical Parts:
[+] Volant CAI
[+] Bullydog 40417 (WOT Disable, 91 Tune, Idle up 250 RPM)
[+] Hella Horn Upgrade
[+] Magna Flow SS 12580 Muffler (video with exhaust note)
[+] Nissan Hood Strut Kit, Hood Rod Eliminator
[+] Off-road Gorilla Battery Hold-Down
[ - ] ARB Twin, 12 Volt, Onboard Air Compressor
[*] K&N Drop-In Air Filter

Drivetrain
[ - ] Lokka regeared to 4.10 in front (auto locker)
[ - ] M226 with E-Locker, geared to 4.10

Armor:
[ + ] HardCore OffRoad PA LLC Front Bumper powdercoated w/ full grill guard and fog lamp holes and rad skid plate
[ + ] MaxArmor Gear (Maxterra) Rear Bumper
[ + ] OEM P4X Engine Skid Plate
[ - ] WhiteKnuckle Sliders powdercoated w/ side step bend and diamond plated rear
[ - ] TBD full under-body skids

Lighting:
[+] HIDProjectors.com Headlights With Monster Shrouds
[+] Baja Designs Squadron Pro Driving Combo
[+] Baja Designs Squadron Pro Driving Combo
[+] Max Gear Armor (Maxterra) Ditch Light Brackets
[+] 30" AuxBeam Lightbar mounted to rear of custom drop-in basket
[+] OEM Style Amazon Fog Lights (installed on HardCore Bumper)
[+] Oxilam LED fog light bulb
[] F16 AuxBeam LED Headlights
[*] 20" AuxBeam Lightbar and mounted to OEM license plate frame to be removed

Exterior:
[+] Custom drop in roof rack
[+] Raingler MCN Cargo Net
[+] Upgraded to 1A power mirrors from manual OEM ones

Recovery Gear:
[+] Badland 9,000lb winch
[+] GearAmerica Shackles
[+] MotorMic Recovery Strap
[+] Reese Carry Power Tow Strap with Hook
[ - ] X-BULL Recovery Traction Tracks
[*] Dual front OEM Recovery/Tow hooks spray Painted Red (removed after bumper was installed)

Interior:
[+] Suction Cup Ram Mount
[+] Upgrade to Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" w/ Apple CarPlay
[+] Nexar Dash Cam
[+] OEM Power Mirror Switch
[+] OEM Turn Signal Stock with fog light switch
[+] 3D MaxPider All Weather Floormats
[+] RoXterra Driver Side Window Molle Panel
[+] SUNPIE Universal Black Seat Cover Case
[-] OPT7 4pc Kit Aura PRO Bluetooth Smart-Color LED Strip Interior Lighting Kit-4pc-App Enabled-iOS & Android

Comms and navigation:
[+] Cobra 75WXST
[+] Cobra HGA 1500 Hga1500 36 Inch Magnetic Mount CB Antenna Heavy Duty Magnet
[*] Firestik Antenna, 4ft
[*] Diamond Antenna K400 Trunk/Hatchback Mount
[*] Custom Antenna Mount Bracket

PHOTOS

4/10/2021 Updated Photos

02/01/2020 updated photos

How she came home in 2017:

See less See more
1 11
#4 · (Edited)
Made an update to the main post as to what I would like to make this rig more Overland/Weekend Warrior friendly. Most notable finished addition is a cheap LED light bar, nothing extraordinary but for around $50 I'm happy with something that gives me much better visibility on the trails and overpowers my headlights quite a few times over. I didn't like the idea of drilling into my bumper for it, so I purchased and over-priced bracket that hooks into the license plate frame from Amazon. The bracket and light are solid, I'll have to work on getting the OEM license plate bracket mount to not rattle as much off road, works fine on pavement, where you can't use the lights. ;(

So far, I've done a couple of drive thru car washes with no problems to the light and just returned from a 660 mile journey to and from the grand canyon and a few other attractions around Arizona without a hitch.

I'll be changing fluids in my engine/transmission to be safe as I've put about 3,000 miles on the vehicle since purchased and haven't a real idea whether the dealership I purchased from actually did anything they claimed they did.

I liked this recovery shackle from Amazon (link in main post)

#7 ·
I used an Amazon mount, not the greatest, it actually lost it's color and is a rustedish color now because the finish faded quickly in the 100+ degree summer. It is pretty sturdy, but the license plate mount is not the strongest so off road it jumps around everywhere, on road not really that big of an issue. Linked below:

iJDMTOY Miniature Front Bumper License Plate Mount

#8 ·
Hey man love the build. Looks like there are other options for the bracket for example https://m.ebay.com/itm/2017-Bar-Fro...ight-Holder-OffRoad-/262987684805?_mwBanner=1. Why did you end up with a 20” Bar and not something bigger?

Also, your recovery shackle what’s the distance between the pin hole to the shackle hole? Looks like it sticks out a couple of inches. I’m on a quest to find a short one for the x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
On the mount I purchased, I expected the black finish to fade (I mean it ships free and is made somewhere with cheap materials and cheap labor). I'm also not a personal fan of that look, but if you are consider if you'd be willing to repaint it? If you are, consider how much of a damage multiplier the thin aluminum would be if you're involved in any sort of minor fender bender as it would likely just bend in on itself.

The 20" Auxbeam fit my needs:

1) My wife liked that it was only $38
2) Way, way brighter than my headlights
3) Small Enough to mount and not draw too much attention

In future I am looking forward to getting some Gorilla brackets to mount a 40" or 50" light bar on the roof.

In terms of the hitch D-Shackle, I wanted something that was pretty stealth as well when I was shopping around, I can't tell you specific measurements off the top of my head, but when you see these things in person you realize why they stick out a bit:

1) They need to clear the hitch
2) The D-Shackles needs to articulate
3) You need room for the D-Shackle Hardware
4) You'll likely put the stress of the weight of either your vehicle or another on it (it's not gonna be that small)

All in all however, they are a great alternative until I drop the $400 on a steel bumper with recovery points built in. This one is constructed of solid steel, so I feel a little better knowing that if I'm rear ended at a light somewhere it's somewhat protecting my rear bumper which is cheap and plastic-y.

#12 · (Edited)
Now that I’m back on this whole Xterra thing, I threw my Sony XAV-AX100 head unit in and combined it with one of those USB outlets that replaces a cigarette lighter - this works perfect for me because the X trim cake with a cover here where as the higher end models came with an AUX port.

I still have a backup camera for when I hook up a trailer. I want to do it only once and that will require probably a couple of hours to run the cabling properly. So it’s on the schedule for next weekend.

And then I pulled the trigger on 33' tires!

#16 ·
Sure thing, here’s a linkeroo... I’m not a fan of this kit. The harness was straight forward but the bezel itself is brittle and although it might look okay in the photo, is actually very brittle and the gaps are there because the face has never really snapped in the the right way.

Oh and if you don’t have an X trim and your X is newer, I don’t think this kit will work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHF8Z9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4CZ3CbT4EAPS1

Edit: forgot the link

#17 ·
Had the order I placed for my HC bumper on late 09/02/2019 evening and what do you know? Mid day on 10/3 it was at the terminal for pickup. I installed along with a HF Badland Winch along with some factory style fog lights.

I was very surprised when a very good deal popped up on Instagram and I was able to purchase one of Dave's bumpers for a heck of a deal -- I was very hesitant at first due to some financial concerns we recently had, however, my wife talked me into pulling the trigger with this.

Now that AG allowed us to, I edited the links and list above so that is as accurate and I can see just how much of a money pit things great hobby of ours is. Couldn't be happier.

#29 ·
Got antsy awaiting my suspension goodies tomorrow.

Upgraded the lighting from the Auxbeam 20” to a pair of Baja Designs Squadron Driving combo paired with Dave’s brackets.
I think something is off with my hood as the clearances are off on both sides. I’ll do some bending tomorrow as the sun was setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Installed a Volant CAI alongside a Bully Dog 40417 today. So far I like the increased engine noise (really reminds me of my stock G35 when under a heavy load) and the monitoring on the Bully Dog. It says I'm now getting 17mpg on the high performance tune, adjusted for my 33's, while driving around town on surface streets tonight. I doubt that the MPGs are super accurate, but time will tell if these results are real or not.

My Magnaflow 12580 Muffler is in the UPS system. I'm hoping I'll have that in this week so my muffler shop can install it along with Y-Pipe delete. I've been bit by the mod bug again guys.

#33 ·
Worth it? I’ve had cheap Amazon and eBay lights, the build quality is better and the connectors are a lot nicer and easier for install.
If you can afford it, do it, otherwise when you’re out and about some auxiliary lighting is better than none. I loved my auxbeam 20”, but it just looked silly once I got my front bumper.

#37 ·
Within a few days of each other, I installed a bully dog on a 91 tune with advanced timing, volant CAI and the muffler. I drove up to Lovell Canyon and back a few times this past weekend and averaged 18mpg on 80% highway, I used to get 16 highway. It could just be an anomaly, but I hope it stays for the sake of range when wheeling. What I can really tell you is that it makes a lot more noise, but isn’t quite obnoxious ricer level.

#40 ·
Hey buddy, sorry I missed your post from 23 days ago. You're welcome for the hyperlinks, always glad to help you spend your hard earned cash.

The mirror mod was pretty straight forward. Just don't route the wires where the windows rolls down like I kept doing and then scratching my head as to how the wires kept breaking. :ROFLMAO:

#41 ·
Noticed that the boots on my sway bar end links were ripped, so I picked up a set of Moogs. They should go on when my replacement shocks come in.

I’ve had a love hate relationship with horns. I hated the whimpy stock one, the hella horn I purchased never worked well. I finally pulled the trigger on a PIAA horn. Sounds pretty good for $50.00.

I’ll eventually need to find a better place for it as the instructions say to avoid places where they can be sprayed or be hit straight on by dirt, but the next few weeks should work out just fine I feel like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.