Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the brand new thread, just posted one regarding a 2009 Off Road that I have decided to pass on.
There is a 2011 Pro4X a few hours away from me with 107k km (68k miles). It was originally a US vehicle brought to Canada and the seller was asking $26500 CAD ($21000 USD) but would accept $24k CAD ($19k USD). It has super low miles and is loaded with leather, heated seats, Shrockworks front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier, sliders, add a leaf, and Nisstec front spacer.
What do you guys think of the price and amount of rust?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
For $19K US..... and lo miles.. I'd be seriously thinking about that, especially since it is a P4.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Rust opinions vary by region so you’re going to get a wide range of acceptance on it. I don’t see much structural rust but I can tell you from working on my X that is largely rust free, every fastener on that X will be seized.

$19k is an ok price for the market right now but it is an 11 year old vehicle. It will need some $$ in maintenance items at this point so plan accordingly.

·
TNX Veteran
4,705 Posts
For the year, model, price & mods, I'd say 19k is a great price (4.5 years ago I bought my 2011 PRO-4x bone stock with 54k miles for about $20k). However, personally I don't like the rust. Gonna make it hard to work on. I would pass, but that doesn't mean it is a bad buy for someone who is used to rust like that

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
For the year, model, price & mods, I'd say 19k is a great price (4.5 years ago I bought my 2011 PRO-4x bone stock with 54k miles for about $20k). However, personally I don't like the rust. Gonna make it hard to work on. I would pass, but that doesn't mean it is a bad buy for someone who is used to rust like that
You really expect to find a more rust free decade old vehicle in Canadia? You got some high standards man. Even here in Colorado that's considered clean...

·
TNX Veteran
4,705 Posts
You really expect to find a more rust free decade old vehicle in Canadia? You got some high standards man. Even here in Colorado that's considered clean...
That's why I said "personally". I ain't in Canada, and even if I was in Canada I know how much of a massive PITA it would be to maintain that thing with rusted bolts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
More rust than i'd like to see, but its not that bad, I would hesitate on financing it though.

looks like it might need new shocks soon so consider that, but no 10 year old vehicle is going to be completely problem free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I’m just debating if it’s worth the $24k CAD with the bumper upgrades. Considering I have to travel a few hours one way to even go look at it..private seller so no financing.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
If it’s not tempting enough, skip it. I would drive (or in far past fly) to see a (new or used) special car… I never actually did but i was so very close to.

In the future you may not find a better one, If that’s a concern, pursue this one, if you have a lot of time, wait and see what else future brings.

In the old days I met a Canadian who flew to Arizona to pickup and drive home the BMW M3 which was perfectly maintained (visually at least) and totally rust free. As mentioned by others, staying within Canada choices limits the rust damage since any Xterra will be a daily driver or at least not at all a Sunday only car with low miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it’s not tempting enough, skip it. I would drive (or in far past fly) to see a (new or used) special car… I never actually did but i was so very close to.

In the future you may not find a better one, If that’s a concern, pursue this one, if you have a lot of time, wait and see what else future brings.

In the old days I met a Canadian who flew to Arizona to pickup and drive home the BMW M3 which was perfectly maintained (visually at least) and totally rust free. As mentioned by others, staying within Canada choices limits the rust damage since any Xterra will be a daily driver or at least not at all a Sunday only car with low miles.
Fair enough, I usually have no problem travelling and have gone super far for many motorcycles. Just wasn’t sure if the price for this one was on the high side given the rust underneath.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Someone will buy it at that price. That doesn't make it a deal.

10 years old and rusty is still 10 years old and rusty, even if it has low miles. If your going to fight rust anyway, might as well find one with a few more miles and half the price to offset the effort.

BTW - I have a bit of experience - in a grew up where they poured salt on the road like gravel in the winter, and have now lived in the great southeast for 25 years. There is a reason you don't see many 15 year old vehicles in the North - they simply don't last that much longer than that no matter how well you take care of them. So don't overspend on a 10 year old rig.

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Xterra, Trim Level X
16 Posts
I am in the middle on this one. It's a nice rig on the outside, and it DOES have very low miles.
BUT...that rust is a problem and you will have to rid yourself of it, or it will continue to get worse, and to cause more damage.

I would offer maybe 3000 less and then plan to take it in to a shop and spend about 2000 of that savings on having the rust removed and the vehicle undercoated.

Then...spend the remaining five hundred on giving it a complete tune up...and replacing those rusty rear shocks. Keep the remaining 500 for your next camping trip.

There is another consideration here. Money is starting to get tight. Inflation has been creeping up. Fewer people are willing to part with Big Cash for used stuff lately. A LOT of folks are trying to dump their expensive toys over at Craigslist lately, I notice. And the takers seem to be less.

Six weeks ago, I managed to buy my first Xterra. It's a 2009 with 160,000 on it, but has no rust, no issues, and runs like a dream. He gave it away (practically) for a mere $3,000 USD because he had too many vehicles and not enough for the rent. This is happening more these days.

That's me prepping to extend my driveway to have room to park it. :) I poured the concrete pad myself, tossing in a ton of scrap steel too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
too much rust, too expensive IMO.
The seller is trying to capitalise on the mods he has done to charge a premium and negate the fact that it's an old car that has not been regularly rust protected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe it is just an optical illusion, but it looks like the nut is missing on the lower control arm. At least you wouldn't have to worry about the bolt falling out since it is probably rusted in place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe it is just an optical illusion, but it looks like the nut is missing on the lower control arm. At least you wouldn't have to worry about the bolt falling out since it is probably rusted in place.

I noticed that too. Definitely looks like it is missing. Luckily it is being held in with all that rust!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks like the upfront rust has extended into the front Bilstien shocks, too. Now you are looking at a few hundred more to replace both the front struts and the rear shocks.

Low miles or not, I am dropping my bid on this one to a hard $12,000 USD. If the seller doesn't take it, give him your phone number. If he doesn't find a sucker, he will call you back with your more reasonable offer. When he does, offer him TEN in cash.

I did the used car thing for a lot of years. Even sold a car to a spy once.

And like the Rolling Stones once said, 'to live in this town you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough...'

·
Registered
10 Posts
Low miles or not, I am dropping my bid on this one to a hard $12,000 USD. If the seller doesn't take it, give him your phone number. If he doesn't find a sucker, he will call you back with your more reasonable offer. When he does, offer him TEN in cash.
There's no way the owner will need to drop the price to $10k or $12k. They'd easily be able to get $18-20k with how the market is these days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There's no way the owner will need to drop the price to $10k or $12k. They'd easily be able to get $18-20k with how the market is these days.
Maybe. Unless they take a good look underneath the rig, or have it sent to a good shop for a check-out. Then maybe not. Not sure on the market. Money is getting a bit tight. Inflation, Christmas, some economic uncertainty going. This rig at Craigslist is pretty good for the money, and also has the low miles: (could probably buy for 9000 usd and no salt on the roads here in WA) 2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4x4 6speed manual 88,000 miles - cars &...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like a lot of you guys have never crawled under a Ohio vehicle. That's just typical rust where they dump salt on the road. Check the body for rust, under the back doors and the rocker panels. Open the back door and look.
Sounds like 17/18 thousand with those miles is the norm. Your going to spend almost a couple thousand for the bumpers. So it depends on the matinance. There are some around but you'll have to do some driving to get one then is it what they are telling you. Your seeing this one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts