Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

2011 Pro-4X - Want to Add Aftermarket Subs, Have a Few Questions ?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Stupidloud 
#1 · (Edited)
For those of you that have added subs, where do you tap in the line out converter and what brand/model LOC did you use? I am possibly buying an amp/subs/capacitor from a friend for super cheap, and would love to do the work myself. I have never used a LOC before (always had aftermarket headunits) so I'm unsure of how/where to tap in.

The factory amp is under the passenger seat, and I plan on installing the new amp in place of the factory subwoofer under the driver's seat. Can I just tap off this line? Or is using an LOC on an amplified signal a bad idea? I would rather not have to remove the whole dash/center/whatever to get to behind the headunit if I can avoid it.

If anyone is able to point me in the correct direction, I'd be SO THANKFUL!

#2 ·
Before I hand my aftermarket head unit I tapped the rear speakers wire. It worked ok. I had a loc but for some reason it just didnt sound right. Anyways if the amp have lfp and a built in crossover you can just tap into speaker wires. It won't sound as good as when using a preout from a aftermarket stereo but it sound decent.

There is a how-to on here somewhere and also over at clubx

Also removing the stereo isn't that bad

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
What do you mean "as good?" It's a subwoofer and the LPF will just cut out everything. Is it not as clean or does it filter some of the frequencies? Again, I never used one before.

Also, just to clarify, you tapped off one of the lines to the rear doors? What brand LOC did you use?

#5 ·
I used a scosche one.

I took the rear door panels off both and tapped into this wires. Left and right , then combined the 2 and then ran that to the amp

It was a temp thing until I got my aftermarket deck. Eventually I am gonna rewire everything anyways. Get rid of the factory amp and speakers/sub

You said you are gonna put the amp by the sub under the drivers seat. It's pretty tight there. I had my amp in the storage area in the floor. Once I build my rear storage unit I am gonna put it back there as well as an inverter. It's a good spot for this things

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Use the speaker wires going to the factory sub, if you tap the fronts or rears they probably have a high pass filter on them, you won't get bass. Most factory systems with one amp for the whole system have all of the crossovers in the amp.

Stinger, Pac or metra all make decent LOC's. An adjustable one will sound like a good idea, but usually isn't needed, I almost always run them full out anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.