Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well this is not what you want to see when you open your welder . Couldn’t figure out why it kept acting like it had a bad ground and would weld a little different every time I pulled the trigger . Looks like somehow the nut kept loosing and eventually melted the terminal . I was starting to think I forgot how to weld

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It’s almost a little funny I still get people telling me the tires won’t fit even when they are standing next to it , last week I had some guy up in the snow when we where already about 10 miles in “ That’s nice and all but I hope you never have to turn “ . I wish my first thought would have been “how do you think I got here only driving straight ?.... but sometimes you hear something so dumb it’s like your brain has to reboot to even think of a response so I just smiled and drove past him and continued on our way .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ok I seem to always have the worst luck when it comes to car parts and some times it makes me just want to give up on the hobby well maybe not that extreme but it is frustrating. Got some universal energy suspension bumpstops for the front end and Wouldn’t you know it one of the nuts wouldn’t screw on . Thought maybe I was trying to cross thread it so I pulled the bumpstop back out to double check and yup there’s the problem it came sealed in the package with one sae and one metric nut

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lookin good man! That's the kind of snow I'm trying to get into soon. I want to switch it up and drive out to snow camp somewhere instead of having to climb with it all in a pack

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Lookin good man! That's the kind of snow I'm trying to get into soon. I want to switch it up and drive out to snow camp somewhere instead of having to climb with it all in a pack
It was a nice quick little trip with about 18” of fresh powder , would have gone further but I was being lazy and didn’t air down so I’m actually impressed with how far it went at street psi . I’m actually wanting to do the opposite this year and do some snowshoe camping.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Alrighty rear end has been moved forward 1” and now stays out of the bumper and just barely touches below the door so I think I can trim that out a little bit and glue the door seal back in . Thankfully I have a old bin of Toyota bolts and managed to scrounge up enough stuff to temporarily space out the brake lines and the rear bump stops . Gonna go try it out in the snow tomorrow and order some shocks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Sunday funday drive .
We decided to return to where we went last weekend to do some more roadside cleanup and some more snow fun . I had made these bags for my forester but never actually finished them so I finished up the last bit of sewing and made them work for the xterra . I will call these version 1.0 because there’s quite a few things I want to change but for hauling cans it works just fine

played in the snow a bit , tires work well at 10psi

On our way down more roadside cleanup . In total 107 cans and bottles and a bag of garbage .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Shocks showed up , hope these work they where a super good deal at 17$ a piece. 15 1/2 collapsed 25 3/4 extended .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Forgot to show this , wired up my rock lights switch and made some tabs to hold these small LED’s, the factory side step studs seem like they will work perfect .

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Curious about those shocks, got a link? i need to replace mine as well. would they work for a 1-2" lift? or too big?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Curious about those shocks, got a link? i need to replace mine as well. would they work for a 1-2" lift? or too big?
Mine only has 1.5” lift and they measure out right but i need to get it on the forklift and max out the suspension to double check they aren’t to long. They are just rear shocks for a early 90s f250, only part that didn’t fit right is the lower mount is a thinner than the factory one and it has a metal bushing that needs to be pressed out . I’ll dig up the link

·
Registered
881 Posts
Cool build! 6spd pro4x is a unicorn.

May have missed it, but why did you end up going to 35"s? That's a lot of work.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Cool build! 6spd pro4x is a unicorn.

May have missed it, but why did you end up going to 35"s? That's a lot of work.
wasnt that much work , small lift and some trimming . Mostly for snow and the jump from stock 265 (31.5”)to a 315 (34.5”) is really not that much .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well I could t sleep last night and that led to my mind wandering , on top of the normal life stuff and thoughts of family future I of corse wandered over to “ what other ways could I get a straight axle under the xterra “ well after some quick measuring and probably being wrong I came up with a probably terrible idea .

Using a set of ford super duty axles ( cheap , strong , can come with 4.10s )
Maybe a SAS kit for a 98 and up Chevy 3/4-1ton
A set of Chevy rear springs from a square body (soft and long ).

With my ruff measuring the rear shackle hanger would land almost perfectly where the frame flares out at 38” and that’s convenient because the sas kit for the Chevy only works on frames that are 38.5” wide . Or use a set of shackle sliders .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Over the weekend the Fiancé had
been down with the flu for the last couple days and that’s not normal considering she hasn’t been sick in 7 years even though she works in home heath care ( must be the probiotics and red wine ) but she really wanted to get out of the house so we just went for a relaxing drive up the clackamas River to explore a couple of backroads we have never been down before all while letting the great narration of Jim Dale fill our ears ... seriously if you have never listen to the Harry Potter audio books you are missing out on the talent of one amazing book reader , he puts so much depth and verity into a reading it’s actually quite amazing. On our little drive we saw some waterfalls , a bit of snow and some chunks of water pipe used for a waterline that if I had to guess where 10’ in diameter and stretch a good 15 miles.all in all a nice couple hours spent away from home . On a side note I need to get a little better about taking pictures and maybe having my better half write about our outing because to be honest I have the writing skill of a horribly trained baboon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Had to take a 6 hour round trip to deliver some late product for work and it finally gave me the opportunity to see what my actual freeway mileage is .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Between picking out a new rig for the fiancé , getting some sort of flu and just General life stuff I feel like it’s been months sense I’ve been out exploring . But I did get the fog lights remounted and the bumper painted put the rear add a leafs in and put a 1/4 spacer in the front so there’s a couple more thing to check of the
before it goes up for sale to do list .

41 - 60 of 80 Posts