Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Had to do a little more reshaping and trimming to the front fender liners but now everything clear except for the wiper fluid outlet , I’m hoping some bigger bumpstops will keep it from contacting it but I may need to also lift the front another 1/4” .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Loaded up some cherry wood logs to take to my dads to process up into boards and blanks for some bowl turning and a good excuse to try out his new cordless chainsaw . I gotta say I’m kinda impressed got all this cut up on 2 batteries . Doing long cuts on logs really takes some effort but normal cutting it just flies through the cuts . May have to buy one myself to take on trips, be nice to not carry premix gas and smell the fumes .

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Good luck when you get into some narly off roading and you fully limit out the suspension and your tires start bending metal with the 1 1/2" lift.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good luck when you get into some narly off roading and you fully limit out the suspension and your tires start bending metal with the 1 1/2" lift.

You mean like right here where I have the strut out completely and the suspension is fully against the factory bump stop and still clears everything with about an inch to spare?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well I have to say I have one awesome fiancé , I mentioned I’d like to have a set of traction boards for playing in the snow until I can afford a winch View attachment 124178 and she surprised me with a early Christmas present . I am one lucky man
She's a keeper!!! :giggle:

·
TNX Veteran
3,729 Posts
View attachment 124177
You mean like right here where I have the strut out completely and the suspension is fully against the factory bump stop and still clears everything with about an inch to spare?
So even with wheel compressed like this and turned full clock left/right you don't have any fender, bumper, or frame rubbing? If so, that is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
So even with wheel compressed like this and turned full clock left/right you don't have any fender, bumper, or frame rubbing? If so, that is pretty impressive.
ever so slight rub on the frame at full lock , will probably notch the frame and plate some reinforcement in down the road but for now I will just take the slight loss in my turning circle .
Bumper was the easiest part I just took the screws on the bottom out and pushed the fender liner forward about 5” and drilled new holes in the bumper then trimmed off the excess .
Nothing on the fender at all.

I will flex it out with the forklift after I’m done with work today and take some better pictures, It’s all super tight clearances but it does clear

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
603 Posts
ever so slight rub on the frame at full lock , will probably notch the frame and plate some reinforcement in down the road but for now I will just take the slight loss in my turning circle .
Notch the frame? Why not just put wheel spacers, probably dont need that much.
i've got slight rub on my 33s, don't really care. Tempted to go bigger for the next set.

Where'd you source the real world sizes?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
yeah I don’t know if any of you guys have ever pulled your fender liner out but the Xterra has one of the biggest wheel well openings I’ve seen . Squeezing 35s on a third GEN four runner with minimal lift requires cutting into the firewall and re-tubbing it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Notch the frame? Why not just put wheel spacers, probably dont need that much.
i've got slight rub on my 33s, don't really care. Tempted to go bigger for the next set.

Where'd you source the real world sizes?
because putting a spacer on would increase the track width in turn creating a larger turning radius and pushing the tires into the fenders further requiring more room in the wheel well . Plus notching the frame just takes a little bit of time and scrap metal I have laying around.

I got most of them on www.tiresize.com but always double check the manufacturer to be certain . They also have a handy tool on their call the wheel offset calculator where are you can input your tire sizes that you have now with the offsets and then put whatever new tire you wanna run with the new offset of the other wheels and I’ll give you a real good idea of where you’ll see your differences.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well I can’t get to the forklift so I’ll do this at ride hight for now
1/4 turned front

Full turn front

1/4 turn rear

full turn rear

frame contact

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got the rear wheel spacers installed it clears the frame easy now but I would like to pull the tire in a little more so I think I will order a set of 1/2” wheel spacers and pull the axle shafts So I can install longer studs to fit them . I always feel like it’s safer to run longer studs rather than a bolt on spacer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Was feeling lazy thins morning so the fiancé and I got a late start to the day and just went out for a little 150 mile drive. If your familiar with Oregon we drove past Estacada then the back way past Harriet lake up to high rocks then back over to hideaway lake .
Tires are working much better in the snow with some miles on them .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Little update ,
Have about 700 miles on the tires now •Still happy with the road noise , you know they are there but it’s not annoying
•Drives and corners great
•second trip out in the snow they worked way better ,think I finally wore off the releasing agent or whatever it’s called that’s on new tires
• they work well at 12psi but think I may have to go to 8 to get them to really squat in the snow .
• mileage has dropped to 16 mpg on the freeway

21 - 40 of 75 Posts