Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Pro 4x just hit 205K! It has been very reliable so far...due in part to a pretty good maintenance schedule all its life. All the fluids(engine, trans, diffs, transfer case, brake, power steering, coolant) and air filter have been routinely changed. It has newer drive belts, battery, alternator, brakes, OEM spark plugs, coils, factory shocks, and the throttle body and MAF have been cleaned. I have taken a couple of Toyotas (3rd gen 4runner that I still own and a Series 80 land cruiser) to the 350k mark with original drive train and excellent reliability and would like to get the X ready for the next 100k. So, what items should I be looking at for preventative maintenance? This vehicle is our main family rig and we take it on adventures all over the country so I need it to keep up its excellent track record. Here are the things I have been considering.

Possible Preventative To Do List:
  • Replace radiator (Koyo), radiator cap OEM, and coolant hoses OEM
  • Replace all u-joints with spicer sealed units
  • Replace crank and camshaft sensors with OEM parts
  • Replace fuel pump and sending unit (current sending unit is acting up with readings)
  • Coat frame and suspension parts with Chassis saver to prevent Midwest rusting (worked well on my 4Runner)
  • Rear diff breather

Any thoughts? Please let me know if I am overthinking or if there are items I have overlooked. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You pretty much named the major maintenance items with the fluids. Good idea with u-joints. You can add brake fluid to change if you have not already completed it. I would say that is a good start.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 2011 Pro 4x just hit 205K! It has been very reliable so far...due in part to a pretty good maintenance schedule all its life. All the fluids(engine, trans, diffs, transfer case, brake, power steering, coolant) and air filter have been routinely changed. It has newer drive belts, battery, alternator, brakes, OEM spark plugs, coils, factory shocks, and the throttle body and MAF have been cleaned. I have taken a couple of Toyotas (3rd gen 4runner that I still own and a Series 80 land cruiser) to the 350k mark with original drive train and excellent reliability and would like to get the X ready for the next 100k. So, what items should I be looking at for preventative maintenance? This vehicle is our main family rig and we take it on adventures all over the country so I need it to keep up its excellent track record. Here are the things I have been considering.

Possible Preventative To Do List:
  • Replace radiator (Koyo), radiator cap OEM, and coolant hoses OEM
  • Replace all u-joints with spicer sealed units
  • Replace crank and camshaft sensors with OEM parts
  • Replace fuel pump and sending unit (current sending unit is acting up with readings)
  • Coat frame and suspension parts with Chassis saver to prevent Midwest rusting (worked well on my 4Runner)
  • Rear diff breather
Any thoughts? Please let me know if I am overthinking or if there are items I have overlooked. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

PCV Valve if not done lately.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would consider doing some inspection of any boots, joints, bushings, bearings, and whatnot in your suspension and drivetrain. You mentioned you do a lot of adventuring so there may be some items down there that need attention. It would definitely suck to break down in the middle of the desert with a blown wheel bearing or a blown bushing... Good luck

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Change all the rubber hoses. Rubber starts breaking down at 8-10 years - so all the heater and coolant hoses -there is like 15 of them. Several threads here on that.

Also do the front wheel bearings if you haven't recently.

You might want to consider doing the clutch fan. Its a known issue - of course its not something that typically will leave you stranded - they usually fail on - meaning the fan spins all the time - so that one is more preference. If you do change it - use the OEM part - aftermarket ones have a poor history around here

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
idn88 thanks for the tips. Will look into writes ups on hoses and clutch fan.

·
Registered
386 Posts
How are your lower control arms? Already replaced? Seized?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Suspension actually seems pretty good. It drives really well and no noises. I have replaced the front wheel/hub bearings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good advice on pcv and suspension/bearings. Thanks!
Have you ever replaced the PCV valve or is it still running the original PCV at 200K? I'm thinking of changing mine at 60K, but if routined engine oil changes like yours allow the original PCV to get to 200K, I won't change it either.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Look at some of the plastics in the coolant system. This snapped on me at 100k mi. This exact piece is apparently un-needed and can simply be left off... but the one right next to it would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chevy42083...thanks for advice and pics. Those are the kind of things you don't think about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For how many miles is the factory maintenance schedule good? What are some of the things it misses? IOW the things you should do, that the factory maintenance schedule does not mention?

-Peter

·
Registered
701 Posts
Asking the group... (not suggestion really curious):

What about the Precats?
Arent they sometimes a cause of much badness and damaging the engine.. i know its rare but a damaged engine at 205k would total the vehicle..
Maybe they could be punched?

Or am I out to left field?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look at some of the plastics in the coolant system. This snapped on me at 100k mi. This exact piece is apparently un-needed and can simply be left off... but the one right next to it would be a deal breaker.
I had to replace that same piece on mine around 130k, and I went ahead and did a full coolant flush/change at the same time. Luckily I caught it before it broke off. Mine started leaking around that crimp ring and I could smell the coolant from the leak and was able to quickly pinpoint it because it had blue coolant caked all around it from where it had been leaking... The other line to the right of that one, the dealer broke off on mine and had to replace that for me for free, so I lucked out there too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Since reading posts about breaking of the plastic heater hose connectors have stranded folks, I pre-emptivley changed mine to brass parts on my 08 X a few years ago. There is a forum on this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
have you ever replaced u joints or are they original? I would do that for sure
I replaced my U-Joints around 130k because I got the tell-tale driveline vibration. IMO you don't need to change these preemptively and I was able to drive to work for almost 2 weeks before I changed mine. That being said you can replace yours before you feel a change or even stock the parts for when you do need them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts