Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ! I'm new here. :) Love this car and i've put over 80,000 miles on it. We've been through everything between New York and New Jersey. But just yesterday as I was pulling out of a gas station, going from 1st to 2nd (automatic transmission) the car start making LOUD grinding noise with loss of power. Clearly something is wrong. I drove back home in 1st gear going 20mph. Anyone know what could have happened ? Did my 2nd gear get mangled ? it really sounded like very loud metal grinding on metal. No instrument lights were turned on, no codes, underneath there's a light leak around the transfer case (side facing the engine) around the shaft area. Could the transfer case have blown ?
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
What color is the radiator fluid right under the cap? Strawberry milkshake colored?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
So far no indication of SMOD, so I have no idea what your problem might be.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
yeah that one is difficult to diagnose. if you hear grinding sounds, that is mechanincal. may have to open up the trans to identify exactly whats going on.

I dont think its the transfer case as much as the trans itself.

but i dont see very many if any posts on this similar issue. its pretty uncommon for an auto trans to be grinding a gear like that, but anything is possible. i feel like there should be some dash lights if it cant go correctly into 2nd.

i imagine the motor cuts power when it senses the trans isnt in gear properly. but atgain i would think that the dash would be telling you something.

sorry this isnt much help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure it's a transmission problem anymore. Today I took it for a drive and got up to 3rd gear before it started making this noise. First it was just like a light metal grindy noise so i slowed down, then as you see in the video it started getting LOUD like before. I uploaded the video to streamable. Hope that's okay. IMG_3858
It gave off a low vibration that i could feel in my feet, makes me think it's coming from the front or maybe front left of the car.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Time to jack up the X and see if you can freely turn the wheels without issue. Might be lucky and only a bad hub or drive joint.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Someone posted the timkin replacement number not that long ago and there was a very long thread of a hub removal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for helping out. I'm sure it's just the wheel hub (will find out when replaced). I found that Timkin part and the wheel hub diy, thanks ! Now just waiting for a 32 mm impact socket and a Timken wheel hub. I had all my fluids changed around 12k miles ago: transmission, front diff, rear diff, radiator, brake, steering, and blinker fluid according to DIYs on this site. I used a gas station mechanic that i built a good rapport with back in New York, printed out the instructions (with torque #s) and he said he was confident he could it. I got paranoid and thought he screwed something up. The brain works in weird ways.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Started this today. Got the axle nut off easily with an electric impact wrench. I just got the two 19mm caliper bolts off. The bottom one was easy. The top one was a SOB to get off, no amount of jumping on the breaker bar would do it. It took couple of impact wrench attacks while soaking it in penetrating oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts