Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. Im new to this site after I sold my 03 X in November and got my 09 in December. I have a couple issues happening at the moment and I was going to see if these are common for the 2nd gens. It is a 09 4x4 S model with 85k.
-Yes I know the timing chain guide is a common problem. Dealing with that now
-Rear shocks are creaking
-Transfer case seal leak
-There also looks to be some oil residue at the top of my engine which scares me. Gonna snug up the screws and see if that works.
-Odd vibrating at low idle and it seems as if it may die but doesn't. Definite power loss somewhere there.

Things I need to do

-The above?
-Change front rotors (warped)
-Balance and rotate
-May need a new battery.

I have been contemplating on trading it in already just because I think I may have gotten a lemon. I also seen right after I had bought it that it was a rental for 6 months then it was a middle aged couple that traded it in for a new Pathy. I love my X but im a broke high school kid fixing to be working at Novrozskys in about a week or two. I haven't lost faith in Nissan but its getting hard. What y'all think?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Well on this one you know what is wrong and what it needs. Trading it for another used vehicle will be a mystery. I had a xfer case leak and when I changed the fluid, the leak went away. I read somewhere that there were quite a few vehicles that may have come from the factory overfilled.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
none of these really seem like TOO big of a deal, except for the transfer case leaking. Everything else is easily fixable. My x has a very small oil leak, looks like it comes from the valve covers, I've just never really touched the engine in mine, so I just leave it alone. The vibration at idle could be bad motor mounts...I replaced mine with PRG mounts. I guess when you add it all up, its a good chunk of change you gotta put into it...its up to you in the end.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah really it is and really the rotors shocks and the seal is only 154 dollars when I added it up so im ok with doing that. Really everything is maintenance. I may be overreacting since I have just gotten it. Im the only person who has gotten a used vehicle with this many miles on it in my family. They're saying nissan has always been a piece of junk (coming from my dad) psh I loved my 1st gen. Only problem was the timing belt with it and again general maintenance. I freakin love it thats why I got another one. Plus its 5 years old now so it ain't going to be in showroom condition.

·
on line
352 Posts
I have an 08 as a daily driver/occasional trail driver. Here is what has borken/crapped out on me in 5 years of ownership and 71K miles. I bought it brand new.

-Rear seal went at 11,000 miles and destroyed my entire rear end. Replaced entire axel under warranty.

-Upon replacing the rear seal dealer said the billstein shocks with the OR package were both "Shot". Replaced under warranty.

-Front airbag sensor malfunction/recall keeps my light blinking despite reset attempts
-TPMS light will not reset (Tried a few suggestions on the forum)
-Auto Door locks are malfunctioned and lock themselves 50 times in a row while i drive
-Rear shocks are once again "gone", not going to replace with the billsteins obviously they are over rated.
-Transfer case seal had to be replaced by me at 38k.
-Rear bumper and hitch rusting apart. Just repainted them.
-Exhaust shields all rusted off within the first year.
-Un diagnosed crackle/rattle with acceleration for the last 4 years. Tried Service Bulletin to epoxy a loose plastic piece in the intake/throttle body to no avail.
Love my X but it is just out of warranty and beginning to nickle and dime the crap out of me. The electrical issues are bothering me more than anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 08 as a daily driver/occasional trail driver. Here is what has borken/crapped out on me in 5 years of ownership and 71K miles. I bought it brand new.

-Rear seal went at 11,000 miles and destroyed my entire rear end. Replaced entire axel under warranty.

-Upon replacing the rear seal dealer said the billstein shocks with the OR package were both "Shot". Replaced under warranty.

-Front airbag sensor malfunction/recall keeps my light blinking despite reset attempts
-TPMS light will not reset (Tried a few suggestions on the forum)
-Auto Door locks are malfunctioned and lock themselves 50 times in a row while i drive
-Rear shocks are once again "gone", not going to replace with the billsteins obviously they are over rated.
-Rear bumper and hitch rusting apart. Just repainted them.
-Exhaust shields all rusted off within the first year.
-Un diagnosed crackle/rattle with acceleration for the last 4 years. Tried Service Bulletin to epoxy a loose plastic piece in the intake/throttle body to no avail.
Love my X but it is just out of warranty and beginning to nickle and dime the crap out of me. The electrical issues are bothering me more than anything.
Gosh I thought I was in a pickle. My 03 had the same issue with the locks theyd unlock and lock out of random while driving. It locked my keys in it a couple of times too. Funny thing after I changed the timing belt and junk. Poof everything went away. Weird

Alright cool so basically my problems are pretty common and are general maintenance. Thanks everyone for the replies

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah and I'm actually kind of surprised about the timing chain.... I thought that wasn't an issue on the 09's and up but maybe i'm wrong. If it is whining, you can let that thing go for a while until you have the money/time to fix it. I think its really rare that they actually fail, just get noisier and noisier. If anybody notices just tell them its a super charger.

I got hosed also on the shocks front, as the dealer sold it to me with all the shocks blown out, but shopping around here, I picked up a lot of parts off of newer models (all interchangeable for the most part) owned by fellow club members for real cheap. As far as some of the other parts go ask around, and look in the for sale section.

If you like it, just prioritize and fix the most important things first. You can get around with bad rear shocks for a little while. if you trade it in, it will cost you way more than putting $1k over time fixing it. If the previous owners did trade it in for another Nissan, then it was probably generally reliable. They probably took it in, saw it needed some maintenance, and said "screw it, we'll just buy a new one."

Good Luck with it!

·
on line
1,511 Posts

I'm curious why you decided to do that yourself instead of having it fixed under Power Train Warranty?

OP, Every used vehicle is a crap shoot and most will have something needing to be fixed, but overall Xterra's are solid, dependable trucks. Like was said earlier, prioritize the fixes and jump on the big issues first, then work on the smaller issues. Remember to check out the "For Sale" section, you should be able to get shocks cheap. Also check out wrecking yards for low mile brake rotors, and do the brakes yourself, it is real easy to do!

Good luck man!!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Yeah, all of that stuff you can do on your own and save a ton of money with labor costs. I've done everything you've mentioned to mine in my driveway with just hand tools.

The transfer case seal was definitely the biggest b**** to do, but maybe it was because I did it outside during december..

If you have any questions, PM me

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah and I'm actually kind of surprised about the timing chain.... I thought that wasn't an issue on the 09's and up but maybe i'm wrong. If it is whining, you can let that thing go for a while until you have the money/time to fix it. I think its really rare that they actually fail, just get noisier and noisier. If anybody notices just tell them its a super charger.

I got hosed also on the shocks front, as the dealer sold it to me with all the shocks blown out, but shopping around here, I picked up a lot of parts off of newer models (all interchangeable for the most part) owned by fellow club members for real cheap. As far as some of the other parts go ask around, and look in the for sale section.

If you like it, just prioritize and fix the most important things first. You can get around with bad rear shocks for a little while. if you trade it in, it will cost you way more than putting $1k over time fixing it. If the previous owners did trade it in for another Nissan, then it was probably generally reliable. They probably took it in, saw it needed some maintenance, and said "screw it, we'll just buy a new one."

Good Luck with it!
Yeah I love it and it really dont bother me about the whine. Most stuff I can do so I think I just had a small meltdown haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts