Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda at my wits end with this one, I have a 2008 x manual, hit a deer a few months back, truck still ran enough to make it home, once I shut it off it hasn’t started since. Fixed air bag computer, seat belts, neg battery terminal fuses, installed cold air intake, new radiator, new ac fan, new airbag, new clock spring, new impact sensor. Not getting any communication between the scanner and the engine. One random connection pretty sure it’s to the air box. Not sure if that would affect the starting. Lights all come on, fan comes on, just no crank and no start. Air bag computer will communicate with the scanner but nothing else will. When the dash lights up, the check engine light blinks, and the battery and brake lights are on as well as a few others. Any help is greatly appreciated. Attached is a picture of the random connection.

· Registered
09, lifted, 33's
326 Posts
Been there, done that - my situation ended up being the ECM itself that died unannounced. however, before jumping to the ECM my research from this site gave me some other troubleshooting ideas for common problems with a common no start situation: Check these off before spending money if possible!

Brake pedal - are the rear brake lights working when the key is turned on?
IPDM - did you ever upgrade to the black from 2010+? If not, perform the starter relay swap on the IPDM and see if it fires up.
Negative battery cable - being an 08, and having been in an accident to shake things around, physically check your negative batter terminal to ensure it is not dry rotted from the inside out. flex it and feel if it still seems playable vs. crackling. the impact may have shaken a ground to intermittent especially if you have rust. Double check battery terminal tightness.
Confirmation the Mass airflow sensor is hooked up from the cold air intake install.
Crank/cam position sensors.
Try the 2nd key.

The fan turning on immediately i believe is linked to anti theft malfunction (2nd key) or blown ECM. I replacement my ECM with new but didn't know they have "ship out, fix, send back" ECM repair for 1/2 the price.

My scanner said something like 'error, could not connect' - but nissan's equipment provided me a printout showing they could not communicate with the ECM and every other system responded.

· Professional Amateur Wanderer
2013 Pro4x 6MT
593 Posts
Dumb question, but did the scanner you are using ever communicate with the vehicle before damage was caused? I received some OBDII scanners in the past that would not connect to Nissan vehicles for reasons unknown. They were Autel knockoffs. They work fine on Toyota/Honda but would not communicate with any of my Nissan vehicles.

The engine will crank, but not start with a bad immobilizer chip. The fact you get no crank could be one of a few things: a bad ground to the ECU, which could also cause a known working OBDII scanner to be unable to communicate with the vehicle and cause a bunch of issues, including no crank or a bad ECU itself. Also, check for continuity at the clutch interlock switch with the clutch fully depressed, bad interlock switch will keep the starter from engaging.

Have you checked for voltage present at the starter when turning the key in the ignition? Have you applied 12V to the starter to make sure it is operable? I have been seeing a large number of starters recently just giving up and dying with no symptoms.

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Not getting any communication between the scanner and the engine. One random connection pretty sure it’s to the air box. Not sure if that would affect the starting. Lights all come on, fan comes on, just no crank and no start. Air bag computer will communicate with the scanner but nothing else will. When the dash lights up, the check engine light blinks, and the battery and brake lights are on as well as a few others. Any help is greatly appreciated. Attached is a picture of the random connection.
Everything you said describes the typical symptoms of a bad IPDM. I can't for sure diagnose it based on what's typed on this forum, but a bad IPDM will 100% of the time prevent your code reader from connecting to your ECM. I've seen guys spend money on new ECU's when it turned out to be the IPDM. Since you have an 08, you still have the old white IPDM, which fail at a very high rate. The black IPDM's installed on Nissan trucks/suvs after 2010 seem to never fail. I've researched IPDM's to death and back and have yet to hear of a black IPDM fail. It's considered preventative maintenance to replace the white ones, according to many on this forum. You can get a new one from the dealership for about $240, or cheaper on Amazon, but they aren't that easy to find on Amazon.

Another is your cam/crank sensors. Replace all 3 at once with OEM or Hitachi ONLY. Don't screw around with saving a few bucks on aftermarket crap - they are all junk. Be aware that it's very common for bad cam/crank sensors to be the problem but never throw a check engine light.

BUT - your issues coming directly after a front end collision is a huge red flag. Your problems point directly towards either an IPDM or cam/crank sensors - BUT, considering your front end damage, proceed at your own risk.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed a new starter, tried the ecm relay swap, and everything stayed the same. I’ve got a new ipdm on order. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably just send it in to be fixed. Thank you for all your tips and advice.

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Installed a new starter, tried the ecm relay swap, and everything stayed the same. I’ve got a new ipdm on order. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably just send it in to be fixed. Thank you for all your tips and advice.
Did you get a black or white IPDM?

The relay swap doesn't always work, unfortunately. If your IPDM is really corroded it might not ever work. I still think you should swap in new OEM/Hitachi crank and cam sensors before taking it in to a shop. The diagnostic charge alone is about what it would cost install new sensors (I got all 3 for about $140).

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She’s still running, but having a few issues. The 4x4, brake, slip, and vdc light are all on, it doesn’t seem like it will switch over to 4x4 and it still won’t communicate with my scan tool other than the air bag computer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts