Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 2008 Off-Road model just has the basic radio/CD stereo system which has a pretty weak sound system.

What does it take to upgrade to the Rockford Fosgate system? I know there's a factory "Technology" upgrade to this but my vehicle doesn't have that. Can this be readily done, i.e. is all the wiring harness already in place so it's just a matter of changing out the components? Will this be a cost effective solution or should I just go to a local car stereo shop and have them upgrade with aftermarket stuff?

I like the idea and looks of a factory system but the base system I have doesn't have quality sound.

There's probably some threads on this already somewhere but I searched and didn't find these specifics. Any input here will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
so many companys now are going with aftermarket for the factory systems you can get a nice aftermarket unit with a factory look that will sound much better than your stock headunit. I personaly don't like flashy aftermarket stereo's either but my local nissan dealer had these units on sale in the parts department even since they look so nice in the X. Picked one up online and I love it. You can even change the "glow" color to match the amber dash lights. Just throwing the idea out there.... don't completely turn off the idea of aftermarket.

-Kenwood DDX3023 (upgraded model has the bluetooth and navigation)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Hmmm, I thought that all Off-Road models, at least for 2006 and up, had the RF system as standard? I replaced the RF HU in my 06, keeping the underseat amp and sub in place. I doubt the non-RF trucks have the wiring under the passenger and drivers seat for headunit and speaker hook ups, but someone else may be able to confirm. If it's not there, I'd have to agree with Spdu4ia, get a nice touchscreen HU and upgraded the speakers. I went with a Kenwood DDX419, and added the sat radio module, interface for steering wheel controls, back up camera, and bluetooth so although the truck is from 06, it has all the modern conveniences that come standard in most any run of the mill kia.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I bought and "S" Model and the stock stereo was one of the worst factory stereo systems i have ever heard. I was planning on keeping it stock for a while, but after riding around in it for a week I couldn't take it and went to Cartoys and picked up a Pioneer AVIC with Blue Tooth and Navi. Also, upgraded the front speakers to Alpine-Type S Components and Alpine Type-S 3 Way 6.5" and I LOVE the sounds. Crisp highs, and enough low to not want a sub.

I too was looking into the RF to replace but everyone said that you will spend more on piecing that together and get a mediocre system, or go aftermarket and get everything you want, and the "Factory Look" to go with it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh no stealership strikes again all offroad should have rf. Im curious why do u say its a offroad. Mines a 2010 and a offroad. Do u have a locking rear diff?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks for all the responses. The touch screen type HU's look like they belong so if more for the money I could do that.

Just bought it used w/83k miles. It was originally sold in Colorado if that makes a difference. It's a 2008 Xterra off Road 4wheel drive. Says Off-Road right on the side of it (vs S or X submodel).

Has the supposed bigger tires 265/75/R16 (though I'm a little confused about that, what size are the "regular" tires?). Has factory bash plates under it at 3 locations. Has the descent control, locking axle control, VDC Off and Bilstein shocks. You can manual shift the auto transmission between 1,2 3, but maybe they all have that?

Does not have the dimming/compass mirror or the RF stereo.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money, Nissan wants a fortune for a factory radio and you can get a nice HU in the 400-500 range that is far superior. I put the Pioneer avh-x8500bhs in mine, you can even match the factor bezel color so it looks stock. I would definitely recommend after market.

·
on line
352 Posts
Dont waist your time with the rockford. I have an Offroad with the factory rockford system and it just didnt do it for me. Im not a trunk vibrator but I like crisp mids and tight base. I ripped it all out 3 monhts later for a pioneer and amped component speakers. If your going to spend the money, do it right. It will probalby be cheaper anyhow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts