Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My first post here! I had been considering an XTerra since 2004. I ended up buying something else in 2004. Now, I have the urge to trade it in and get an XTerra (hopefully this weekend).

I am considering a 2008 Off-Road model in Yellow. The question I have for you guys is: Is the 4x4 mode on all the time or can I drive in 4x2 mode for most city/highway driving and only chose the 4x4 mode when going off-roading? I searched for this but couldn't really find anything. If the mode can be changed then basically I would be driving a 4x2 model if I choose the 4x2 mode, right?

Also, I have seen mixed information regarding the ground clearance. On one website, I saw 9.6" of clearance and on Edmunds.com, I see 8.3". Which one is the correct one?

Your feedbacks would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
the X is NOT full time all wheel drive....you'll be in 2x4 until you flip the switch to 4x4.

ground clearance is listed as 8.3-9.5" on nissan's website, i recall hearing around 9" average.

and Welcome!

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willgr1 said:
the X is NOT full time all wheel drive....you'll be in 2x4 until you flip the switch to 4x4.

ground clearance is listed as 8.3-9.5" on nissan's website, i recall hearing around 9" average.

and Welcome!
Great to hear that it's not a full-time all-wheel drive, otherwise my gas expense would sky-rocket. :D As far as the ground clearance goes, I don't understand the range. Is it not the same for all models? If no, then, what is the ground clearance for off-road model?

·
on line
704 Posts
OR model tends to be higher up. Around 9.2" I'd say. Gas mileage with manual transmission is awesome. I have been getting around 20-22mpg on highway. Good choice on the color!

·
on line
14,014 Posts
The ground clearance, as far as I know, is the same for all four models (X, S, OR, & SE). The only thing that varies really is the tire size, the S & SE are the same, the OR has a slightly bigger ratio (265/75) and I believe the X model have the lower range, non-BFG tires. But they all have pretty much the same under-belly clearance.

And P.S. - get the X, stop thinking and DO IT!!!

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TXterra37 said:
The ground clearance, as far as I know, is the same for all four models (X, S, OR, & SE). The only thing that varies really is the tire size, the S & SE are the same, the OR has a slightly bigger ratio (265/75) and I believe the X model have the lower range, non-BFG tires. But they all have pretty much the same under-belly clearance.

And P.S. - get the X, stop thinking and DO IT!!!
Thank you! And yes, I need to stop thinking. :D I can't go visit the dealer until this weekend. The wait is killing me!

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I just got 21.04 MPG, towing my trailer, coming back from Eugene, Oregon. I went (last segment) 255 miles, used 12.12 gals of Union 76, 87 oct- and I'm driving an "06-OR-M/T--(4x4)

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
516 Posts
sherpa said:
Thank you sir! I was actually trying to locate that link on their website.
....happy to help.

·
on line
516 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
difference in ground clearance height is only due to tire size on different models
Doesen't the SE model ride on larger tires (17" wheels). I don't think the SE model has more ground clearance.

Is this true?

·
on line
2,004 Posts
Also isn't the X contain different suspension? or they are all the same. Quote from a dealer. maybe he's wrong?

·
on line
516 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
hmm why is my ground clearance much higher than all of yours??? WEIRD?!?!?
lmao

1 - 20 of 35 Posts