Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
on line
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice, recently, I've experienced the Service Engine Soon light. The first time, I took it into the dealer and he said the fuel cap wasn't on correctly, and caused the fault. Today, I experience the light again and checked the cap. It appeared that it wasn't on fully, and after I reseated it, and drove for a while, the SES light went off. There does not appear to be in running issues with the engine when the light comes on.
My question: Is the SES code for a loose gas cap a self- deleting code that clears when you properly close the gas filler cap?

·
on line
641 Posts
Madog said:
My question: Is the SES code for a loose gas cap a self- deleting code that clears when you properly close the gas filler cap?
Typically the code will show up on the diagnostics as something like 'large evaporative fuel loss'. I had this a few times when working through an issue with an aftermarket locking gas cap. Once I replaced the inital faulty locking cap, I haven't had the problem since.

However, while the SES light will go off, after "some period of time" once the gas cap is properly sealed, the code related to the even is stored, and the dealer can read it later on, and reset it. Different sources have different suggestions as to how long it takes for the SES light to clear - a couple of tankfulls of gas, 30 engine starts, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts