Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe you guys could give me a little hand. I have a 2007 Xterra S, it's got 120,000 miles on it. I was having issues with the truck stalling while driving it over the last month. I ordered a few relays for the IPDM and that seemed to fix the issus for a while. I went ahead and ordered a new IPDM and installed that on Monday, causing all the dash lights to turn off and the SES light to be reset. It drove fine Monday and Tuesday, this morning as my wife was driving to school it stalled. She said none of the lights came on and she was able to start it right back up.

Any suggestions before I start throwing money at a dealer.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Whenever any vehicle does something like that I usually think ground somewhere is loose. Maybe losing ignition spark over bumps here and there? No codes?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is it sputtering down? rough idle? or is it just driving fine and then nothing? When is the last time you checked the air filter? seems stupid but if it's clogged and you're not getting enough air the truck can only compensate so much.

·
on line
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whenever any vehicle does something like that I usually think ground somewhere is loose. Maybe losing ignition spark over bumps here and there? No codes?
I guess that's a possiblilty. This all started with the relay blowing in the IPDM. I figured with the new in place the problem would have fixed itself. The only other thing that I can find that causes the same type of issue would be one of the cam positioning sensors going out.

Even though no codes are showing up, I'm going to go a head and check to see if there are any stored.

·
on line
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it sputtering down? rough idle? or is it just driving fine and then nothing? When is the last time you checked the air filter? seems stupid but if it's clogged and you're not getting enough air the truck can only compensate so much.
Nope, no sputtering, no rough idle, new air filter with last oil change and no dirt roads since then. Just stalls with no warning.

Sometimes it starts right back up, with shifting into N and turning the key. Sometimes it stalls and won't start again, last time it killed my battery just trying to restart it while sitting in the middle of the road. That happened a few days ago, prompting me to replace the IPDM. Luckily it was close to home and my wife was able to come and pull me home with the Suburban.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a crank sensor, however I'm new to the X and not entirely certain of all the underhood sensors just yet. So it could be a cam sensor.

If you can get your hands on a quality scan tool look up the freeze frame data from when it stalled. It should save something either from that instant or when it turned on a CEL. Check the output from the CKP (Crankshaft) and CMP (Camshaft) sensors. If one of them read nothing that is your culprit. If that isn't available you can always test them the old school way with an OHM meter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts