Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Took the truck out last weekend to Idyllwild and ran the Bee Canyon to Pine Cove Road trail with my son. The truck took it all and kept going. This was its first true hard run.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
This dude held the trail up for an hour and a half. 15 people behind him. He blew his front left tire off the bead and then snapped his left rear axle. Stock Cherokee On street tires. I happened to be the lucky one right behind him lol. We were able to get him pulled back down the trail to an open section and we were able to get by.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
This dude held the trail up for an hour and a half. 15 people behind him. He blew his front left tire off the bead and then snapped his left rear axle. Stock Cherokee On street tires. I happened to be the lucky one right behind him lol. We were able to get him pulled back down the trail to an open section and we were able to get by. View attachment 134313
To be fair to that guy that is a Cherokee (actually looks like a Grand Cherokee) from a time when they were capable. The street tires had no business being out there though.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
This dude held the trail up for an hour and a half. 15 people behind him. He blew his front left tire off the bead and then snapped his left rear axle. Stock Cherokee On street tires. I happened to be the lucky one right behind him lol. We were able to get him pulled back down the trail to an open section and we were able to get by. View attachment 134313
I give the guy props for getting out there with what he has, but you gotta know your limits AND the limits of your rig. That makes a great go south very quickly. Been there, done that.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
@RMS621 as you approach 3” you need Tswap. 2” is safe without.

I am in the middle of a half price Tswap which involves 3-5 store purchases, stock Titan arms from RockAuto, r180 Axle shafts from z1 auto (they have sales), Toyota FJ 619lb coils and Tundra shocks. Bump stops from Amazon, extended stainless brake lines from Z1. Spacers for rear wheels. Keeping my OME rear leaf springs from before.

The plan is to try this for a few months and if all goes well (or doesn’t), get MKII NissTec coils with shocks and SPC/Mevotech arms, so there goes the half price out the window. Or maybe it will be good without.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Next will be getting some 33s and trying to really decide on the left…. It’s just hard to want to pull the trigger on ordering everything for a Titan swap from Nisstec. Or going with a 3” advance lift from PrG.
Titan swap from the beginning and be happy. Best decision I ever made

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Im going to pass on going with a titan swap as I want to put some money into other things for the truck. Roof top tent, recovery gear, winch, and other things. So I am going to go with Nisstec MKll kit with OME HD leafs in the rear.

Font Line Coil spring Bicycle part Auto part

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Merry Christmas to me! I pulled the trigger on the Free Spirit Recreation 55" Odyssey today! They have the silver top on sale so I made the snap call lol.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Plant

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Tires have been ordered!
LUCKY! You'll love them, they're great tires!
I wanted the 16s, but Discount Tire had them at the List price (which had just jumped that month), so I ended up with 17s instead because the tires were so much cheaper. The 17in wheels are wider though... so I'm sure I'll rash them up eventually lol They just don't have that huge sidewall bulge to keep the wheel off the rocks. The 8.5in wheel definitely feels more stable than the 7in oems.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
LUCKY! You'll love them, they're great tires!
I wanted the 16s, but Discount Tire had them at the List price (which had just jumped that month), so I ended up with 17s instead because the tires were so much cheaper. The 17in wheels are wider though... so I'm sure I'll rash them up eventually lol They just don't have that huge sidewall bulge to keep the wheel off the rocks. The 8.5in wheel definitely feels more stable than the 7in oems.
I have tried to order these tires 2 times online and now waiting for both refunds. Also stopped into two tire shops, no one can get them for 2-3 months. So now I'm trying to find a backup tire I like.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Wheel and tire update!

Discount Tire had the Geolandar in stock but in a different size. Ending up going with the DX4 Terrain wheel in 17" and the Geolandars in 295/70R17. I will have to do some trimming but oh well! I got the tire I wanted from the start!

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 · (Edited)
Getting the plasma table cleaned up and prepped for starting the front bumper build.
Wood Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine

Turned around to see the FedEx driver pulling up with my Nisstec left! Waiting on the OME leafs to be delivered.
They are beautiful!
Glasses Coil Coil spring Musical instrument Gas

141 - 160 of 188 Posts