Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a one owner 2007 4x4 with 144k for $5k. All service records. Having to resolve the VDC, Slip and 4x4 lights but my OBDII says it’s the right front and right rear speed sensors. They’ll arrive tomorrow.

Ordered a Nisstec 2” lift with AAL, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, and a 1” spacer. I may adjust the Bilsteins up 1” with the 1” spacer since I’ve read about ride issues with a 2” spacer.

Looking forward to sharing updates and learning from the forum. I’ve already looked over the new owner and FAQ threads.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car Wheel

·
Registered
569 Posts
Congrats!

Have you made sure the radiator is not one associated with SMOD?

What color is the IPDM? The white ones have weird random failures and should be replaced with a black one, if it hasn't already. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Are you throwing the AALs' on stock leaf springs? If so, you might want to change out the leaf pack as well. The OEM ones go bad surprisingly quickly, and it looks like the rear is sagging a bit in the pic, but that might just be camera angle. At the very least, give the leaf springs a thorough inspection before you put the AAL's on them. My Xterra had a broken (and missing) leaf on each side when I bought it. I got a set of new OEM leafs with an AAL on them from a local Xterra club member and am pretty happy with the result.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve visually inspected for SMOD (looks good) but didn’t check radiator part number. I’ll do that.

IPDM relay is black.

I’m going with AAL and can’t see any sag but was going to visually inspect the leaf packs this afternoon when I pull the wheels to install speed sensors.

Good advice, thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
690 Posts
Good luck with the new to your ride. Looks like you have finished the initial checks (SMOD and suspension). My leafs were sagging (no rake) at ~75k miles and if anyone sat in the back, it would hit bump stops over small bumps in the road. They also tend to crack so keep an eye on that as you enjoy it.

AAL are cheap so not much of a loss if the leafs go a ways down the road. Plus, you can reuse them on a new leaf pack if you opt for an OE equivalent set in the future. If you are assembling the 5100s yourself, make sure you can get the spring compressor off of the spring once compressed into the strut. I was not able to with the loaner tools at autozone. Had to drop them off to be assembled by a shop. I would pay Nisstec to assemble if it is not too late!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one is an S model. It was missing a fog light cover on one side. I picked up one for $6 and put it on since the original photos. I’ll be doing an LED light bar in the grille opening or LED fog lights. Still undecided yet but leaning towards the grille.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts