Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

2007 Won't Start - Completely Lost

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SolarYellow 
#1 ·
Hey all, I've got a dead X that I cannot revive at all and I've spent 2 weeks trying to diagnose and replace everything that has been suggested. I just bought it in August and its been running just fine between then and now. We recently just did our first oil change. Came out a few weeks ago and it wouldn't turn over. Jumped it and drove it, then it sat that day until my son got out of school. Wouldn't start, but jumped it and he got it home. Had AAA come test the 6 month old battery and said it was still good, needed charging and then test again later. Week goes by and son is out with friend and it won't start or even crank. Tries it a few times and then it cranks. A couple days later he's driving and stops by Sonic to get a snack and shuts off the engine. Won't crank or do anything beyond turn on the lights. Have it towed back home.

So, I've done the following trying to get this running again:
  • Checked battery - full charge and 6 months old - cleaned all terminals even though no buildup
  • checked fuses
  • Replaced Starter
  • checked grounds
  • Replaced Starter, Ignition, ECM relays
  • Had locksmith check keys and ignition for immobilizer
  • found IPDM board in wrecked 2008 - STARTED!!! Let it run for 10 minutes, shut it off, then same issue. No crank.
  • Purchased new IPDM board (284B6-ZE03C) - Spun the starter but battery run down???? Charged and then jumped it and it STARTED!!!
It started but the SES light was on and the VBS light was on. Put it into drive and it barely moves forward, but put into reverse and it goes normal. I shut it off and then try to start it and... no crank. I'm back to square 1. I'm currently letting it sit on the trickle charger and put the original IPDM back in. I've had a code come up periodically and is currently up now - U1000 ($10)

I have no idea where to go next and don't understand why it would go completely out with no warning. Any thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
sorry to hear about the issues.

this maybe shed some light on the U1000.

that code be either be a big deal, or not. I had it come on once after overheating the trans, but after it was cleared and a fluid change it hasnt come back on yet.

I think im my case what happened was the tcm detected the high temps and just shut itself down. but there wasnt any physical damage to it, or short apparently.

#8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I THINK I have it narrowed down, but there are a couple of things that give me pause. I got back on the IPDM board and checked the A/T fuse (49) and sure enough it was blown. I'd checked fuses before, but either I missed that one or when I switched IPDM boards it wasn't blown yet. Anyway, I replaced that 10amp fuse and it started right up, but SES light was on and little forward movement. Turn off and it won't turn on again, so starting it is blowing the fuse.

So, from what I can tell in research so far, that means either:
  1. Bad TCM and/or transmission issue shorting out the TCM
  2. Bad ECM causing the short and the U1000 code
  3. worst case... both
Plan is to take it to transmission shop today and see what they can do. Wish I could do this one myself, but this is deeper water than I can swim in currently. And I've been out a truck for over 2 weeks. Anyway, for any people in the future that have a similar problem, here is a thread and video that helped me start narrowing it down.

#9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I THINK I have it narrowed down, but there are a couple of things that give me pause. I got back on the IPDM board and checked the A/T fuse (49) and sure enough it was blown. I'd checked fuses before, but either I missed that one or when I switched IPDM boards it wasn't blown yet. Anyway, I replaced that 10amp fuse and it started right up, but SES light was on and little forward movement. Turn off and it won't turn on again, so starting it is blowing the fuse.

So, from what I can tell in research so far, that means either:
  1. Bad TCM and/or transmission issue shorting out the TCM
  2. Bad ECM causing the short and the U1000 code
  3. worst case... both
Plan is to take it to transmission shop today and see what they can do. Wish I could do this one myself, but this is deeper water than I can swim in currently. And I've been out a truck for over 2 weeks. Anyway, for any people in the future that have a similar problem, here is a thread and video that helped me start narrowing it down.
I am having a similar issue, what was the outcome after you brought the Xterra to the transmission shop?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.