Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a 2007 Xterra SE with an automatic trans. that has noise coming from the rear diff (they took $2000 off because of it). My thoughts are to rebuild it with an ARB Locker but I have a couple of questions.

Anyone who has been around a while will probably know the answers to my questions (I've been on here for a couple hours and have found most of them so far).

So my questions.

Does the Locker act as a rebuild kit (doesn't look like it from the pics), or will I need to buy a separate kit for that? Pretty sure I need separate kit... and if so, anyone know if this is the right one?

2nd, will the original/stock ring gear fit on the ARB Locker and work with the original/stock pinion? Assuming they're not damaged. Seems like the answer is yes, but I hate to leap without looking.

I know I can probably call the manufacturer and get the answer. But the clock is ticking on "to buy or not to buy" and I'll be in training all week so won't be able to do anything productive.

Thanks for the help,
Nate

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a 2007 Xterra SE with an automatic trans. that has noise coming from the rear diff (they took $2000 off because of it). My thoughts are to rebuild it with an ARB Locker but I have a couple of questions.

Anyone who has been around a while will probably know the answers to my questions (I've been on here for a couple hours and have found most of them so far).

So my questions.

Does the Locker act as a rebuild kit (doesn't look like it from the pics), or will I need to buy a separate kit for that? Pretty sure I need separate kit... and if so, anyone know if this is the right one?

2nd, will the original/stock ring gear fit on the ARB Locker and work with the original/stock pinion? Assuming they're not damaged. Seems like the answer is yes, but I hate to leap without looking.

I know I can probably call the manufacturer and get the answer. But the clock is ticking on "to buy or not to buy" and I'll be in training all week so won't be able to do anything productive.

Thanks for the help,
Nate
To answer your questions: The ARB will not act as a rebuild kit. You will need to buy a rebuild kit with the bearings and seals. If you install an ARB, you can and will reuse the stock ring gear and pinion, unless you choose to regear.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ChrisHaynesUSA,

I'm in Petaluma. My other vehicle is a GMC Sonoma and I started using that username on the ZR2USA.com site (ZR2 is the off-road version of the Sonoma/S-10).

I think you're wrong about the gearing options for the C200, apparently the Frontier has the same rear with 3.36. Truffle has a thread about it here. My plan is to add the locker with the stock gears, but later upgrade to 3.36 gears and then do the Titan Swap to the M205 with 3.36 gears. I need to do more research on the locker install though, it if is a pain in the ass, I might upgrade to the 3.36 gears now rather than later. Who knows though, gotta do the work to get the experience! And I still got the Sonoma as a back-up so down time isn't an issue.

Surf and Snow,

Thanks for the info!

·
on line
14,613 Posts
when I say stock I mean all gears from the manufacturer . 3:13 3:36 etc..
IMO 313 to 336 is not a meteoric rise in gearing. And if you are going to titan swap then I would consider aftermarket options.
I have tried most aftermarket parts, run them , then moved to something more better.
If i could offer advice it would be to get what you will want in the future after a ton of research. save for it, then do it.
aftermarket have other options 4:10 and 4:56 specifically and for those you will need a m226 rear diff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm gonna have to stick with stock gearing for now though, the Xterra will be my DD for the next couple years with near-stock tires sizes. My Sonoma is gonna be getting the major upgrades first. I've been planning, researching and slowly buying parts for a SAS and V8 swap for it over the past couple years. Just couldn't do it while it was my only means of transportation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey Guys, I'm looking for some confirmation on my understanding of the Titan Swap.

As I understand, that are two options.

1, Swap in the Titan front differential/carrier and use Pathfinder or aftermarket half-shafts and keep the original Xterra control arms.

2, Swap in the Titan front differential/carrier and use Titan or aftermarket half-shafts and add Titan/aftermarket control arms.

I'm not quite clear on the reasoning behind swapping in the Titan control arms. Sounds like Titan UCAs screw the Xterra geometry up and you have to go for aftermarket parts to fix it (so the first people to do it had to deal with whatever problems it creates). I get that the extra 3" of length in the Control arms gives you more than that back in added articulation. But how much are we talking about?

I know the answers are probably in a thread somewhere, and I've probably read through it. But I've been through so many in the last couple of weeks that a lot of details have blurred together, hahaha!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts