Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling out of the parking lot the truck just shut down, it turns over fine but wont fire. I dont hear the fuel pump and I noticed the cooling fan comes right on when key is on. Im thinking after reading various posts it might be the IPDM but im not sure what to test. I have also had intermittent problems with the door locks having episodes of continuous locking while driving that I thought might be related to th IPDM. I tried the relay swap but didnt help.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Check fuses and fusible links on the positive battery post connector. Also the cooling fan is for the AC the cooling fan is clutch based which means the engine has to be running for it to turn unless there are aftermarket cooling fans installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its says Nissan on it so I assume it is. From what I read in forums the security light would be on if it wasn't reading it. Checked power at pump connection and no voltage is there. ground is good. It looks to me there is a good chance the IPDM has issues. Going to buy one and hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
well that is a bit dramatic. Didn't actually diagnose it, threw one part at it and then went and spent a lot of money on a new vehicle?

·
Banned
191 Posts
Nice and useful trifecta post, all within 1.5 hours of each other....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry about that. I knew it was a gamble but I really thought there was a good chance, that was the problem. Just trying to keep my job, already had missed a few days because of this. I like having shelter and the ability to purchase food.

Anyway, if there are any suggestions on what to check or were to find a decent wiring diagram, I really would appreciate it. I have the FSM download from Nicoclub but didnt find any real diagrams. I would really like to check inputs/outputs at the IPDM, seems like a good starting place.

My problem is;
No power to fuel pump. checked at tank, but have power at fuse
AC cooling fan comes on when switch is on. didn't do that before.
Code reader wont connect to ECM. "Linking Error "
I do not have security light on.
Checked all fuses and links I could find.
Obviously, we ruled out the IPDM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did you try a new ecm relay when you swapped the ipdm? I don't know if they come with new relays or not.
yup, it was complete with relays and fuses. The first thing I had tried was swapping relays after checking fuses.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Fuel Pump relay?

According to FSM, computer relies on Cam and Crank sensors to energize fuel pump.

Also this:

The ECM activates the fuel pump for several seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON to improve engine
start ability. If the ECM receives a engine speed signal from the camshaft position sensor (PHASE), it knows
that the engine is rotating, and causes the pump to operate. If the engine speed signal is not received when
the ignition switch is ON, the engine stalls. The ECM stops pump operation and prevents battery discharging,
thereby improving safety. The ECM does not directly drive the fuel pump. It controls the ON/OFF fuel pump
relay, which in turn controls the fuel pump.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fuel Pump relay?

According to FSM, computer relies on Cam and Crank sensors to energize fuel pump.
Also this:
The ECM activates the fuel pump for several seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON to improve engine
start ability. If the ECM receives a engine speed signal from the camshaft position sensor (PHASE), it knows
that the engine is rotating, and causes the pump to operate. If the engine speed signal is not received when
the ignition switch is ON, the engine stalls. The ECM stops pump operation and prevents battery discharging,
thereby improving safety. The ECM does not directly drive the fuel pump. It controls the ON/OFF fuel pump
relay, which in turn controls the fuel pump.
This would be why i hear the fuel pump come on but the Xterra dont start.
(days after a fuel pump assembly swap)

Update: The ECM had a bad communication chip. SIA Electronics repaired and running fine.
im kinda leaning that way on mine. did you find a pin out to rule the ecu as the problem?

My issue, stock 05 (other than rad swap) the fuel gauge would not work so swapped the whole assembly since the xterra had 195K miles. Drove great a few days and then would not start. Just swapped the IPDM 5 mins ago and still nothing.
im thinking ECU, CPS x2 (crank) or Cam position sensor.

would love to know how you diagnosed the ECU as the problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts