Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be losing my transmission soon. It drives fine in drive, but slips if I give it much torque in reverse. No SMOD to speak of, but the fluid is brown/smells burnt. What are my options?

I don't need much in the way of performance since it's stock, my DD, and I only take it hunting/camping a few times a year.

2007 Xterra Offroad automatic with 100K.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluid has never been flushed. For this reason, I am hesitant to change it. Unless something has changed, I have heard story after story of the trans giving up the ghost soon after flushing burnt fluid.

·
Registered
16,147 Posts
It also has the potential to alleviate or even correct your slipping in reverse problem. Keeping the same ATF in the trans for the remainder of the life of the vehicle is not a viable solution for your current issue IMHO. Burnt fluid will only take you so far and then you will have to replace the trans. At least your have a chance of keeping it for longer with new fluid. If you flush it correctly and change the internal filter/clean the magnets in the trans pan you should be fine. Just my .02...but what the hell do i know. ;)

·
on line
1,113 Posts
X3, change it soon and your going to get more time out of your transmission worst case scenario it might not be much time but better off than leaving it and having to buy a new trans sooner rather than later. Mine came out brown and burnt smelling at 30k and since then its been a normal color when I change it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
100K?!?! It is slipping because your fluid is completely broken down. Flush it ASAP. It's easy, and it will NOT cause transmission failure. If your tranny fails after flushing, it was going to go regardless, and you stand a much better chance of saving your transmission if you flush it NOW.

Don't wait. Flush it today, if you can. Read the How To on this forum. All you need is a 12 quarts of Matic S, a 5 gallon bucket, a pair of pliers and some 5/8" hose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts