Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This being my first post in the forum I have to say Ive been reading for days all the posts about xterra's being stuck in four wheel drive. I have yet to come across one that covers the issue im having so Im posting now for help. If someone knows of a thread that covers my issue please post it here so I can jump on it. For now this is what ive got.

2006 Nissan Xterra, All stock with 134K miles.

The issue: Last week after using the four wheel drive in a snow storm my wife switched back into 2 wheel drive. The indicator light when out and showed she was no longer in 4x4 mode.
The next day when backing out of the driveway she felt the Xterra tugging while turning as if she was still in 4x4, still no indicator light or dummy lights on the dash.
I switched back in forth in and out of 4x4 along with trying the back up method, complete stop, quick pumps of the gas to try and pop it out of 4x4. I checked and pulled all the relays under the hood that are associated with the 4x4 system. After all attempts failed I read thread after thread of issues of being stuck in 4x4 mode but none of them with the indicator lights showing they were in 2 wheel drive.

With the entire vehicle lifted off the ground I took the Transfer control device off the TC and checked its operation. it operated as it should while selecting 2wd,4wd hi and 4wd low.
I even manually turned the transfer gas with a screw driver from 2wd, 4wd hi and 4wd low, each time testing by putting xterra in gear on stands. The 4x4 was engaged every time. Put it back into 2wd, lined up the slot and reattached the Transfer control device.

I tried disconnecting the power at the Transfer control device, didn't disengage.

Under the dash I disconnected the Differential lock control unit, still stuck in 4x4. I tried disconnecting with the engine off and on, in park and in gear. Nothing changed.

I cant find any vacuum lines or electrical components on the front axle, am i missing something? Is there anything that sends a signal to the hubs to make them lock? Any help, info, past experiances would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This being my first post in the forum I have to say Ive been reading for days all the posts about xterra's being stuck in four wheel drive. I have yet to come across one that covers the issue im having so Im posting now for help. If someone knows of a thread that covers my issue please post it here so I can jump on it. For now this is what ive got.

2006 Nissan Xterra, All stock with 134K miles.

The issue: Last week after using the four wheel drive in a snow storm my wife switched back into 2 wheel drive. The indicator light when out and showed she was no longer in 4x4 mode.
The next day when backing out of the driveway she felt the Xterra tugging while turning as if she was still in 4x4, still no indicator light or dummy lights on the dash.
I switched back in forth in and out of 4x4 along with trying the back up method, complete stop, quick pumps of the gas to try and pop it out of 4x4. I checked and pulled all the relays under the hood that are associated with the 4x4 system. After all attempts failed I read thread after thread of issues of being stuck in 4x4 mode but none of them with the indicator lights showing they were in 2 wheel drive.

With the entire vehicle lifted off the ground I took the Transfer control device off the TC and checked its operation. it operated as it should while selecting 2wd,4wd hi and 4wd low.
I even manually turned the transfer gas with a screw driver from 2wd, 4wd hi and 4wd low, each time testing by putting xterra in gear on stands. The 4x4 was engaged every time. Put it back into 2wd, lined up the slot and reattached the Transfer control device.

I tried disconnecting the power at the Transfer control device, didn't disengage.

Under the dash I disconnected the Differential lock control unit, still stuck in 4x4. I tried disconnecting with the engine off and on, in park and in gear. Nothing changed.

I cant find any vacuum lines or electrical components on the front axle, am i missing something? Is there anything that sends a signal to the hubs to make them lock? Any help, info, past experiances would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
Like stated above you do not have locking hubs but the question I have it do you hear the actuator move the transfer case selector? I would start there but it is odd that the system thinks it is in 2wd when it is in 4wd. Also you were you in just 4wd hi? you can try putting into 4wd mode again. Also the diff lock does nothing for what mode the transfer case is in and you must be in 4wd lo for it the engage and you need to be stopped.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
the dash I disconnected the Differential lock control unit, still stuck in 4x4. I tried disconnecting with the engine off and on, in park and in gear. Nothing changed.
Also try neutral. The get in and out of 4-lo the shifter must be in neutral.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
I wish these vehicles had locking hubs...
You and I both. So much wasted fuel spinning all the CV axles front diff and front DS all the time while driving in 2wd everywhere. All for the soccer moms. Even auto hubs would be better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already learned something new. I've always had old fashioned full sized truck with locking hubs.

The binding happens in forward and reverse when making turns.

I've shifted in and out of 4wd and 4wd low numerous times. Doing this while moving and on jackstands
I do have the motor turning the transfer case when I select gears I have also manually changed gears with the screwdriver directly in the transfer case still does not take it out of of 4hi

·
Registered
243 Posts
I already learned something new. I've always had old fashioned full sized truck with locking hubs.

The binding happens in forward and reverse when making turns.

I've shifted in and out of 4wd and 4wd low numerous times. Doing this while moving and on jackstands
I do have the motor turning the transfer case when I select gears I have also manually changed gears with the screwdriver directly in the transfer case still does not take it out of of 4hi
Try this to confirm if you are stuck in 4wd jack up just the front and try turning the front driveshaft if you can turn it then you are not in 4wd as someone else mentioned it may be in the front diff as the wheels are always engaged to the diff only the t-case shifts if there is a broken spider gear in the front diff it would be keeping the wheels locked to each other as if you had a locker engaged and that would give the same symptoms

·
Registered
560 Posts
You and I both. So much wasted fuel spinning all the CV axles front diff and front DS all the time while driving in 2wd everywhere. All for the soccer moms. Even auto hubs would be better.
That's what I mean - even auto locking hubs would be great. I've even searched for locking hub kits. Aisin and Warn sell them for older toyotas. Crossing my fingers someone brings one to market. Not holding my breath, though. I'm pretty sure there just isn't physical room in the upright design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried that too, the drive shaft doesn't want to spin. I accepted defeat and sent it out to fa family friend to have him go through it. I hate to loose but this thing has been kicking my ass.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hate to be the one to say it but with everything you say you have tried it sounds to me like there is a high chance that it is something inside the t-case. But whatever it turns out to be keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will definitely keep you guys posted on the outcome. This is actually my wife's daily driver so if it's an expensive fix I'm screwed. She's already nosing through websites for new cars!

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
I will definitely keep you guys posted on the outcome. This is actually my wife's daily driver so if it's an expensive fix I'm screwed. She's already nosing through websites for new cars!

@Gopats OP: Any updates? Have you found the problem? Is it still messed up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts