Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Pretty new to this forum.

I recently had a CAM sensor go on my 2006 Xterra (abrupt stalling, hesitating, rough idle). It has 188 000 km on it. Dealership replaced the CAM sensor, the ECM relay (known recall) and replaced the air filter. They had to pull the plugs on one bank to dry them out as the truck was flooded because of the CAM sensor failure. All seemed well - no codes and truck ran fine. About 24 hours later the service engine soon light popped on.

Dealer pulled codes and came up with P0420 and P0430 and told me cat effiency on B1 and B2 were below threshold. They thought flooding might have damaged catalytic converters. I can clear codes using the trick in the service manual if you don't have a code scanner. Light pops back on after about 20 km of driving. Truck runs fine. Dealer is telling me that it will $2700 for parts and labour (I'm in Canada) to replace the cats (B1 and B2). I've researched on here about the codes and catalytic converter failure.

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts if there might be other causes for the SES problem? Will I mess up my truck by not immediately dealing with this issue? is the dealer throwing me a line of BS about the flooding-I didn't think that the catalytic converters would be that sensitive.

Thanks in advance your input.

·
on line
576 Posts
Buy aftermarket cats and install them it will be cheaper.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
They had the battery to replace sensor....once evrything was plugged in, the minute they started the vehicle it was under air/fuel re learning procedure......you drove it hard and now have a rich fuel mixture throwing the code (maybe)
Disconnect the battery....negative then positive and leave it for 1 hour
Connect positive then negative and start vehicle...allow to warm then go to flat open highway without going over 2000rpms
Bring truck to 60mph and stay at that speed for 50 miles

Drive easy for the next few days.... a quick way to find out if your running rich is to find a small hill and listen for a slight gurgeling or rattle snake sound
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts