Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm in Middle Tennessee & gotta get some work done on my Xterra rear end.
I had the rear differential completely rebuilt a few years ago and within a year had to get the pinion seals re done too.
Again, I've got the whirring sound above 50mph when the gas pedal is depressed.
I want to get it worked on before it get's too bad. The last dealer that worked on the truck under warranty told me the whirring sound was normal which is BS. It's out of warranty now.

Are there any shops in the Middle Tennessee are that do good differential work.
Nashville,Lebanon,Murfreesboro,Cookeville are all within an hour drive from me.

Thanks,

Paul

·
on line
3,673 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm in Middle Tennessee & gotta get some work done on my Xterra rear end.

I had the rear differential completely rebuilt a few years ago and within a year had to get the pinion seals re done too.

Again, I've got the whirring sound above 50mph when the gas pedal is depressed.

I want to get it worked on before it get's too bad. The last dealer that worked on the truck under warranty told me the whirring sound was normal which is BS. It's out of warranty now.

Are there any shops in the Middle Tennessee are that do good differential work.

Nashville,Lebanon,Murfreesboro,Cookeville are all within an hour drive from me.

Thanks,

Paul

Welcome to the forum. I am also in middle Tennessee. It's going to be difficult to find anyone to do differential work other than putting in a new set of gears or replacing a pinion seal. These axles just aren't that serviceable. None of them run silent that I have heard. I get a little noise from mine at 190000 miles. If I were you, I would change the fluid and look at the condition. If there isn't a huge excess of metal flakes, you are fine to keep running it most likely.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I had to get my rear end replaced at 105000, from what i understand there is a design issues with how the E locker was put in and modifications done to the spider gears resulting in some type of failure.

My new rear is indeed bran new off the line form Nissan and it still has a little noise to it, specially when I back up and turn, can hear the mechanical wizardry going around back there.

Id agree with ryandavenport change the fluid, take a look and keep a watch on it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts