Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first xterra which seems to be in great shape. i loooveee it, it’s a 2006 and it has about 126,000 miles and all around no great concerns except the potential of smod i have seen that these cars are prone to, but I see on the service records of the car that the transmission and propeller shaft was serviced at 85,000 miles, and then a reconditioned transmission with rebuilt torque is also on the service records at 110,000 miles. so my question is, should i be concerned of smod?? has the problem been taken care of, or should i still play it safe and install the new radiator and new lines and such? i’m not super familiar with cars but want to take the best care of it that i can. thanks for any response!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
You have questions which only you can answer, but maybe I can help a little.

First, SMOD is the result of a faulty radiator.
Check the top of your radiator and determine if it's a Calsonic radiator.
If not, your fear of SMOD is over.

If you have a Calsonic radiator, look for a part number (should be a sticker) and compare the number to those listed on the link below

If your radiator is associated with SMOD, perform a radiator bypass until you can swap your radiator.
Just because your X has 126,000 miles on the current radiator does not guarantee SMOD cannot happen tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Ps, if you plan to swap your radiator, swap your coolant hoses and the transmission lines at the bottom.

The trans lines tend to be overlooked , but they can become brittle and burst at the most unfortunate times.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience 05 Titan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ps, if you plan to swap your radiator, swap your coolant hoses and the transmission lines at the bottom.

The trans lines tend to be overlooked , but they can become brittle and burst at the most unfortunate times.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience 05 Titan.
When i go to look for the transmission lines, what specifically am i asking for? I have gone to multiple car stores and no one has been able to help me determine exactly what it is i need when i ask for a transmission line and tells me to do a little bit more research.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i go to look for the transmission lines, what specifically am i asking for? I have gone to multiple car stores and no one has been able to help me determine exactly what it is i need when i ask for a transmission line and tells me to do a little bit more research.
i finally was able to get some help and better understanding on all of this at an autozone and find all of the needed parts. thank you for the response

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I'm sorry I couldn't respond sooner.
Today has been rather hectic to say the least.
I'm glad someone at the auto parts store was able to assist in answering your questions.

Reactions: lacozy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts