Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting off getting my X to the dealership to have my hitch replaced, but I know from some of the posts here that my hitch is one of the ones that is recalled (KR100). Called the dealership to make an appointment to have the hitch replaced, they said they've never heard of the recall and that it didn't show up for my X, only the harness recall showed up. So I did some searching and found posts about it, but the link I found which actually shows by serial number that my hitch is bad no longer works.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/ntb05-100.htm

I remember that this page actually showed that the KR100 hitch needs replaced, and I need something that I can print and give to the dealership so that they will replace it. Does anybody have a copy of this document saved on their computer that they could send me, or a new link to what I am looking for? Everything I am finding just says there is a recall but doesn't go into details which say that the KR100 is the one that needs replaced.

Wish Nissan would have done a little better at documenting this...

Thanks!

·
on line
77 Posts
My first post on this site!!! Anyways, the recall is not for the HITCH, but rather than electical box that the harness connects to, so have them look for that. very well know recall for the dealerships.

·
on line
105 Posts
WSU_Coug said:
Called the dealership to make an appointment to have the hitch replaced, they said they've never heard of the recall and that it didn't show up for my X, only the harness recall showed up.
I had a similar experience a few years back...I made an appointment and dropped off my X to have the hitch replaced due to the recall. When I went to pick it up, the old hitch was still on but they had done the harness recall. Luckily, I had a copy of the recall notice with me.

EDIT- Here is a printable document link:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recall...&summary=true&prod_id=208850&PrintVersion=YES

regards,

·
on line
10 Posts
Alright there approximately 12.500 hitches affected Applied Vins are Built
between 5N1AN08**5C600000 - 658527 Tow hitch label must be Nissan P/N 999T5-KR100 or Valley P/N 2112-00-385 Other #s not involved in the campaign The Vin's cannot be looked up on Service Com so your dealer can not use Service Com to tell you if you need this recall. Hope that helps you all. :wave:

·
on line
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I went to the service desk at my dealership thinking again I was going to have a hard time convincing them that my hitch was one of the ones needing to be recalled. He said they only do recalls by VIN # and would check the service-comm. To my surprise, the hitch recall is now on there and they went ahead and got me scheduled for the recall. Just got it back with the new hitch, no probs whatsoever!

Anyway, thanks for all the info!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
ok...so I have bought the harness from the dealer, but I have not installed it yet. I have another aftermarket hitch...shopuld I be taking the 7 pin harness that I bought back?

·
on line
150 Posts
It's my understanding that it is not the wiring harness, it is the physical connection of the hitch and the hitch themselves. I bought my hitch from an indy about a year ago and installed it myself, it to is covered under the bulletin, so get them checked out. It's free and pretty simple/quick... In all honesty I love my dlr., they are competitively priced and treat me good...

·
on line
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Miles,
There is a wiring harness that was recalled (called a BCM I think) and the hitch itself was also recalled on some VIN's

Patrick,
Alan Webb Nissan in Vancouver, WA was also very helpful and hassle free in getting both the BCM harness and trailer hitch recalls done - along with a free carwash each time :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts