Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family and I were driving down interstate about 70mph, went to change lanes and realized it was dead, no power. Pulled of the road and nothing, no start. Won't turn over at all.

Thought maybe alternator went out, so had a buddy jump it while still on side of road.

It ran ROUGH for 3-4 seconds and died.

Had it towed home, and it has sat ever since.

If you try to crank it, it just makes a fast clicking noise. Never engages/tries to turn over what so ever.

and if it IS the chain, then the motor cant be saved can it??

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
There's so many things it could possibly be besides the chains... Although that might be a possibility.

As someone else suggested, throw a code scanner on it.

I got five bucks on camshaft position sensor. ...and a bad battery/alternator. Hey, it'd be cheaper than a new engine. Good luck man!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really hoping so. Although i just had camshaft and crank sensors in it 2 months ago. Standard OBD2 scanner work? I'll head to harbor freight later and pick one up I guess.

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
really hoping so. Although i just had camshaft and crank sensors in it 2 months ago. Standard OBD2 scanner work? I'll head to harbor freight later and pick one up I guess.
A standard OBD scanner should be able to at least pull diagnostic codes, which is 99% of what you'll need. Also, which cam/crankshafts did you put in?

I know people get tired of hearing this, but I had the same issues with dying and not starting/running rough. I had JUST put new cam/shafts in from NAPA. Pulled codes. Sure enough, they were crap. These are one item I will NEVER use aftermarket for.

Hitachi makes the OEM ones, so you'd be find going Hitachi... Or OEM and that's it. Hopefully we can figure out your issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello all, just bought a scanner and pulled the codes. Had 3 current codes.

P0420 and P0430 (02 or cats I guess)

P0011 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
There's so many things it could possibly be besides the chains... Although that might be a possibility.

As someone else suggested, throw a code scanner on it.

I got five bucks on camshaft position sensor. ...and a bad battery/alternator. Hey, it'd be cheaper than a new engine. Good luck man!
BINGO!!!! CPS was surely what caused it to stop running, cats being shot is no bueno , but it wouldnt have completely stopped the engine, unless they really came apart and destroyed the internals, but op didnt mention any smoke so i doubt that.

I had a cat code p0430 and nothing catastrophic happened.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hello all, just bought a scanner and pulled the codes. Had 3 current codes.

P0420 and P0430 (02 or cats I guess)

P0011 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
Man I just realized your in JAX! thats where im from! which hwy did you break down on?

im curious how many miles the X has on it if you dont mind sharing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No smoking what so ever.

So what is OEM brand for the CPS? Autozone has a few options. Should I replace the VVT for that bank also?

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
Well, as far as I know Hitachi makes the sensors for Nissan. But I could be wrong... You can get OEM from eBay or Amazon. If you need it now, your only source would be the dealership and THEY WILL CHARGE YOU quite literally (not really) an arm and a leg. Stealership near me wanted 298 for both camshaft sensors and the crankshaft sensor. I got all of them ORM (newest revision with metal sleeves ending in D) for 140 ok eBay... From a different dealership in Georgia. Lol.

FWIW, I got the Napa ones when my original ones died. They last two months and left me stranded on the freeway as well.

Some people have luck, but a lot don't with AutoZone sensors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, motor is toast. Replaced sensor and battery since it wouldnt start. God awful metal noise then seized up.
So if I cant get a replacement motor cheap then she is being sold as is

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well, motor is toast. Replaced sensor and battery since it wouldnt start. God awful metal noise then seized up.
So if I cant get a replacement motor cheap then she is being sold as is
Bummer man!

Sorry to hear that. I wonder what exactly happened to it. sounds like maybe the cats did self destruct?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure. I MAY try a pull a part motor if i can get the labor cost done reasonable. Hate to let it go for cheap. When a motor is under 500 to pull.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
9 Participants
JeffBett
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing