Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well somehow we just fried our clutch on our 05 xterra off road 4X4. It has 18k miles on it...What the crap...Big dissapointment for nissan. This car had been awesome so far. Basically I'd like to replace it with a stronger aftermarket clutch. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Thanks

·
on line
2,938 Posts
bugss37 said:
Nope...sucks
Do they have to replace the flywheel? If so have them look at all the components. On other MT's with a premature clutch failure there was an issue with a flywheel component that failed. They had to cover it under warranty.

22K and no clutch issues yet!

·
on line
735 Posts
I'd like to hear from the nissan service manual or see pics of this flywheel. I don't see why you couldn't resurface it once unless it used a curved surface profile that can't easily be resurfaced.

clutches with more clamping force will be available sooner or later. even if it does, a conventional clutch on a conventional flat surface ought to work normally unless aluminum compatible clutch friction material is made of unobtainium.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
mike100 said:
I'd like to hear from the nissan service manual or see pics of this flywheel. I don't see why you couldn't resurface it once unless it used a curved surface profile that can't easily be resurfaced.
It is the dealer they don't understand the word re-surface.

·
on line
134 Posts
mike100 said:

clutches with more clamping force will be available sooner or later. even if it does, a conventional clutch on a conventional flat surface ought to work normally unless aluminum compatible clutch friction material is made of unobtainium.
^^^ Nice! Would that be in the Lanthanide or Actinide series?

·
on line
735 Posts
^^^ Nice! Would that be in the Lanthanide or Actinide series?[/quote]

you made me google.. I hope it was the first since the second are all radioactive :cyclopsani: .

·
on line
155 Posts
Don't feel bad. I have an '06 OR and mine took a dump at 25K. Covered under warranty but still a pain in the ass. I think it was from towing all the losers that would get stuck in the dunes. I even pulled a SuperDuty up a slight grade. Probably a few pounds over 5K.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Our clutches suck! I'm a gentle, experienced shifter, and still I can smell the thing when it gets hot. I've driven manual trans all my life, had Acuras and VWs and Chevys with original clutches at well over 100K. Never had a problem. But this thing, like the one in the Subaru I used to have, isn't made for stop-and-start on serious hills, towing, or the rigors of wheeling. It may work OK most of the time, but it's a weak link. And Nissan knows it.

·
on line
423 Posts
I have just under 20k on my 06. I think that mine is going but I just figure I was going nuts since its still new.

I never had a clutch go, what are the symptoms of this? Whats happening to me is that it doesn't pull as hard letting out the clutch. I used to get a bit of a chugging when I let out the clutch too fast and I doesn't seem to accelerate or down shift as well.

How are you getting the dealer to cover a toasted clutch?

·
on line
155 Posts
The first thing mine did is kick me off of cruise control. Then a loss in power. Followed by engaging slow. Finally trouble pulling up hills and taking a big fat loafer as I coasted into the dealership...

·
on line
187 Posts
i dont see y a vq35 clutch wont fit our tranny too.....i mean everything should almost be the same.... jwt used a clutch on their 7sk or whatever truck! so...im guessing its the same clutch as a 350z.....
look....
maxima intake bolts up, y not a clutch too? im pretty sure the flywheel might be different...heavier since we have a truck.....
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/news.asp

·
on line
564 Posts
bmaloney said:
I have just under 20k on my 06....How are you getting the dealer to cover a toasted clutch?
Dude, Nissan's warranty covers the drivetrain for 60 months or 60K miles. The dealer should replace it, no questions asked.

Rob

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Clutches are an exception, since they can be destroyed by driver error in one incident. It's a case-by-case basis. But I would be optimistic about winning the argument, since they know they've got a borderline clutch in our truck.

BTW, I know why people ask folks who've burnt a clutch how old they are, but the fact is that our clutch is way too easy to fry, even for experienced, careful, gentle drivers. Nissan techs have admitted as much to me.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
BTW, I know why people ask folks who've burnt a clutch how old they are, but the fact is that our clutch is way too easy to fry, even for experienced, careful, gentle drivers.
lol
Unless they switched manufacturers for OE parts, I'd chalk it up to operator error. The clutch in my '01 went over 150k hard miles with no issues. Although, given that I just had the front diff replaced on the '07 w/ 9k miles, anythings possible, as it's failure was unpossibly not my fault..

·
on line
2,938 Posts
DBAX said:
BTW, I know why people ask folks who've burnt a clutch how old they are, but the fact is that our clutch is way too easy to fry, even for experienced, careful, gentle drivers.
lol
Unless they switched manufacturers for OE parts, I'd chalk it up to operator error. The clutch in my '01 went over 150k hard miles with no issues. Although, given that I just had the front diff replaced on the '07 w/ 9k miles, anythings possible, as it's failure was unpossibly not my fault..
I agree. I know both folks that have gotten 150K out of there clutch in the X and other's who only got 20-35K. I see both those people wheel and I know why they make the clutch last or fry it!

·
on line
1,792 Posts
kokopop said:
I agree. I know both folks that have gotten 150K out of there clutch in the X and other's who only got 20-35K. I see both those people wheel and I know why they make the clutch last or fry it!
Driving technique is obviously a huge factor. But, does the Gen1 X have the same clutch? I assume you mean Gen1 folks, since 150K is a lot of miles for even an '05. And even assuming it's exactly the same clutch, if it's Gen1, they've got a lot less power at 3.3L to transmit in the first place.

Take the X, and get stuck in the snow, and try to drive it out, not like an idiot, but with some real finesse. Or wind up in start and stop traffic on a 5 mile long steep hill, like on the trip to Big Bear in the San Bernadino Mtns out here when they're checking everyone's chains. Or pulling your boat out of the water on a slippery, steep ramp. In these situations even a talented MT driver is in greater danger than necessary of overheating our clutch. It's not as durable as it should be.

I'm not denying driver error; I'm saying that our clutch should and could be stronger for the power we run stock and for the situations the X is advertised as capable of negotiating. Everyone spins and slips a bit getting unstuck in the sand. Let's make clutches that can take some amount of hard use, not abuse, not "powershifting" at every light, not "getting wheels" in third gear--but for normal, conscientious hard driving. Your clutch may be fine, but I bet that as Xs age we're going to see way too much premature clutch failure compared to somewhat older, similar vehicles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts