Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck was purchased new in Rochester, NY back in 2005 and went through two winters there before I moved down to Florida. The truck was undercoated for rust protection etc....

However, I am forming rust inside the door areas and want to know if anyone else is experiencing this and what do they suggest to do? I do not want it to spread and want to keep the truck in good shape for as long as I can since I do not plan to get rid of it.

Pics below...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I would sand it and spray if before it spreads like cancer . Or take it to a body shop ot won't cost that much for the to fix it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, sand and spray.
I would just bring it to a place that does Line X bed liners and have them do your rocker panels and just inside the door...
I just had it done and it seems to be bullet proof. We'll see how it holds up this winter

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Nissan had to buy back Pathfinders for rust so maybe as X's get older they will have the same issues. For that amount I'd sand , sparay with a rust converter and paint over it. No one will ever accuse Nissan of using high quality sheet metal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the same problem. Rust on the inside of the doors, on the rocker panel, and strangely, all around the rear washer spray nozzle, plus a bit at the bottom of the rear hatch. Got it all sanded, primed and painted at a body shop before it got worse. Now I have to remove the tow hitch and get it blasted and painted, it's rusting away badly....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got quoted today for around 5k dollars to do the job. However they said they wouldn't be able to guarantee their work because 80% of the time it comes back. Basically recommended me getting a new truck. This makes me pissed since the truck was paid off years ago - was well cared for and had undercoating spray done when purchased - yet only been through two winters up north. Not sure what I want to do now since I'm trying to pay off a Camaro I purchased in 2011. I love this truck and hate to see it go if I decide to go that route. Doubt I will ever buy another Nissan again since there is no excuse for this to happen.

On the flip side - I keep getting offers in the mail from Nissan Dealerships wanting to purchase my truck since it is in high demand now and will offer top dollar for it if in good condition and low mileage. I currently have 146k miles on the truck and rust is forming. HA!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don these trucks have a rust/corrosion warranty?
The warranty I believe is only good for the first 30k - 50k miles or 3 years whichever comes first.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I'm from the ROC/CUSE area and they use a crap ton of salt (because there are a a lot of salt mines in western/upstate NY it is inexpensive). After my second NY car I vowed to never buy one again because of how bad the salt corrodes everything.

As your shop suggested, it comes back a lot of the time because you need to get 100% of the rust or it will re-form and eat away like cancer (as rooney put it). I'd sell it for top dollar.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just checked.... 60K/unlimited miles
So what does that mean then? unlimited miles? for rust/corrosion coverage?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bummer. Its not worth paying 5k IMO for the repairs. Will just continue to drive it till I find something else better that comes along.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the same problem. Rust on the inside of the doors, on the rocker panel, and strangely, all around the rear washer spray nozzle, plus a bit at the bottom of the rear hatch. Got it all sanded, primed and painted at a body shop before it got worse. Now I have to remove the tow hitch and get it blasted and painted, it's rusting away badly....
Did you pay to have all this done or did Nissan cover that?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just traded in my 2005 S Xterra (Red Brawn - color ) with 147k miles for a 2012 Xterra Pro 4X with 33k miles (Lava Red- color) OTD for 18k. Couldn't be happier. Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did you pay to have all this done or did Nissan cover that?
I paid. I found a guy that used to work in the local Chev body shop that "retired" and opened his own shop. I was quoted $3500 at two body shops, he did a great job for $1500. The big difference is labour costs, $40 an hour vice $110 an hour. Material costs were roughly the same.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I paid. I found a guy that used to work in the local Chev body shop that "retired" and opened his own shop. I was quoted $3500 at two body shops, he did a great job for $1500. The big difference is labour costs, $40 an hour vice $110 an hour. Material costs were roughly the same.
You did good IMO! :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts