Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

ok, so a couple of questions here. I own a 2005, AT SE xterra with 105000 miles, it was diagnosed tuesday by a nissan dealer with a bad rear diff. The diff has regularly had the fluid changed as well as the rear diff breather. Never any signs of any leaks therefore never run dry. So i have contacted consumer affairs, not expecting much, but they are going to call back on Tuesday and let me know there determination. Deal qouted $ 3500 for the job:crybaby:

In the meantime i have located a brand new unit, same gear ratio 3.13, that was ordered for a 2011 2wd, part #43004 EA000. Dealer said my rear axle assembly part number was #43004 EA009, based on VIN. Dealer was unsure, but said that both part numbers appeared to be the same part and were used in both 2 and 4wd rigs. ??? I have also contacted a couple of salvage yards and they are indicating that there is difference in the 2wd and 4wd axle assemblies. SO now im very confused ??

can someone clear up the this?? can the 2wd rear axle assembly work in the 4wd or not??

also, have others had rear diff issues??

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
As far as I know, the only thing that matters is gear ratio, which is a match for your truck. It should be exactly the same.

What exactly happened to your rear diff?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I cant find the link for the life of me but Im pretty sure you have a c200k with 3.13 gears I know OR versions have m226 I hoped that helped. But can I ask what happened to your rear diff? Mine is making a whine noise under power at 45-55 mph I changed diff fluid it helped a little bit but the noise is so annoying and I dont know if i want to just have the one I got rebuilt or search for another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant find the link for the life of me but Im pretty sure you have a c200k with 3.13 gears I know OR versions have m226 I hoped that helped. But can I ask what happened to your rear diff? Mine is making a whine noise under power at 45-55 mph I changed diff fluid it helped a little bit but the noise is so annoying and I dont know if i want to just have the one I got rebuilt or search for another.
thats the thing, Im not sure why or how my has failed. The truck has had the annoying whine from the rear end from probably around 60k, now at 100k. The noise has always been worst around 55 to 60 mph. the noise has slowly gotten worse over the years to the point now that when i slow to a stop the entire rear of the vehicle vibrates so bad i fear that its going to lock-up.

maybe nissan will step up to the plate and help me out?? will know Tuesday! in the meantime preparing for the worst case and trying to find a used unit.

thx

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine is at 90k right now and I noticed it at 75k I think is has something to do with the breather when I took a look at my axle I found this little breather cap and it looked like it had failed long ago I think this cap over time will freeze or lock in place letting in moisture, and other contaminants causing the whine I dont know thats just what I think since then I've installed the breather mod but I know it wont help until i get a new or rebuilt rear end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO, Nissan finally got back to me after 5 days and proceeded to tell me to "GO SCRATCH". kinda what i was expecting, however still cant believe that they dont acknowledge the problem. Ended up getting a low mileage unit out of a 07 xterra from a salvage yard and installed it last thursday night. Not a bad job, took two of us about 5 hours, including dinner.

Keep those breathers replaced or cleaned. Pretty sure that is what ended up doing my rear diff in. the breather on my was seized right up and actually had pressure in the axle when removed.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Yep, sounds like your fluid got contaminated which eventually resulted in failure.

While your axle is still new, look up the rear diff breather extension mod (essentially clamping a hose over the breather and running it up high). Even if you don't wheel your X, it will do a lot for making sure no water gets in there ever again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts