Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you all know that i have the rear driveline vibration that comes with bigger lifts, and i now have after doing the calmini 5" lift.

i took my driveline into Tom Woods today and they are going to build me a CV style driveshaft. the guy i am working with said that if i could change out the flange at the diff, it would make things much easier from the driveline fix...meaning, less fabrication.

does anyone know if the pinion flange (not sure if that is the actual term) could be swapped out to a more standard type of flange...something based on a u-joint type driveshaft?

Tom Woods will be able to build what I need, but it would be a little better if I could swap out to a more standard flange.

i will post up pics when the shaft is done.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I don't know. It's a good question. I would ask them to pull the yoke and see if another one would fit. I don't know anyone who has pulled it off the diff before to see what size it is.

·
on line
75 Posts
It has a odd spline count. Just went out to the shop and took an accurate count for you, 24 splines.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Is the spline count the same as the new Jk's? I know they have funky D44's as well.

·
on line
75 Posts
Back when I heard that the Rubi stuff might work, I had Precision Gear go pull a set off their shelf and try it. They already had a sample rear and front end there I had sent them. He called back and said the pinion was not same. I did not ask what was different, I just went on pushing for getting a factory replacement gear set made.

call 734-946-0524 ex151 talk to Tony he can tell you what you need to know.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is progress and a question....

Xterracer set me up with a pinion flange to help with the development of the driveshaft. Tom Woods Driveshafts is recommending that they build a standard style driveshaft, which would be serviceable wherever I may need one, double cardan upper and single lower. JE Reel's shaft is a modified Nissan shaft. I am sure that Calmini wanted it kept simple when they had JE Reel build theirs. The prices are comparable from what I can tell.

As Xterracer noted, the pinion spline is 24 count. Tom Woods compared to the JK and guess what, the spline count is the same and the same size splines. They gave me a new JK pinion flange (custom version) to try on the pinion that Xterracer let me also borrow. It seems to fit perfectly. I will post up pictures of all of this. Without the new flange, I will need an adapter...the flange is the better way to go.

Here is my question. I just read in the 2005 Xterra Service Manual how to pull the flange, and then ensure it goes back on without messing up the pre-load. This entails checking the preload (inch pounds to turn the pinion) prior to removal of the pinion flange. Then, checking the preload and tightening, then checking, then tightening in 5 in lbs increments until you achieve the preload recorded at the start, not to exceed the actual nut tightening torque in ft lbs.

Can someone look in their service manual at what the torque specs on the pinion nut is/are? The manual I looked at online says 220-500 ft lbs...I think.

So, pics to come. I will get this all taken care of soon, and hopefully the vibration will be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
on line
641 Posts
JtaoJ said:
Can someone look in their service manual at what the torque specs on the pinion nut is/are? The manual I looked at online says 220-500 ft lbs...I think.
In a manual for the 2006 Xterra, on a page showing the exploded view of the C200 Rear Final Drive, for the "Drive pinion lock nut", it indicates "147 - 323 (15 - 32, 107 - 238)". On that page, in the legend, the 'white wrench' symbol next to those torque specs is indicated to show "N.m (kg-m, ft-lb)"(i.e. Newton-Meters, Kilogram-Meters, Foot-Pounds).

For the M226 without electronic locking differential, there is no legend on its exploded view, but for the "Drive pinion nut", next to a 'white wrench' symbol, is "298 - 678 (31 - 69, 220 - 500)". It shows the same values for the M226 with electronic locking differential.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. That is the same pic I was looking at. If I am reading it correctly, it states that the torque is 220-500 LBS...but...the preload torque is the one to focus on, and then the overall should fall into that LBS range as well.

Just seems high to me, but I am sure it is correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts