Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Off-Road, 2 WD, Manual. 98,000 on the clock. It runs fine and is a reliable vehicle. The Previous Owner must have been a biggy because the driver's seat is kind of crushed and there is some cigarette damage to the left edge of the driver's seat.

I am looking for suggestions to upgrade this vehicle. I am almost exclusively an on-road driver with brief gravel road excursions. I really have no need for a 4WD (I have had several) and prefer the 2WD manners on the highway.

The Driver's seat, driver's side carpet are shot, at least the bottom cushion.

I am interested in suggestions/sources for upgrade or repair.

Thanks,
Vern

·
Registered
822 Posts
For the carpet issue get a set of weathertech floor liners. They are pricy but look and fit great and theyll cover just about anywhere that could have been worn by everyday driving. There was a rep on here a while back(BlkHwk13 i think).

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I second the Weathertech liners, they are cheap for the protection they offer.

As for "off road" mods, I'm not sure what you are going for since 2WD isn't ideal for off road driving. Even on gravel roads I run 4WD so I can "pull" the front end around in a corner. Here is a quick list of things I would do:

• Weathertech floor liners
  • Replace both front seats (so they match)
  • Seat covers to prevent wear on new seats (I have a couple of Nissan ones I can part with that are airbag compatible)
  • PRG Advanced Coilover lift to fix the bottoming on the back end.
  • Possibly go up a tire size to fill out the wheel wells and give you a bit more sidewall flex off the pavement.
  • Budget down the road for upgraded rear springs with the AAL inevitably wears out. (I went with Alcan - no regrets)
  • LED off road lighting - because LEDs are cool and great for lighting up a campsite or vehicle recovery
  • Air compressor or compressed air tank so you can air down for off-pavement without worry.
You might also consider a lightweight tube bumper for the front end for extra badassitude.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2005 Off-Road, 2 WD, Manual. 98,000 on the clock. It runs fine and is a reliable vehicle. The Previous Owner must have been a biggy because the driver's seat is kind of crushed and there is some cigarette damage to the left edge of the driver's seat.

I am looking for suggestions to upgrade this vehicle. I am almost exclusively an on-road driver with brief gravel road excursions. I really have no need for a 4WD (I have had several) and prefer the 2WD manners on the highway.

The Driver's seat, driver's side carpet are shot, at least the bottom cushion.

I am interested in suggestions/sources for upgrade or repair.

Thanks,
Vern
I thought all the Off-road models were 4x4. I guess not.

One place I think the X really needs help and Blind_Io kinda touched on it, is the lighting. Not sure yet what the best way is to go for an upgrade but lighting, front and rear, is going to be my next mod.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Off-road and 2WD? I didn't know that was available.
I thought all the Off-road models were 4x4. I guess not.

One place I think the X really needs help and Blind_Io kinda touched on it, is the lighting. Not sure yet what the best way is to go for an upgrade but lighting, front and rear, is going to be my next mod.
That's a common misconception around here. The early Off Roads were indeed available as 2wd or 4wd. The 2wd were open rear (no locker) but got bilstein suspension and other goodies.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's a common misconception around here. The early Off Roads were indeed available as 2wd or 4wd. The 2wd were open rear (no locker) but got bilstein suspension and other goodies.
Interesting info. I didn't know. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts