Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

first time poster; i am looking into buyin a 2005 xterra se and everything looks good. too good as a matter of fact. the milegage is only 15000 kilometer.

thats a little low for an 05. my question is there any OTHER way to check the mileage of the truck other then the odometer inside on the cluster.

Maybe the trucks CPU has a milegage counter the dealer can plug in and check the real mileage on the vehicle ??

does anyone know

thank you
simon

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I had mine for a year and i just have 9000 on it I think 15k is normal. I believe the Scan Gauge can read that info from the computer but i would probably ask someone that has one to make sure. many guys here have them

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No, since the dash odometer gets it's date straight from the computer there isn't going to be anything else to check. If the dash is wrong, then everything would be wrong. What I would do is take it for a test drive around an already known route and check to make sure the odometer is reading correctly. In todays cars with digital odometers it's harder to roll it back.

The old trick is to look at the brake pedal. You can tell the difference between a pedal with 50k miles and one with 100k miles. Now with such low miles, I doubt you could see anything.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea with a digital OD it sure is hard to fool with, although about 2 years ago a ring in NJ got busted doing just that! They had to remove the Computer and do something to it and then re install it. So it can be done, but I seriously doubt it in this case for sure the mileage sounds right.

Have em pop it into the computer while you watch, if say a warranty claim showed up for 19000 miles, run!

MC

·
on line
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the reason i ask is because its actully very easy to fool the dash odomoter. all you have to do is simply unplug it. and nothing works, the speedo miles ect ect.

I read this on the interent. so id fgure they would put some fail safe on the system.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It's not that easy any more. All the data is stored in the computer. The computer would scream if it didn't see a signal.

Are you buying this from a dealer or a person?

If it's from a dealer tell them you want the extended warranty for free (or at least 50% off). That way even if it was rolled back, you are still covered.

Also, I have had my X since July of 05 and I drive a lot and have 32K miles on it. So, even if it was rolled back, it's not going to be all that many miles.

The other thing, pull up a Car Fax and see how many miles it had on the last inspection (if your state has inspections).

·
on line
160 Posts
I've got an '05 with just over 15K miles. Bought it this year with only 43 miles on it new. Of course, I've been across the US two times.

·
on line
551 Posts
15000 kilometers equals 9300 +/- miles
little low, but if it was bought at the end of the model year say fall 2005 then I wouldn't sweat it.
We just traded in an 2004 bought at the end of summer 2004 and it had only 16k miles yeah we don''t drive alot.
As stated above, run the VIN through Carfax, it'll tell you when it was originally put into use and also run the VIN through a Nissan dealer to check on recalls.
If it all checks out, and it's what you want go for it.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: -My '06 has less than 3900 mi. and most of that was put on last summer on trips to the Sierras--

--It is a closet Queen, I don't drive it in town unless necessary--

-- :drunken: :drunken: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i only put about 10k to 15k miles on mine a year, and it's my daily driver.

I have 3700 on mine (got it in September) and I am 900 miles into a 1600 mile road trip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts