Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read on XOC that the stock batteries are only reliable for 2 years, if that.

My car is almost 2 years old. Time for an upgrade?

·
on line
429 Posts
I replaced mine after 2+ years after it failed. In my instance it failed gradually and luckily didn't leave me stranded somewhere although I did have to jump it a couple times.

I think the stock battery is not the greatest but I also wouldn't stress over it before it needs replaced. If you are worried or have a few bucks laying around by all means replace it though.

·
on line
429 Posts
My post and Crow's lends credence to the idea that hot environments are more damaging to batteries than relatively cold ones like PA and MA.

·
on line
59 Posts
I am on my third Nissan (99 Pathfinder, 03 Xterra, and an 07 Xterra). My stock battery in my first two died almost 3 years to the day after I drove the truck off the lot. The Florida heat here is pretty brutal on batteries and I am sure if you run a lot of electronics in your X that will speed up the death of the battery. So I wouldn't worry to much until you have had your truck for about 2+ years. Then keep just check it every now and a then.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Mine is going on three (3) years old and it's PRIMO !!!

--course if it craps out in the Boonies, I've got a Power Jumper and a spare Battery !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
27 Posts
less than 2 years!

I bought a new vehicle so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting stranded or HAVE to buy parts for my vehicle for a number of years....

I must admit that I love my X as much as everyone else on these forums, but I am highly annoyed that my battery went after owning the truck for only 22 months! (it happened yesterday)

Fortunately it died in my garage and I live 2 minutes from a parts store, but come on...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, the batteries Nissan is using are complete crap. I had the same battery in my Intrepid for close to 8 years and over 100,000 miles before it gave me any trouble.

The stock battery in the X would always have corroded terminals (even after cleaning, using felt pads and protectant spray. It finally died on me when I went to leave work. Had it jumped, got home, next morning it was dead again, so I replaced it. That was right around the 2 year mark.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
The stock battery in the X would always have corroded terminals (even after cleaning, using felt pads and protectant spray.
I've noticed this, too. Why does the POS terminal on this battery get so corroded all the time? Other batteries I have had form some corrosion, but only after lots of miles/years.

·
on line
652 Posts
MY X has the old corrosion going on as well. I have cleaned it twice with the old baking soda and water but it still comes back. I have sprayed it down with the terminal crap but to no avail. I seem to get quite a lot of acid out of the top too for some unknown reason. But when she goes I will grab a new one from Wally world As they are about everywhere if you have a problem. I know the optima's are good but It's a freakin battery. I don't plan on driving my X upside down anytime soon.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A lot of times the terminal corrosion is caused by the vents venting a lot of acid. Well, since acid is key to the battery working, I think the battery just vents too much acid which kills it and causes lots of corrosion.

·
on line
2,540 Posts
Mine went out after just over 3 years. It was replaced with a Die Hard Platinium. The one in my wife's 06 pathy went out after 2 years and hers was replaced with a Die Hard gold. Its a gamble after 3 years if you ask me. Like in my wifes truck, one day it worked, the next it was dead with no signs of it going out.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
My battery only lasted about 2.5 years. I started to have a problem with starting each time I started. After the second time of almost not starting I went and got a new battery.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:idea1: Costco, is having a sale on OPTIMA, I already have their Kirkland for my trailer and I just got an OPTIMA D51M for one of my boats

Price was $159.99 with $25 dollar rebate-same 3yr free replace warranrty

:geek::geek: JIMBO

·
on line
3,218 Posts
My X was built Dec '06 and I was driving it Jan'07. The OME battery died last sunday w/ 38k miles on it. Replaced w/ an Exide Platinum ($84), looking for a good deal on an Optima red top now.. The original battery gave no signs of wear either, it just died.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
My first battery died at 15 months. The heat in Phoenix is brutal. Heat will kill batteries very fast. My second battery is exactly 12 months old right now, and it is doing fine. Most people in Phoenix will buy the battery gaurantee when buying a new battery - that way, if it craps out early, you can get a free replacement.

Batteries usually last longer in colder climates. Back in upstate NY, I had batteries last 8-10 years or more.

One thing to remember about the stock battery: it is not maintenance free. If you offroad, you will most likely spill battery fluid (from bouncing around). Make sure to keep your battery topped off with DISTILLED water. Also, keep the terminals clean. This will help prolong the life of your battery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts