Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not even sure you can call them mods:

Mag lite LED mounted in rear cargo area with mag lite brackets

And I finally found a recover shackle for a 2" hitch.

Does anyone know where you can buy the latex tool dip? I want to coat the shackle in a red latex or whatever material it is.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
I say just paint the thing with some rattle can.

I've been meaning to mount some flashlights in my truck, just haven't gotten around to it. Although I was going to skip the Mags and use Surefires.

·
on line
331 Posts
surefires sure are nice but the battery life reallly leaves something to be desired. So for a combat light surefire is best I have one on my weapon and one on my chest rig, but in the X it is and LED maglight

·
on line
20 Posts
Surefire makes a model now that has both high power and LED. A pilot friend of mine has one that he uses for work. The high power light is perfect for inspection of the aircraft before flight and the LED (he has a red led to save night vision) is ideal for use in the cabin.

You want a 'real' flashlight, check out Black Bear Flashlights at:

http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

These lights are so bright they can start fires. (video and warnings are on the web site)

·
on line
381 Posts
mtdewmike said:
Bueller44 said:
Does anyone know where you can buy the latex tool dip? I want to coat the shackle in a red latex or whatever material it is.
Home Depot or Lowe's. I haven't bought and/or used the stuff myself, but I know others who have, and they like it.
http://www.plastidip.com/
I picked mine up at Ace Hardware, only place local that had the container you dip them in, other only had the spray.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
the plastidip is going to come right off as soon as you use the shackle, i used it on a D ring and it peeled right off. Just my two cents, you should use spray paint.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
brutus_skx said:
the plastidip is going to come right off as soon as you use the shackle, i used it on a D ring and it peeled right off. Just my two cents, you should use spray paint.

yup, happened to shutterman's on the corpus run, one use and the coating was off....better off with the rattle can.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brutus_skx said:
does it need to be prmed before painting?

·
on line
3,218 Posts
My $.02-
1- Driving around w/ a recovery hitch is for posers.
2- The latex dip is a waste of money.
3- The flashlight WILL pop out as it's mounted.
4- Wipe it down with alcohol before you spray, if you're gonna' go that route.
Sorry to be a downer..
:)

·
on line
13,467 Posts
I drive around with my recovery hitch.

You might as well say driving around on the street with a diff cover makes you a poser. Or driving around with an extra set of lights makes you a poser.

I like mine, and its staying where it is. Its all a matter of opinion kids. Ultimately you should do what you want to and not care about what others may think.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DBAX said:
My $.02-
1- Driving around w/ a recovery hitch is for posers.
2- The latex dip is a waste of money.
3- The flashlight WILL pop out as it's mounted.
4- Wipe it down with alcohol before you spray, if you're gonna' go that route.
Sorry to be a downer..
:)
WOW DBAX, thanks for your help and honest opinion. For a second there I thought we were on XOC.
1. If this makes me a poser, then anyone who has a shrock bumber with shackles on them and is not at that moment out in the bush or mud using the recovery point, a poser. I go offroading, and it will get used now that I found one.
2. Agree, bought paint.
3. The flashlight is in ther snug, it is actually hard to get out, but we will see when I hit the trails.
4. Thanks for the advice

·
on line
3,218 Posts
"You might as well say driving around on the street with a diff cover makes you a poser."
If that cover never sees a rock, than yes, you are a poser. Lights, can go either way. Had half a dozen on the Gen1 and rarely used them. Handy when needed yes, but hardly ever used.
BTW, folks prolly see things different in the wastelands of Akron than they may here in the Southwest, where we have rocks, and mountains, and places to wheel w/o having to pay an entrance fee..

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
I have a question...

When people try to "get tough" on the internet. Does it make you feel better?

This is NOT the XOC. Let's keep it that way.

This is an open minded forum, so childish name calling will not get you far.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Your actually bashing me for having to drive to an offroad park to wheel? Pretty retarded comment.

My diff cover has plenty of gouges thanks.

The extra lights on my bumper are just for show, the work, but i think i have actually used them a total of 4 times.

Thanks for the useful post bud.

Im going to go back to the suburbs of akron and take some photos with all us rich folks driving on top of snow piles at the local mall.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts