·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2/23 General Meet: 9am at the McDonald's in Palmdale
131 E PALMDALE BLVD
PALMDALE, CA 93550

Last Chance Canyon Trail #23
Beautiful Remote canyon with some awesome scenery, historical sites, rock formations, Buttes, etc. about 10 miles long with two routes in the canyon one high road that’s suitable for any truck and several optional low routes that offer some rock crawling for mild to more difficult with a waterfall climb. After lunch at Cudahy camp we will climb up pass the Red Buttes and hook up with the Burro Summit Tunnel trail.

Burro Schmitt Tunnel / Sheep Springs trails

These are about 15 miles combined with attractions such as the mine sites, tunnel, cabin and petroglyphs, petrified wood, etc as the main draw rather than the wheeling which is easy. These are the type of trails that you go on for the scenery, sites, and to explore some of the best remote backcountry trails in the area.

There are 3+ primitive camps off the Sheep Springs trail and some more developed ones in Red Rock State Park that has some interesting stuff to see/do nearby inside the park and by the Dove Springs OHV area.

Red Rock St Park (abbot drive off SR 14) for camping either night or other stuff:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=631

EP 15 Goler Cyn – Challenging trail, rock sliders needed.

One of the best wash/canyon type trails around IMO and reminded me of some of the ones in Death Valley but with a bit more challenge in Not really well marked or known after a certain ways but some great rock formations, waterfall,s narrow canyon wall sections, and what not. This would be the exit point back to the hard road: Ransberg.

Reference / GPS:
Backcountry Adventures: So Cal by Massey & Wilson
Last Chance Canyon Trail #23
Burro Schmidt Tunnel #24
Sheep Spring #25

Please post up if you're interested, have some other ideas, trails, etc.

There are two paths inside LCC, the high (stock) road and the lower with more rocks for those that want more challenge...basically pick your own lines.

Rest of the stuff 4x4 is fine, couple of tight and/rocky spots in goler but stock height is fine minus step rails.

Most likely camp at sheep springs unless we find something else more intresting.

·
on line
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Great run, Last Chance Canyon turned very technical with recent rain. Great driving by stock, near stock and modified Xterras.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
What happened to the black X?

·
on line
1,149 Posts
DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! I wish i was there for this one. One a much better note, i spent half of Sat and all of Sunday installing my complete PRG lift. Finally! It was a toss up between this run, installing the lift, or mountain biking. I chose the lift and im glad i did. There's always a next time and for sure you can count me in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts